Isoacoustics

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,057
Hello everyone,
As one of the training courses we had a World wide yesterday was Isoacoustics. The GAIA isolation feet for speakers are very impressive. The built quality was top notch. I plan on picking up a set.

They also have other products that I want to explore. I have not been down this path since I left Audiolab back in 2013 so getting back into 2 channel things is fun.

Anyone use any of their products? I'm strongly considering their Subwoofer platforms as well for both of my subs.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    I use Gaia isolation feet on all of my speakers except Magnepans and find them to make a profound difference from bass through midrange. Everything's better defined and punchy. I have tried their isolation feet for electronic components but haven't noticed any significant difference with those yet. Most likely because my two channel gear is already well isolated from vibrations.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Interested to hear more about your experiences with the Gaia feet.

I had massive vibration problems occurring with my SVS Pro 1000 sub. During big bass passages it was physically bouncing when I used the supplied feet intended to protect hardwood floors, rather than supplied spikes.

I purchased Pangea Sorbothane feet, and they completely eliminated the unwanted vibrations for $$. These include clear plastic discs to put under the feet to prevent discoloration of the floor.

Pico feet are for smaller/lightweight gear, and there are “Mega Large” sorbothane feet for similar cost.

Just an FYI in case the Iso Acoustics sub platform costs more.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • mantis
    Options
    Has anyone tried out the SVS isolation feet? They are much cheaper only $49 vs $199 for the GAIA models. I'm wondering how much of a difference each foot would make vs each other on a subwoofer and a Speaker?

This is something I'd like to test out.
    Dan
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    This convo is opening a can of worms for me.

Aren’t there several different Iso Acoustics feet for speakers? Or is that equipment?

@mantis / emlyn - can you clarify this?
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    Options
    I tried the giaa and quickly returned them.

They dramatically change the sound, whether or not you like it is of course personal preference
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    I tried the SVS feet when I had a HSU sub, they helped with vibration and the bass seemed clearer to me. Well worth the cost.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,189
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Looking at Isoacoustic's tech info. it seems clear that they are mostly dampening devices and have a fairly high resonant frequency (around 270 Hz?) which would tend to alter the sound by emphasizing some frequencies. This wouldn't occur if the resonant frequency was below the audio band (like around 2 Hz or so) which is what Towshend Audio does. Oh and also the Bungee Cords they used were clearly way too stiff as well.

3orxajjxbuqb.jpg

George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Emlyn
    Options
    I would stick with the add on SVS feet if the subwoofer sits in a hard surface. They do all that’s needed with a subwoofer. On carpeted floors may be a different story.
  • Emlyn
    Options
    Gaia models are designed to match with speakers in different weight ranges. If a speaker is outside the weight range it will crush the isolation/control material rendering it useless. Box speakers tend to be front heavy because of the driver location and front baffle being thicker but I think the feet are designed to accommodate that. Size up if the speaker is near the upper limit on weight. For example L800s require Gaia I rather than Gaia II.
  • mantis
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    I tried the giaa and quickly returned them.

They dramatically change the sound, whether or not you like it is of course personal preference
    I gotta assume you where use to the way your system sounded and didn't like the change. They isolate the speaker, tighten up the bass and clear up the mid range. Plus with the added height , it gives the Tweeter more room to breath.

Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    Milito wrote: »
    I tried the SVS feet when I had a HSU sub, they helped with vibration and the bass seemed clearer to me. Well worth the cost.

I thought so, they are 1/4 the price of the ISO stuff.
    Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I would stick with the add on SVS feet if the subwoofer sits in a hard surface. They do all that’s needed with a subwoofer. On carpeted floors may be a different story.

For $50I'm gonna give them a go.
    Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    Gaia models are designed to match with speakers in different weight ranges. If a speaker is outside the weight range it will crush the isolation/control material rendering it useless. Box speakers tend to be front heavy because of the driver location and front baffle being thicker but I think the feet are designed to accommodate that. Size up if the speaker is near the upper limit on weight. For example L800s require Gaia I rather than Gaia II.
    They talked about that in the class. If you go to their website, they have a Tool to help you select the correct feet for your speakers. Pretty cool

Dan
  • Emlyn
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I wouldn’t run an SVS sub on a wood floor without the add on feet. They help stick the subwoofers in place and keep the energy in driver movement rather than in the cabinet.

FWIW, Isoacoustics makes a line of three models above the Gaia for speakers above 180 lbs or so a piece called Titan. Same concept and design. All of them lift speakers 1 to 3 inches higher than stock feet which can affect ear height to tweeters a bit. I have noticed a handful of high end speaker manufacturers have started including the concept in their speakers.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,000
    Options
    Check out Aurelex Subdude isolation platforms. Thet have a few models depending on the application.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    I believe @marvda1 uses their stuff
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    I've tried the SVS feet. Actually, they came attached to an sb12 I bought used. On carpet, I felt they limited the sub. All tactile slam was lost. Spikes were much better. I suspect hard floors would be a different story.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,189
    edited April 2023
    Options

This is what they look like on the inside (from the patent). A pair of elastomeric dish shaped cushions connected together. Would have springiness and damping characteristics. These things are like $200, $296, $496 per set of 4 for the III, II, and I.

5a0bkq8v6tfa.jpg

d3jhe35ns4u4.jpg

Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    I found the SVS SoundPath Isolation feet to be very beneficial and cost-effective for my SVS sub. They tuned and tightened the bass in a positive way for me. My speakers are on a hardwood floor FWIW.

Regarding IsoAcoustics products, I've had good results with their ISO-Stands, although I think the Aperta series is the newest version of those types of stands. I've used the ISO-Stands for Polk Monitor 10, as well as other speakers. The speakers need to be properly placed/balanced on the stands, especially if tilted backwards a bit, but the stands can actually support fairly large/heavy speakers. The stands provide excellent...wait for it...isolation :)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    Mine were used on wood floors.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • mantis
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I've tried the SVS feet. Actually, they came attached to an sb12 I bought used. On carpet, I felt they limited the sub. All tactile slam was lost. Spikes were much better. I suspect hard floors would be a different story.
    I have a feeling you where not use to isolation. I think it's like a full calibration, most people feel they don't have enough bass when they where listening with way to much bass. A calibration like isolation should give you a more natural sound. It did in the demo I had with the Isoacoustics feet on the Focal's.

Dan
  • jbreezy5
    Options

This is what they look like on the inside (from the patent). A pair of elastomeric dish shaped cushions connected together. Would have springiness and damping characteristics. These things are like $200, $296, $496 per set of 4 for the III, II, and I.

5a0bkq8v6tfa.jpg

d3jhe35ns4u4.jpg

Pricey feet. Whew!