REL Subs for 2 channel

Options
Anyone have any 1st hand experience with REL subs in their 2 channel system & if so what model & your thoughts on their performance. I've always been curious about the brand.
"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
ยซ1

Comments

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,670
    Options
    Some of the best subs on the market. I have a pair of Carbons in my 2 channel. They wonโ€™t be leaving anytime soon.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,376
    Options
    S/510 pair for home theater and S/812 single for two channel for me. I thought about getting a second S/812 but that would be way overkill. As it is they run at about 1/3rd potential volume.

Best subs I've ever had, and I've had quite a few. They elevate a whole system's performance and don't just boom and rattle things. Very easy to set up and integrate seamlessly too without DSP. May be better for it.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,611
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Hi, Phil! I have two of their T/5x subs running with my RTA 15TLs. I am super-happy with them. Very well built and finished units.

I probably wouldโ€™ve gone with the T/7x if my dealer wouldโ€™ve had them in stock, but these have enough power for 90% of my listening and fill the listening area in my open basement remarkably well.

I donโ€™t know your thoughts on cables, but their Bassline Blue cables made a pretty noticeable difference, even on the smaller T/5x.
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,004
    Options
    Hey Brian,

The REL site recommends a T5x for my room size (13x30, 390sq ft considered a medium size room according to them) & my LRS Maggie's...the site actually doesn't have LRS listed but the MMG which are the previous model before the LRS.
    I also put in the .7i to see what they recommend & the T7x is recommended if I ever move up the line.
    My thoughts are to go with dual T5x if I do make the move.
    The only sticky point is I absolutely love my KEF KC62 sub but just might want to try something different.

I'll definitely check out their cable line.

Are you still enjoying the Giselli DAC.

Phil
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Have a HT1003, very musical sub especially for one specifically designed for home theater. Tight, fast, detailed bass from an entry-level sub.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • Emlyn
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I wouldn't swap out KC62s for subs in the Rel T/ line and expect much improvement for music. If the KC62s weren't already there I'd say try out something from Rel. Their system recommendation pairings are based as much on driver speed as amp power with a smaller subwoofer driver often pairing better with a smaller output speaker. The T/9x would be too much for the smallest Magnepans. I would recommend a pair of T/7x though for future growth potential.
    Post edited by Emlyn on
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,118
    Options
    I have a REL S5 and it was great for two channel listening however the L800โ€™s donโ€™t need it anymore. I have still not had time to play around with much since my youngest was born
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

โ€œWhen once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.โ€โ€” Thomas Jefferson
  • bcwsrt
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Hey Brian,

The REL site recommends a T5x for my room size (13x30, 390sq ft considered a medium size room according to them) & my LRS Maggie's...the site actually doesn't have LRS listed but the MMG which are the previous model before the LRS.
    I also put in the .7i to see what they recommend & the T7x is recommended if I ever move up the line.
    My thoughts are to go with dual T5x if I do make the move.
    The only sticky point is I absolutely love my KEF KC62 sub but just might want to try something different.

I'll definitely check out their cable line.

Are you still enjoying the Giselli DAC.

Phil

Yes, sir! The J2 is still getting a near-daily workout. Iโ€™m contemplating a one-box streamer which would displace the J2 from my main system, but if I do that, Iโ€™ll repurpose it to a headphone rig that Iโ€™ve been wanting to put together. Still very happy with it!

For me, the cables did exactly what REL describes they do for the sound. Something about โ€œilluminatingโ€ the soundstage, or however they talk about it. Just really opened up the mids in my system, along with a slight tightening of the bass, itself. It was pretty dramatic what they did for the soundstage imaging. Instantly noticeable.

But what I like as much or more than the sounds is that I could get a more reasonable 3m length to replace the 10m long stock cables and also they are terminated with spade terminals and not just bare wire.

Have fun with your decision!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    Options
    Hello Phil,
    Rel Subwoofers do perform very well and very good for music. BUT I suggest checking out JL Audio subwoofers, in your case the E line.
    Look them over and let me know if they excite you.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,832
    Options
    REL subs are very good, but if you want the best take a look at the Velodyne DD+ models.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pearsall001
    Options
    Hey guys,

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I'll definitely check them all out.

Dan, I'll give you a call one night this week to discuss the JL line.

Jesse, I currently have a Velo SPL 1200 doing HT duty & I can attest to Velo's quality & performance. I'll give their DD line a look.

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,380
    Options
    I heard that there are two lines that are on sale re: REL subs. (Came up on my FB feed). Might want to check it out....up to $300 off. FWIW.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Emlyn
    Options
    The T/ and HT/ lines are on sale currently. That happens quite often with those. The S/ line isn't on sale and they haven't had a sale price on those for a few months. I got mine at quite a discount on sale last year.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    I spoke with the fellows at REL & they recommended a stereo pair of T/7X for my size room & to match up with the Maggie LRS speakers.

Now I will check out some of the other companies to see what sub they recommend.
  • Emlyn
    edited October 2023
    Options
    SVS would recommend an SB3000 or SB4000. Neither are good recommendations for music paired with the LRS. Even their SB2000 is too slow and not an ideal combo.

Rel doesn't tend to oversell product which is something I appreciate.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Our audiophile club is having a zoom with REL's John Hunter this friday. You can talk to him about his subs.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Pretty cool! What time on Fri?
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Thanks for all the recommendations guys!

I pulled the trigger on dual REL T/7x.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    FedEx just delivered the subs...it should be a fun weekend!
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Awesome!
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,079
    Options
    Came for pics.... Leaving sad ๐Ÿ˜ข
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    I got a late start this morning. Gotta keep the wife happy ๐Ÿ˜Š
    Here's a few pics starting off with location #1 to hear how the integration sounds in that location. I'm sure it will take a few tries to really nail it.

If I must say these are absolutely gorgeous & built like a tank. Let the fun begin!1d0m3a53ff4u.jpg
    o6sxtmle6fqt.jpg
    go3ncpei57w9.jpg
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,079
    Options
    Looking awesome!

Now we need a full length review! ๐Ÿš€๐Ÿš€
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    Super-cool! Took 3 or 4 tries for my T/5xs to find their Happy Place. Still think about moving them again every once in a while just for fun, but then I just sit and enjoy them instead.

Brian

• Emlyn
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I found their setup videos available on Youtube to be very helpful. Turned out to be very easy to get two dialed in one at a time then backed off on volume. If used in home theater as well as stereo both high level and LFE are available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7SrCv7ZA_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDQbyNYQu-A
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: ยป
    I found their setup videos available on Youtube to be very helpful. Turned out to be very easy to get two dialed in one at a time then backed off on volume. If used in home theater as well as stereo both high level and LFE are available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7SrCv7ZA_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDQbyNYQu-A

Thanks for the links. I'll definitely check them out.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,963
    Options
    So instead of creating a new thread....there is a guy "locally" who has 2 T7s for sale no boxes but look pretty pretty good in the pics. Assuming there are no functional issues, what would y'all offer for them? I have been subless for awile now and it may be time to mate these up w the L200s. Thoughts?
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    Are they the previous generation T/7i, or the current T/7x?

Brian

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,963
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: ยป
    Are they the previous generation T/7i, or the current T/7x?
    T7i

• bcwsrt
    Options
    I'd think somewhere around $1,000-$1,200 for the pair. Get up around $1,500 and you're in used T/7x territory.

Boxes matter if you ever have to ship them for service, so I'd feel better at $1,000, but if they're local and you don't have to pay for / fuss with shipping them, that's worth something, too, of course.

Brian