Car Audio Receiver

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    number, just because the guy recommended sony at all, you can pretty much take any of his advice with a grain of salt
    its not just me...if you go to any forum...
    caraudiotalk.com
    caraudioforum.com
    the12volt.com
    theres countless others...
    everyone will tell you sony is crap...
    EVERYONE
    as far as bass goes, no matter what, youre not going to get much bass from a full range speaker
    just doesnt happen
    for your budget, go with the DB series, theyre AWESOME speakers for the price...i like them a lot
    definetely a great budget speaker
    i dont like infinity, they are harsh to my tastes...and the brand has had reliability issues...my momo's have reliability issues too though...
    your best bet is to go to circuit city and listen to the DB series and listen to the infinity's that are in the same price range, if you like the infinity's better, then by all means, grab them
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    your speakers are either 5.25 or 6.5, there are no 5.5" speakers to my knowledge
    and yes, those are great speakers, best of all, they dont really have to have an amp, running them off the head unit would be fine unless you really like to turn up the volume
    -Cody
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2004
    That's awesome!! No amp?!?! That means I could wait to get one 'til I actually could afford one; that's a novel idea!! :D
    So, that'd take $300 to fill out my Jeep, right? That's not too bad for Polk speakers, is it? Might be even less if I could manage to buy online; I think I have Mom persuaded. :D

I'm pretty sure they'd make enough bass for me; at least 'till I hear my friend's sub. The stock speakers almost put out enough for me. I like to have more than necessary, but I'm not crazy about it.

Could I put in the MMC525's out back and the db525 up front? Crutchfield doesn't list the MMC as being a 'fit' for the front of my Jeep; could I mix 'em like that? Or, would I be satisfied with just db's? I guess I'd really like the best one's up front, so I'd really rather have the MMC's up front and the db's out back.

One thought: do I really need rear speakers? I mean, it's a 2-door Cherokee. If I just get front speakers and then a sub for the back; how would that be? Should I get four speakers? Just a thought.

Keep all the info comin'!!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    no you dont need rear speakers...i saw this jeep thats pretty much exactly like yours on a cardomain site and they were able to get larger speakers in the doors...i will try my best to find it for you...but that might not be until like thursday:(
    if i can find it, the only time ill have is tonite, and im not sure if ill have the time...but ill def. look for you
    -Cody
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    Well, I certainly appreciate your and everybody's willingness to help so much. However, don't go to too much trouble for me; I'm sure I won't get speakers for a few months; maybe even not 'til Christmas. I'm just going to try to get an HU right now. I have to save up money before I can go full fledge. I also have to buy some shocks for it, so it'll be a while for the speakers. Take your time on the pic, Cody.

Thanks!!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    ok...that makes it easier...i know i found it on a forum somewhere...wasnt this one, probably wasnt the full size chevy forum either because its a jeep...im thinking it was car audio talk...if it was on car audio forum its probably lost forever...lol
    -Cody
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    I just had an idea: if I'm only going to have to buy speakers for the front, I might could afford a component system if I could find a place for the tweeters. What do y'all think about that? Though, what would I do with the hole for it when I sold the Jeep and ripped out the speakers? What about the Q-form door panels? Anybody here use those? How much are they? Anyhoo, I'm just thinking of different ideas...

Thanks.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2004
    Rear speakers are only important if you are going to run a 5.1 digital surround system or are concerned that your rear passengers have good sound too. Otherwise, the sound in the front seats will be a lot better without rear speakers.

If you have the same frequencies coming at you from 4 different distances then it will smear the detail. It wont suck by any means, dont get me wrong, but the best sound quality will be achieved with only a front stage.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    Wait a minute here!! Are those system prices for each CORNER?!?! Like the db6500 for $240....is that for one corner?!?! Ouch!! I can't afford that!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    No, those prices are for a PAIR of speakers. $240 will get you two coaxial speakers.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    Would that be 2 woofers and 2 tweeters? Or a woofer and a tweeter?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • unrealii
    unrealii Posts: 268
    edited June 2004
    Nah, its a pair of a set of speakers. Like the DB6500 will be 2 tweeters, 2 midranges, and 2 crossovers.
    LSIm system on order =D

Currently listening to innovation...

Prior car systems:
    Nissan Maxima - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Eclipse PA5422, Eclipse PA5532, Polk SR 6500 (Front), Polk DB6510 (Rear), Image Dymanics IDQ10, active x-over setup
    Toyota MR2 - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Blaupunkt THA 555, Polk SR6500
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    Thanks, unrealii; that makes a lot more sense. Maybe I can afford that. Would any of you recomend one of those sets over the db525 or MMC525?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    yeah, the db components are better than coaxials...q-forms are kind of expensive...check em out on sounddomain though, maybe you can find em on ebay...
    -Cody
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    What exaclty are coaxils? I've seen that term a lot but have no clue what it means.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    coaxials are the speakers that have the tweeter in the center of the mid(the 6.5') speaker
    the db525 and momoc525 are coaxials
    -Cody
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    Well, if I went with coaxials, I wouldn't be giving up too much performance, would I? 'Cause I dont' have enough room for a 6"+ speaker; then, I don't have anywhere for the tweeter, either. I mean, I'd be gaining a lot over the stock speakers, too.

Speaking of which, I just turned up my sys. a minute ago. It wasn't hard to find the limit: just about where I wanted it. :D

Thanks.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    theres a big difference b/t coaxials and components, but either way, its going to be an improvement
    you can get coaxials for the front, then when you have more money, move the front ones to the back and get components to put in the front
    -Cody
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    That's a good idea. How much would it cost to have installation folks make a place for the tweeters? And, how much would be involved with that? I really would like the nicer system, but I don't know how it'd work out. I have no clue just how much it'd cost to have mounts and that stuff fabricated.

Thanks.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    as far as the tweets go, all you need is a hole big enough for wires...so it wont be that noticeable
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited June 2004
    Speaking of coaxials, I'm thinking of selling mine. I have a brand new pair of dB650's in my car that I've only used a couple months. Once I put my amp in, I didn't even use them, I just turned them completely off. I still have the original box, manuals, and completely unused grills for them. Where would be the best place to sell them?
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    I was playing around looking at subs and I ran across this Polk sub from www.sounddomain.com. It sounds like a steal at $180!!
    Awesome Lookin' Sub.

Just curious, how many of you have ported sub enclosures and how many of you prefer sealed enclosures?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    I'm playing with picking out my dream system and right now I'm trying to find an amp for the polk sub in the post above. I've decided thus far that I really like HiFonics and definitely don't want an MTX amp because of distortion. The polk sub is 4 ohm and handles 500-100 watts, so I was figuring that since it is in a sealed enclosure, I'd want at least 500 watts; maybe even like 600 or so. However, I'm having a hard time finding something that powerful. How about this one? HiFonics BX 1000D

Also, what do y'all think about the Polk amps? They sure do appear to be expensive and have a lot of distortion.

Thanks.

Edit: Oops. Wrong Amp. Try this link. :D
    HiFonics BX1500D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by audiobliss
    I'm playing with picking out my dream system and right now I'm trying to find an amp for the polk sub in the post above. I've decided thus far that I really like HiFonics and definitely don't want an MTX amp because of distortion.[...]Also, what do y'all think about the Polk amps? They sure do appear to be expensive and have a lot of distortion.
    Among all the amps you listed (including MTX), you WILL NOT hear one bit of distortion, as long as you are playing your music within the capabilities of the amp. In the bass range, nobody can hear distortion <1%. Heck, most people can't even hear 3-4% distortion from a subwoofer. Disqualifying MTX from your search simply because of like .02% more distortion is silly. Pick your amp based on power ratings, build quality, components used, price, looks (if you care), etc. Distortion differences within a few hundredths of a percent are negligible.

[edit] Polk amps seems to be excellent from what I've heard. If you can find one for a decent price, the C300.2 would be a good match. It bridges to 600Wx1, which is just more than you need for one MM12.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    For some reason I haven't really latched onto MTX amps; I really like the looks and the specs on the HiFonics amps. Plus, everybody here seems to recommend them.

I really don't want to pay as much as a component system costs, so I'm really thinking I'm going to go with MMC525 or MMC650. I'm also thinking about getting some Q-Logic kick panels for the front. Couldn't I get those and just put a coaxial in it and put nothing where there's supposed to be a tweeter? Would there just be hole there? Then later, maybe, I could get the MM6 or something and move the coaxials to the back. However, I really do NOT like the grill on the MM6; that's a bummer 'cuase the db650/675 have really nice lookin' grills.

That leads to another question: If I get the kick panels, I've read that they come with grill covers. Could I use the Polk grills instead? Or are the grills built-in into the kick panels?

I'm really curious; just why are the component systems so much better than the coaxials? Does Polk do a better job on them? Is it inherent in the design?

Thanks for all y'all's input; it's helping me pull together what I want a lot!!!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    Another question. I've noticed that the db650 will go to 40Hz whereas the MMC650 will only go to 43Hz. Why is there a difference there? I would have thought that the obviously better material for the mid in the Polk/Momo would be stiffer and lighter and thus allow for lower frequency resoponse. Maybe it just renders tighter, clearer, and more accurate bass response.....

Thanks.

Edit: I've also noticed that there's a db675 but no MMC675; how come? I might be interested in the MMC675 for more bass response. Just wonderin' here...
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by audiobliss
    definitely don't want an MTX amp because of distortion.

Well MTX amps are rated at < 1% which means less than which means its not much. If you look at an MTX birth sheet you will see the THD in the .02%-.04% range and the Signal to Noise in the 109-111 range! Those are outstanding numbers!! Go to this thread and scroll down to the picture of the MTX birth sheet. Youll see not only are these things powerhouses but damn clean as well.

Need more proof? Go to this Carsound.com review and note the one sentence that states MTX are about the best in the business for noise specs.

Also, if you go with a coaxial you will be getting a crossover thats not as good as the MM6's and you will be getting a tweeter that is not as good as the MM6's. Components cost more for a reason, they are better. Not only are the x-over and tweeter better but the construction is usualy with better materials. You should really rethink not going with components.

• audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    I took some pics of the speaker mounts in my Jeep. The first one is in the front doors. There is, I think, 5 1/4" speaker back there all covered up in foam.

The second pic is the bottom of the dash; they put speakers there in the nicer models. So, I'm thinkin': if I go with a component system, could I just put the tweeter in that area under the dash? How would the imaging and all be with that?

Also, how do you think I could stuff a MMC650 or one of the big mids from a component system in that door? Anybody here have a Jeep?

Thanks.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    Haha!! Sorry!! I'll actually attach those pics now!!:D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    Door panel again.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]