Next step in the journey….

Options
tratliff
tratliff Posts: 1,662
edited March 2023 in 2 Channel Audio
Well. I took a large step last evening in my audio journey. Packed up the Legacy’s and sent them to a new home.

Moved the PSB’s into my listening room thinking - ok this will hold me over till I get a new pair. These work ok in my office but not going to work here.

Time for decision.

New setup below.

wmv7f7s1zj3a.jpeg
2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    Time to grab some Whispers

😉
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,518
    Options
    Interesting
    Following
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    How about a pair of these, just saying B)https://rossofiorentino.com/volterra/
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • tratliff
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Time to grab some Whispers

😉

I loved my Legacy’s but time to move on.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,129
    Options
    What’s coming in next???
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • marvda1
    Options
    Bose?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • displayname
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    Bose?

The obvious choice
    Discogs
  • tratliff
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Bose?

Hell yeah. 901’s hanging from the ceiling by chains like my dad had before he bought the SDA SRS’s in about 1980. Powered by Pioneer Spec 1 & 2.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »
    Bose?

Hell yeah. 901’s hanging from the ceiling by chains like my dad had before he bought the SDA SRS’s in about 1980. Powered by Pioneer Spec 1 & 2.

Man those were the days!
  • tratliff
    edited March 2023
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Bose?

Man those were the days!

Wish it was that easy.

It’s crazy. Back in those days I was 10’ish and had a free pass to operate my dads systems. Learned a lot. He trusted me more than I would trust anyone with mine today.
    Post edited by tratliff on
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options

Man! Those would be sweet!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    I forgot you still had a set of PSB. T2 right?
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tratliff
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    I forgot you still had a set of PSB. T2 right?

Yes T2s

• tratliff
    Options

Good guess Marvin. Yes I’ll be adding a pair of Rosso Fiorentino Volterra S2’s. Just need to decide on finish. Then wait out the build/delivery time.

• displayname
    Options
    Very enticing! I’m jealous. Those are going to look tiny compared to your former legacy’s. Enjoy the extra space, and the fresh new sound.
    Discogs
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    I really enjoy PSB speakers. We have sold them for years. We dropped them years ago in favor of Revel and Monitor Audio.

In the meantime until you decide on your next speaker pair, I suggest a change in placement. I would move one of your Red Subwoofers to the back opposite corner of whatever one you decide to keep in the front. I'd also move it slightly closer to the corner so you can widen the PSB's .

I have found that PSB speakers like about 3/4 the distance of the seating area apart. You can try Equal distance and toe in slightly but the 3/4 distance has always worked for me.

I would aim the Tweeters so the fire past your head and come to a point about 3 feet beind the listening area.

Depending on height of the Tweeter to your ear height , usually measured in the 40 inch range, you can put a slight upward tilt on them and man does that open up the sound stage.

With some tweaks , I think you can enjoy those very nice speakers in the meantime.

Anyway , what are you after? I'm curious as Lagacy's are damn good sounding speakers, which model did you have and what about them made you sell them off? There are so many choices it gets a bit insane.

Is that a VPI table on the right?

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tratliff
    Options
    @mantis Placement was not much of a consideration in what you see in the picture. That was just a quick drop in the general area and have a listen. I expect to work on placement over the next week....

The Rels will stay up front as that is where I have had them and they function very well in a stereo configuration.

I had the Legacy Focus S/E's for the last few years. They were great speakers but I am looking for a more refined sound now. Planning to add a pair of Rosso Fiorentino Volterra S2’s.

Yes, that is a VIP Prime with a SoundSmith cart.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,314
    Options
    Which one of the Soundsmith carts ya' have, if you don't mind me asking?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tratliff
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »

Tom

Zephyr MIMC
  • displayname
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »

Tom

Zephyr MIMC

And it is NICE! I've had the pleasure of hearing the system with the Legacy's. That TT/cart combo was really excellent. I would gladly add that vinyl front end to my system.
    Discogs
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    I never heard the Rosso Fiorentino Volterra S2. I don't remember seeing them at any of the Audio shows I have been to. What are they like?

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • displayname
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Here's some more recent input:
    If the first clip doesn't start at the right time, jump to 11:15.

https://youtu.be/6KmJqRsJBGI?t=675

https://youtu.be/7GyftmQSECU
    At least one other member here has them (@marvda1). Really excellent.
    Discogs
  • erniejade
    Options
    Congrats!!. For my Florida condo, I am still on the fence on what I am going to put in there since my Tyler's will not work in that place. The T2 is on my list.
    So is the pienza 2 and the Polk L600. It needs to be slim or bookshelf or, powered bookshelf.

Right now, I have a small set of The Vanatoo Transparent One and a velodyne 8" sub. Sounds good for what it is but, its not my end game for when I finally move. It works for now as temporary. I am really leaning towards the pienza 2, Norma 70 with my Innuos and Boarder Patrol se-i.

Anyway, you will love those speakers!! Great choice!!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • marvda1
    Options
    I'm still waiting on you to get a musetec 005 so i will know what it sounds like :D
    Puritan PSM156
  • erniejade
    Options
    I'm still waiting on you to get a musetec 005 so i will know what it sounds like :D
    You should check out that Gustard I borrowed from Rich. It was darn good for the $.

@tratliff when do the come in?
  • tratliff
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I had an opportunity this week to make a change to my phono pre. You may have seen me post the Parasound JC3 in the for sale section.

I was lucky to come across a Modwright PH 150. I really like having all adjustments on the front. This is the new addition.

o2zclx5xrtw8.jpeg
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Beautiful! I have a PH9.0x and my dad has a 150. Love the Modwright gear, that is truly an end game piece
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius