Monitor 7 Mods / RDO-198 Question.

Options
Looking at the schematics for Monitor 7’s with the SL2500 I have a couple questions.

One there is no polyswitch shown in the schematics so is it necessary to still incorporate the .5 ohm resistor?

Two what about the 5.8 shunt cap to use the RDO-198, should that still be used?

I had or misplaced some notes I kept from posts that westmasguy had posted but I can not find them, as I knew I would be doing this someday..

Thanks..

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,195
    Options
    I think the 7C has the same crossover and active drivers as the 5B, so the TL mod for the 5B works. This is westmassguy's thread:

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/192120/monitor-7-with-tl-upgrade
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Looking at the schematics for Monitor 7’s with the SL2500 I have a couple questions.

One there is no polyswitch shown in the schematics so is it necessary to still incorporate the .5 ohm resistor?

Two what about the 5.8 shunt cap to use the RDO-198, should that still be used?

I had or misplaced some notes I kept from posts that westmasguy had posted but I can not find them, as I knew I would be doing this someday..

Thanks..

The RD0198 is supposed to drop in to replace the SL2500 so personally I wouldn't do any modifications to the crossovers as it's already 'TL modded'. No need for an extra cap or resistor.

Definitely rebuild them with some better quality parts though
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,618
    Options
    Larry,
    If your monitor 7's came with the SL2500 I would follow the "schematic_m7s_rev2.pdf"
    If they did not I would follow the "schematic_m5b_sl3000mod.pdf" and the link George provided.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,945
    Options
    I think the 7C has the same crossover and active drivers as the 5B, so the TL mod for the 5B works. This is westmassguy's thread:

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/192120/monitor-7-with-tl-upgrade

Perfect, thank you!! There was another post he did as well I had, but this helps..
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Larry,
    If your monitor 7's came with the SL2500 I would follow the "schematic_m7s_rev2.pdf"

If I use this schematic, I pretty much have everything here, it won't cost me much for the project.

And they are all Sonicaps. But my question is still, do I use the 5.8 shunt cap? (and I do have 2 here) I am surprised there is no fuse block or polyswitch in the schematic for this model.

If they did not I would follow the "schematic_m5b_sl3000mod.pdf" and the link George provided.

If I do this, and use Sonicaps the 34uf alone is a little over $100.00ea.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,618
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Larry,

If I use this schematic, I pretty much have everything here, it won't cost me much for the project.

And they are all Sonicaps. But my question is still, do I use the 5.8 shunt cap? (and I do have 2 here) I am surprised there is no fuse block or polyswitch in the schematic for this model.

The 5.8 is a contouring cap from my understanding. I'm also thinking they took care of that with the 8uf over the resistor and subtle changes in the series 2 schematic.
    It doesn't appear there is any need for the 5.8uf cap in the series 2 schematic. The last SDA 3.1 they didn't use a polyswitch in that model either. So at some point Polk was not using fuses or polyswitches in the XO designs.

• Toolfan66
    Options
    Larry,

The 5.8 is a contouring cap from my understanding. I'm also thinking they took care of that with the 8uf over the resistor and subtle changes in the series 2 schematic.
    It doesn't appear there is any need for the 5.8uf cap in the series 2 schematic. The last SDA 3.1 they didn't use a polyswitch in that model either. So at some point Polk was not using fuses or polyswitches in the XO designs.

My thoughts exactly on the 8uf.

I am just going to build with that schematic, as I have the following in my closet, it only makes sense, and I am actually just doing this for fun..

2 12uf Sonicap
    2 27uf Sonicap
    2 2.7ohm Mills resistors
    2 RDO98 Tweeters
    2 Sets of Cardas Binding Posts
    Plenty of Super Rondo internal wiring
    BH5
    Rings
    Robs Tweeter Billet Face Plates

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Larry,

^^^^This^^^^
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Toolfan66
    edited August 2023
    Options
    So it looks like the later monitor 7’s the cabinets are a little different with the grill pegs being on the grills themselves, the binding post cup is lower as well.

So is the grill still made of MDF or plastic I wonder..

qs2gvj6ris1c.jpeg
    arnbhc4jvzn5.jpeg
    13zaxpq8voti.jpeg