What was your favorite receiver of all time?

Options
2»

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    Although I never owned one, the Denon 5xxx series of monster receivers of the 90's always made me lustful.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,196
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Tough one there...HT, 2-ch, vintage, modern...
    I have a list maybe?
    The Mighty Onkyo TX-SR805 was amazing for its time. HDMI switching, Lossless Audio codecs, and the power output in all channels driven has not been matched by a mainstream under $1000 receiver since. Unfortunately, the HDMI boards were crap and they are pretty much all paperweights now. I sold mine off with one bad HDMI output.
    Vintage, its hard to beat the overall combination of the 1976 Pioneer models. The SX-1050 is my favorite.
    80's era, I had a beautiful Luxman R-117 for a several years. Never really found a spot for it and sold it off. One of my biggest regrets... huge power, great tuner, simple reliable.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Well, shoot...with my (relative) inexperience in this subject, AND sticking with the idea that a 'receiver' should include (at least) an FM tuner, I will throw out the following few examples...

Yup. Yer durned tootin'! (i.e., yes, you are correct) B)
    A receiver has to receive something -- something transmitted. Like radio. :)

Speaking of Luxman receivers (as some had) -- some of their 1970s components were, I'd opine, some of the most beautiful ever. This is one of just a couple I have/had, current out on extended loan to a hifi fellow traveler in the southeastern part of the state. Aesthetically, this series of Lux equipment was my favorite. There was an integrated amp (and tuner) in the series too. :)

29462356253_76c83039f3_b.jpg

This is an R-1040 (40 wpc). Its big sibling, the R-1070, is incrementally even sexier looking. :p

2wc99uxzp0l2.png
    (borrowed photo from Reverb -- I would not mind having an R-1070... but, so far, I don't)
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,054
    edited July 2023
    Options
    xsmi wrote: »
    My old Dolby Pro-Logic Yamaha RX-V2090. That thing is STILL a beast and seems to drive ANYTHING without breaking a sweat.

I picked a 2090 up as a $25 addon while buying a pair of 1C studios for $100. I still have it and am amazed at how well it drives different speakers and how musical it sounds!

I have had a couple of Pioneer Elite receivers over the years including most recently, a SC67. Great sounding receivers! Each was a memorable upgrade that I thoroughly enjoyed. I have to say my favorite receiver of all time is my current Marantz 7704. Audyssey + Atmos has taken dual sub calibration and overall home theater experience to an entirely new level. MCACC on the Pioneers was limited to single sub calibration and the difference is now very noticeable.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,196
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Speaking of Luxman receivers (as some had) -- some of their 1970s components were, I'd opine, some of the most beautiful ever. This is one of just a couple I have/had, current out on extended loan to a hifi fellow traveler in the southeastern part of the state. Aesthetically, this series of Lux equipment was my favorite. There was an integrated amp (and tuner) in the series too. :)

29462356253_76c83039f3_b.jpg

This is an R-1040 (40 wpc). Its big sibling, the R-1070, is incrementally even sexier looking. :p

They sure were pretty, inside and out. I had an R-1050 for a little while. Another one that I wish I had kept.

ju11e9w8lh6r.jpg
    bq7qvd2tg5p6.jpg
    qoimq0uh4xdr.jpg

For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I actually had meant to mention the R-1050, but my somewhat age-addled memory went to the R-1070, which was probably a model cycle later, given the difference in the shape of the LEDs. At any rate... yeah, the R-1050. Hubba-hubba. :)

I also had an R-1030 (somewhat later, and neither as pretty nor as well made) for a while, but it didn't impress me the way the earlier Lux receivers did. :|

• dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,054
    Options
    The mention of the Yamaha 2090 inspired me to dust mine off today and get a stored pair of Polk Monitor 5's hooked back up. Add in a pair of late 90's era terminator 2 speaker cables and they are sounding sweet. The 2090 is quite musical.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,064
    Options
    H/K 7300. This this was/is a beast. I actually probably liked the 7200 better than the 7300, but it bit the dust very prematurely (thus why I ever owned a 7300…after a long debate with Incredible Universe).

I need to sell it, but at about 70lbs shipping will be a deal breaker.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    Honestly, the best receiver I have heard is the one I have now, the Arcam AVR20. I loved the Pioneers I have had, and the Yammy RX-v2090 was a beast, but the Arcam is truly next level.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    MrGeology wrote: »
    Picked up an RX-V2095 last week and passed my RX-V2300 on to my mom.
    They both sound awesome, the 2095 weighs a bit more.
    Forgot to wipe prints off before pics for all you neat freaks out there lol.
    g3zqzobcqgka.jpg
    I was a huge Yamaha fan in my early days of home theater. I had the RXV992 and the RXV995.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,693
    Options
    It's a toss-up between Elton John, Ru Paul, and Richard Simmons.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,925
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Ill say my Pioneer Elite SC 05 which was sent to receiver heaven by a lightning strike!
    I had the SC-07. What a great line back then.

Still have mine, it’s been boxed up for a few years now..
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,064
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    It's a toss-up between Elton John, Ru Paul, and Richard Simmons.
    s9iwlflx9puk.gif

Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    H/K 7300. This this was/is a beast. I actually probably liked the 7200 better than the 7300, but it bit the dust very prematurely (thus why I ever owned a 7300…after a long debate with Incredible Universe).

I need to sell it, but at about 70lbs shipping will be a deal breaker.

Haha for a minute I was racking my brain to remember if I sold that to you lol.

Mine is probably the HK AVR745, one generation newer than the 7300. Not as heavy, but still sounded really good and it was the first avr I could get HDMI audio through and I remember being blown away at the sound quality improvement…good times!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    Options
    Sold a decade or two ago but while stationed at Elgin AFB I did have at least 2 visits from MP’s asking to turn it down…

Sansui G9700

38ri5qr9ynzo.jpeg
    sijx76hxisgc.jpeg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,159
    Options
    I'm pretty much a babe in the woods compared to most....well, probably "all" on here and judging by some of the photos, y'all go back a ways....I've only owned two receivers, the TX-NR807 Onkyo and the DTR-70.4 Integra. Although the 807 was a decent entry level AVR, the Integra was clearly my favorite.

I've since moved onto my second processor by now.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    I'm pretty much a babe in the woods compared to most....well, probably "all" on here and judging by some of the photos, y'all go back a ways....I've only owned two receivers, the TX-NR807 Onkyo and the DTR-70.4 Integra. Although the 807 was a decent entry level AVR, the Integra was clearly my favorite.

I've since moved onto my second processor by now.

the DTR70.4 is a beast. It has wonderful power, sounds clean clear and punchy. I like the Interga models from then and the new ones are pretty awesome as well.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Gotta go with Jerry Rice or Chris Carter.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options

I'll take tight end Gronk for the win; plowing through everyone in sight.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Gronk was much beloved in the Bay State for a while.
    :#
  • nooshinjohn
    Options

Gronk was a tight-end…

• mhardy6647
    Options

Gronk was a tight-end…

Reminding me of a joke that I cannot actually post here. :#
  • Viking64
    Options
    This conversation reminds me of the "Men On Film" skit from the "In Living Color Super Bowl Special" circa 1993. :o
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options
    This conversation reminds me of the "Men On Film" skit from the "In Living Color Super Bowl Special" circa 1993. :o

Dude!! Loved that show. David Allen Greer was a guest instructor with us one summer with a track day org called 2FAST. Dude could ride a bike really well but was not on par with us race instructors.....during lunch, we were in the instructor tent eating and shooting the s h * t and David starts talking about how he was getting two wheel drifts in turn 2 at our Seattle track. Not likely, I didn't even do that at race speeds....so, being the unfiltered guy I am, I said....Dude!! you WERE hauling a s s when I went by you, wrote a song about, like to hear it here it go.......
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Viking64
    Options
    I remember he did another character (maybe "Al MacAfee") that was an angry high school principal. Do you remember when he was the guy from 2LiveCrew trying to write an "all ages" song for a Christmas Special? HAHAHAHAHA
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2023
    Options
    ^^^ Nice lookin' Mac*. The off-center channel FM tuning (at least, as indicated by the meter) is triggering my low-key OCD, though. ;)
    http://www.roger-russell.com/stech.htm
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    ^^^^^^I had a Stereotech 1200 here for a while. It seemed to follow the Mac tradition of being heavy and well built. While it was here I scoured every millimeter of that 1200 for anything that said Mcintosh. There was no trace of the name anywhere.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited December 2023
    Options

https://youtu.be/QuRj77ByAeY?t=46
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options
    ^^^^ This one is the best of all time. First saw this skit back in the mid '80s