RTI Tweeters

13»

Answers

• zvucnik
    zvucnik Posts: 49
    A7 is probably going to be fine with this Dayton tweeter, however the question is will A6 be fine with it as well given its lower crossover point?

Product Specifications
    Cone / Dome Diameter 1"
    Cutout Diameter 1.34
    Tweeter Type Soft Dome
    Power Handling (RMS) 20 Watts
    Impedance 4Ω
    Frequency Response 2,500 to 20,000Hz
    Sensitivity 90dB 2.83V/1m

Thiele-Small Parameters
    Resonant Frequency (Fs) 1350Hz
    DC Resistance (Re) 3.2Ω
    Voice Coil Inductance (Le) 0.04mH
    Mechanical Q (Qms) 3.87
    Electromagnetic Q (Qes) 2.61
    Total Q (Qts) 1.56
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,386
    zvucnik wrote: »
    A7 is probably going to be fine with this Dayton tweeter, however the question is will A6 be fine with it as well given its lower crossover point?

Product Specifications
    Cone / Dome Diameter 1"
    Cutout Diameter 1.34
    Tweeter Type Soft Dome
    Power Handling (RMS) 20 Watts
    Impedance 4Ω
    Frequency Response 2,500 to 20,000Hz
    Sensitivity 90dB 2.83V/1m

Thiele-Small Parameters
    Resonant Frequency (Fs) 1350Hz
    DC Resistance (Re) 3.2Ω
    Voice Coil Inductance (Le) 0.04mH
    Mechanical Q (Qms) 3.87
    Electromagnetic Q (Qes) 2.61
    Total Q (Qts) 1.56

I'm thinking probably not. According to the 2nd article I posted, you want a crossover frequency 1-1/2 to 2 octaves above Fs, for a 12dB/octave filter. I think you'd either need to add a notch filter or modify the crossover to 18dB/octave.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,985
    edited October 2023
    @gp4jesus What about A6?
    l hafta pull my computer from my mouth as I’ve learned along w/anyone following this thread can see I don’t know how to determine which XO components do what
    Did you swap tweeters on yours with daytons?
    I’m sorry to admit I haven’t performed any work on my Dayton/Polk swap in months as an oversized backyard project* (for one person) has consumed most of my time & energy… …but the hardest portion of the current phase of the above* is nearly complete & winter is coming

side note: the Polk tweeter seems to be ok EXO’d @ 2.2K LR 4th order in my A6 & A7s

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,344
    Yet another example of the new guy not listening.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• zvucnik
    edited October 2023
    so I played with Xsim and replicated, the best I could (without inductor coil values, I used 0.15 mH), CSi A6 crossover to see where is the original actual tweeter crossover frequency.

Does anyone know the actual values of the inductor coils in the A6?

Looking at this graph looks to be close to 3000 Hz or am I reading this wrong (tweeter is green curve, red and orange are woofers)?

cj90222h9c5q.png
    Post edited by zvucnik on
  • zvucnik
    edited October 2023
    found RTiA series schematics: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/198242/rtia-crossover-schematics

updated A6 Xsim FR with correct inductor core values and it looks like tweeter is crossed over at 2500Hz:
    wwn70mtruoqf.png

A6
    73biupxjes82.png

A5
    52ovlzvl80u5.png

A7
    bdjrbzg4ehb8.png
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 929
    So is your end plan to just rebuild the crossovers with new values to support the Dayton tweeter?