What was your favorite receiver of all time?

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,031
Over the years I have owned so many different receivers. There has been many I considered to top my all time favorite. I'll probably do a top 5 or to 3 or something like that but here , Only the #1 will do. Runner up is always a nice touch just to say.

I owned the B&K AVR307. Back in the early 2000's I got to train in New York at B&K and really got to see one be built from a circuit board to a fully functional AVR.

The. AVR307 was a real built separates in one chassis. it has a Ref30 preamp built inside , and a ST125.7 amp. I know this for a fact, I saw it built.

Anyway, the B&K was special. It sounded so damn good, very powerful, you can run very high end speakers on it with ease. It could power a large room and not have to catch it's breath.

A unique feature of this AVR is really 2 things. One B&K had a upgrade program to upgrade the AVR when the times changed. They had a AV317 program where you sent it to B&K and they updated it to the latest Tech at that time.

The other feature that was unique then was the ability to re wire the surround back channels to Zone 2 powered. This was a big deal back then , no external amp was needed IF you main channel system was a 5.1 system, the remaining channels could be used as a powered Zone 2. Big deal back than and it wasn't some switch inside, you actually had to take the AVR apart and actually re wire them on the main board. It was awesome.

My Runner up was the Mighty Pioneer Elite SC68. This Receiver was so awesome. Computer music was becoming very popular and Pioneer decided it was a good idea to build a actual USB DAC inside B style. I was so awesome, I did a full training back in the day with pure music and different Flac software high Rez music files. What a killer high end sounding AVR with a built in USB DAC. I miss that unit. I sold it for a SC99 which was nice and kept the USB DAC, actually it was Pioneer's last SUB DAC receiver. I miss those days.

What receiver was your all time favorite?

Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• mantis
    yfuo57pqi3q6.jpeg
    d18pi391mrmd.jpeg
    inkjfa8g4jed.jpeg
    Dan
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    AVR- 507 was incrementally better than the 307 I had. Had a Denon after that that was nice but didn't hold a candle during demanding moments.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Yamaha DSPA3090. Still own it. I think I paid 2k in 1996. “Only” 80 watts all channels .. it’s a beast. Maybe someday I will use it again
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Boy that tuning gang in the yamaha 3020 is a thing of beauty ;), Got to love a good tuning gang!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited February 2023
    my two big receivers, FWIW. Both are restored and work as they should -- but they're mostly shelf queens, because there's much better sounding stuff here to listen to. :) They are attractive, though.

16335232805_ea781758f6_b.jpg

If we think back to the styles of the seventies, it is astonishing (particularly in retrospect) how elegant some of the mid to late 1970s massmarket audio equipment was.

Some of it... ;)

b7doe5085fwu.png

Is this abomination (which I believe was foisted on an unsuspected public by Sears in Canada) evidence that Yamaha and Marantz receivers, mutated by exposure to airborne nuclear bomb testing, interbred? :o

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    I still have a Pioneer SC 07 sitting in a box, can't get myself to part with it..
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    I blew one of those carver receivers up in spectacular fashion, a flame about a foot tall came out of the top cover.
  • My Sansui G-9000.
    So Perdy… Do miss it.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The receiver I got the most out of compared to what I had previously had was a Marantz SR8002 because it was the first that had HDMI connections that allowed me to go from 480p to 1080p video and high resolution audio. The SR80xx models are all special products.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I still have a Pioneer SC 07 sitting in a box, can't get myself to part with it..

HOARDER !! I've been waiting years for the call...... I gave up bought Don's Elite receiver :D
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    Ill say my Pioneer Elite SC 05 which was sent to receiver heaven by a lightning strike!
  • mhardy6647
    invalid wrote: »
    I blew one of those carver receivers up in spectacular fashion, a flame about a foot tall came out of the top cover.

An erstwhile boss (the best one I had across my whole career, BTW) gave me one that (and he did know, and disclose, this) had issues. They were, shall we say, rather subject to mortality, as I recall. :#

dlg3wqm32p5m.jpg
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    B&K AVR 507 and Harman Kardon's HK 990 Integrated

I've only used each of these in 2ch. I really enjoy B&K stuff. I thought it paired really well with the 703s I ran in my secondary system. Spent many an eve relaxing before going to sleep in that space. Great chill sessions. Just nice, rich sound.

I also enjoyed programming the B&K AVRs and Ref50 units. Takes a while to get the hang of it, but it's pretty fun. Same with their remotes, which were versions of the URC (Universal Remote Control) models. You could download maps for devices, or learn in remotes that didn't have maps. Create macros, favorites, all kinds of neat customization. That all definitely took some time to learn, and sort of have to relearn it when you don't use it for a while, but I tried to keep good digital notes in Evernote with screenshots and stuf.

The HK 990 is probably one of the best 2ch integrateds I've heard. I just recently picked one up after waiting years since my first experience which went south after a purchase on Ebay arrived with shipping damage, and I had to fight to return for refund. I did get a chance to listen to it for a short while even though the faceplate was smashed. Beautiful sound, and it was my first experience with what the term "authoritative" means. The presentation was so well controlled, clean and lacked the congestion I was used to hearing. It was obvious what a good integrated could do. I must say that it surpassed the B&K for me, which is a dear favorite. It rivals my Musical Fidelity stuff, the A308 and A5, and has some additional features like onboard DAC, DSP, and EQ functionality. Good bit of customization.

Those four pieces will be in my collection for as long as they last.

I disabled signatures.
  • Was my Marantz 8802a and now is The 8805! These prees are a breeze and never freeze even if I wheeze I just say Geeze I’m so glad I sprung for Dees!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • mantis
    audioluvr wrote: »
    AVR- 507 was incrementally better than the 307 I had. Had a Denon after that that was nice but didn't hold a candle during demanding moments.
    I sold my 307 many years ago But I held on to my AVR507 S2 version. It just sits in my basement on my Audio storage rack . Both AVR's where great.

Dan
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Those S2 variants were just a smidge more refined, weren't they? I liked the squared off displays. Not that the gen 1s were bad. I think the menus worked a little differently, too. I have one of each.

The Ref50s are nice, too with the 200wpc amps, like the 200.2, but the Ref50 is a little bit of a crap shoot to buy. They were known for failures, unfortunately. I had one go bad on me. Kept it for parts, which came in handy years later.

The Ref5 S2 preamp is also a really nice, sweet simple piece. Very pleasing sound. Another great combo with the B&K amps for a clean 2ch separates setup. Should probably revisit some of this gear. When I last had it in use, I wasn't really into chasing the nuances. Or, more like, I just wasn't getting it. I'm kinda curious to see how this stuff compares now that I've had some of those more refined experiences, like spatial imaging.

My first B&K stuff was the Sonata line: the MC-101 preamp, EX-442 amp, and TS-108 tuner, all in bronze. I got it all with some cat-pissed Monitor 10s from a guy couple cities over. Still have it, @mhardy6647 -fying it up over here in my spare room. I should probably break it out and clean the controls on that preamp now that I have a good supply of Caig products thanks to @pitdogg2 . I remember it was pretty noisy. I still use that tuner sometimes. Looks a bit like this one, only not so junky. Has an outboard power supply, too.
    2egfxl63zkks.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    My old Dolby Pro-Logic Yamaha RX-V2090. That thing is STILL a beast and seems to drive ANYTHING without breaking a sweat.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • mantis
    xsmi wrote: »
    My old Dolby Pro-Logic Yamaha RX-V2090. That thing is STILL a beast and seems to drive ANYTHING without breaking a sweat.
    Man those where good years for Yamaha. I miss those days. That receiver was great, one of my favorites from that time. I liked the DSP-A1 . I had a RXV-992 and a RXV-995 back in the day.

Dan
  • MrGeology
    MrGeology Posts: 83
    Yamaha RX-V2300
    Yamaha RX-V659
    (Only two I have ever owned).
    "They’re not after me, they’re after you… I’m just standing in the way!” -Donald J. Trump, 45th President of the United States
  • MLK
    MLK Posts: 15
    Nostalgia - my first - this 15 wpc beast (Pioneer SX-450) from the 70's6t7fboy4fruk.jpg
  • MrGeology
    MrGeology Posts: 83
    edited May 2023
    Picked up an RX-V2095 last week and passed my RX-V2300 on to my mom.
    They both sound awesome, the 2095 weighs a bit more.
    Forgot to wipe prints off before pics for all you neat freaks out there lol.
    g3zqzobcqgka.jpg
    Post edited by MrGeology on
    "They’re not after me, they’re after you… I’m just standing in the way!” -Donald J. Trump, 45th President of the United States
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2023
    MrGeology wrote: »
    Picked up an RX-V2095...

They both sound awesome, the 2095 weighs a bit more...

g3zqzobcqgka.jpg

Well -- there you go, then.
    ;)

• newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 674
    I never owned one, but that vintage Marantz model 150 tuner with the oscilloscope definitely hits high on my list for its coolness factor.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Well, shoot...with my (relative) inexperience in this subject, AND sticking with the idea that a 'receiver' should include (at least) an FM tuner, I will throw out the following few examples.

MAC1700 - this unit (actual pic) was in my dad's collection, and included the wood case.
    f116d2hwxrqa.jpg

Sansui 9090 - again, from my dad's collection (actual pic)...he didn't realize what he had.
    savbb5yn1n15.jpg

Outlaw RR-2150 - I bought one of these receivers locally as part of a package deal. I don't have any personal pics, but these units are beasts - 100WPC>8 ohms, and 160WPC>4 ohms. Here's a stock image pic, which shows its vintage art deco design.
    0r4hjs50d9k0.jpg
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mantis
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Ill say my Pioneer Elite SC 05 which was sent to receiver heaven by a lightning strike!
    I had the SC-07. What a great line back then.
    Dan