Car Audio Receiver

audiobliss
audiobliss Posts: 12,518
edited June 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello all. I'm totally new to car audio and don't want to really 'get into it'; I just need some help real quick. I've posted several times in the home audio section and am still in to that, but now I just got my first car (I'm 16) and it needs a receiver!!!!

I have a '95 Jeep Cherokee 2-door; I love it!!! :D Anyhoo...it just has a radio, and I'm lookin' to put a CD player in it. I've looked around mainly on Crutchfield's website and have pretty much decided I like Sony's CDX-F5700. Here's Crutchfield's page on that receiver.

I guess what I'm asking is, is this a good receiver? Should I look somewhere else? Should I run from their car receivers like I do from their home audio stuff?

I'll (hopefully) be upgrading the speakers down the road, but that'll be down the road, so I'll be using the stock speakers for a while.

Also, where should I look to get it? I definitely am not planning on installing it myself (though, if y'all think I could do it and could help me with some basic instructions, I might consider it), so I'd like to buy from a store that installs them. Though, I guess everywhere does now.

Any discussion on anything I've mentioned or anything you think is important is more than welcome; I will appreciate any comments. (Even if they're just about the Jeep :D )

Thanks.
Jstas wrote: »
Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
In Use
PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
Epson 8700UB

In Storage
[Home Audio]
Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
Post edited by audiobliss on

Comments

• audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    Oops; I've already learned something on this forum...I think I should be referring to it as a 'head-unit' instead as a 'receiver'......right?

Thanks.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2004
    yes. run, and run fast.

Go with something like an alpine or a pioneer headunit, they are cost effective, and last a long time. I reccomend the Pio DEHP3600, it comes with a remote, and it user friendly (IMO).

If you burn your c.d.s in MP3 format, i would suggest the model above that, dehp4600mp i believe.

Sony makes great t.v.'s a portable audio, but when it comes to audio (either home or car) they suck, in my opinion, plus they cost more than they are worth, in most cases.

If your looking for a place to install it, try circuit city or best buy, they'll have you in and out in no time.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    SONY SUCKS
    that being said...whats your price range?
    i highly recommend you buying online and installing it yourself...
    head units are VERY easy to install
    buy your head unit and go to best buy and pick up a 'metra' adapter kit...just go and ask the best buy guy and hell know what youre talking about
    its vehicle specific...so ask for a metra head unit install kit for your 95 jeep cherokee
    all it is is an adapter kit and should have the harness with it...
    the harness has an install guide of what color wires go to which
    from there just crimp
    its VERY easy to do
    itll save you a lot of money and you can get a lot better head unit
    head unit, reciever, radio...theyre all the same
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    I hate to hear that Sony doesn't make good car audio equipment, either; expecially since 1) I really liked this HU and 2) Cruthchfield made Sony out to be one of the better makers of HU's. Bummer. I'm not questioning y'all's knowledge - it far surpasses mine - I'm just curious. Why are the Sony HU's so bad? And, even though they're bad, are they too bad for a 16 year old who's gonna put it in his first vehicle and use stock speakers?

Alright, that aside. Now, where should I look? I could stand a Panasonic (MXE CQ-C3400U) , Pioneer (DEH-P4600MP) , or Alpine (CDA-9826) . I might like Blaupunkt; I don't know. I don't like Kenwoods (don't ask me why; I just don't); Sanyo is out; Clarion I don't like. I really like the looks and all of the Alpine HU's and would definitley get one of them in a heart beat; however, they only have 12 FM presets!!!! I don't like that!!

So, where does that leave me? Where should I look now? What do most of y'all have? I might be willing to sacrifice the ability to play MP3's if that'll make it any easier. I'm lookin' to spend about $200; no more than $250. Then, a year down the road (or, maybe Christmas :D ) I'll get some speakers.

So, what's y'all's opinions on this? Please, just throw stuff out; any and every comment or suggestion is very appreciated.

One thing: I won't be buying anything online.

Thanks
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    sony is not good for anyone...doesnt matter if its a $100 head unit for the biggest beginner in the world or a $1000 head unit for the most extreme audiophile
    they have incredible breakdown rates and you can get stuff thatll last longer and have more options (that are usually better options anyway) for cheaper
    alpine, eclipse, nakamichi, denon, clarion, pioneer, panasonic, JVC, and kenwood are my fav. head units in no particular order
    i run a Pioneer Premier DEH-P940, but retailing at almost $900, its a little out of your price range
    out of the head units you have listed, i would go with the Panasonic
    the only thing you wont be able to do is satellite radio...so if you think you ever want to get that, the Panasonic is not for you, but otherwise, i think it is a great head unit
    next i would get the Pioneer, its cheaper than the Alpine AND has better options
    especially if you ever want to add amps
    any particular reason why you wont buy online even though you list stuff from crutchfield?
    -Cody
  • unrealii
    unrealii Posts: 268
    edited June 2004
    Wow, I just looked at the specs and the panasonic is the better of the three. Not to mention panasonic has a 2 year warranty. Here's my advise if you want to get a good price. Search ebay for your head unit. Make sure to only seach from items near you (you have to put in a location). Next, start looking through listings, and find ones which are from some local shops. Go to those shops and pick up the hu for cheap. I did that and found a shop ready to sell me a pioneer premier 860 for $380 when it retails for $520.

Yeah, listen to Cody, sony isn't well known for car audio. I was talking to best buy the other day when I bought some parts for my car audio install and I asked which brands they have the most problems with and he said sony.
    LSIm system on order =D

Currently listening to innovation...

Prior car systems:
    Nissan Maxima - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Eclipse PA5422, Eclipse PA5532, Polk SR 6500 (Front), Polk DB6510 (Rear), Image Dymanics IDQ10, active x-over setup
    Toyota MR2 - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Blaupunkt THA 555, Polk SR6500
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    Sounds like I'm going with the Panasonic MXE CQ-C3400U!! Since I haven't actually seen any of them yet, I can't say that for sure; I've just been looking online. And, considering Crutchfield's large inventory, that's why I've been looking on their site. As to why I'm not buying online, I'm 16. Still living with parents. They don't buy online. Thus, I can't. So, it's BB or CC.

So, now that we've got that squared away, do you think I should try and install it myself? Would the fact that my car is a '95 make it any harder? Am I going to have everything I'd need? I just don't want any complicatons. One thing that comes to mind is: I read about a HU that connnects to the dash lights so that when they dim the backlight on the unit dims. It pointed out that some cars don't have a lead for this, and you would have to rig one yourself. I'm not sure I could do something like that. If y'all think it'd just plug right in, I'm sure I could do that. Another thought: how hard is it to yank out the HU's? I just now thought about trying to get out the stock one. How would you go about that?

Anyhoo, if you have anything against the Panasonic or know of some place I should look before I get it, speak up now!! Hopefully I can go by and look at it today; I hope.

Thanks for all your help, guys!! Much appreciated!!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2004
    Me, Im partial to Alpines.

As far as installation, you could do it yourself, it would be a good learning experience.

However if you already know what youre doing then let CC install it. They usually have free installation and it comes with a lifetime guarantee so thats always nice.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    Well, thus far it still sounds like I'm going with the Panasonic. However, since neither BB nor CC sell this model, I'm going to have to go to one of two dedicated audio stores in town. I'll look around there and see what they have to say; so, I may change my mind, yet.

Is there anything ya think should know or be take notice to pay attention to when I go looking? Any tips or advice?

Keep everything coming; it's almost over. :D (I hope.)

Thanks.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    if you buy it from a shop they usually give free installation...i would jump on that in a heart beat...its free labor...whats not to like...as far as what you need to know, if you find it somewhere, and its OVER the crutchfield price, youre getting ripped...crutchfield is high as it is
    -Cody
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    Alright; there's been a change of plans. I just ate out with my 18 year old friend who has on '01 Civic Si. He just had a 400-watt amp and a 12" Alpine sub put in. That means I've gotta have nicer stuff!!! :D I know; it's like keepin' up with the Jones's; but, I can do that, can't I??

What about the Panasonic MXE CQ-C5210U? I know I'm givin' up the ability to play MP3/WMA files, but I've been thinkin': I don't think I'd use that much; if I change my mind, I might think about the CQ-C5410U. That's more than I wanna spend, but sometimes ya do whatcha gotta do. :D Is there something else right around here that would be better for me? How about Kenwood? would you recommend something of theirs over this Panasonic? I might could manage to have something by them.

Well, sorry my plan keeps changin' so much; maybe I'll finally make up my mind. :D

Thanks again for the info and, please; keep it comin'!!!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    itd help you out A LOT if youd shop online....
    my 2 cents
    -Cody
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    Cody, I totally agree; I thought that when I wanted to build a computer. However, if this was something I had to have and had to have a nice, expensive one, parents might consider letting me order online. However, they probably wouldn't let me pay what they're asking online, and don't view this as important (and, I really don't; just cool). So, there's really no way. I may see if I can pull some strings, though, if when I go to one of the audio stores here I see that the prices are way high.

Just in case....where would you recommend buying stuff online? It would definitley have to be a reputable joint; like Crutchfield.

BTW, I have a friend who knows the managers wife at Now! Audio Video; that might help. Though, probably not; we'll see what I can do. Also, what does a 400 amp and 12" alpine sub cost? I mean, just a guess, 'cause I know no specs. I just know that my friend, using his connections, only paid $190. I was wonderin' if that's a good discount.

Thanks.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Dude, youre putting way to much effort into the head unit search. As long as you buy from Alpine, Pioneer, Eclipse or Kenwood you will be getting a fine head unit. I say pick one on (a) which looks the best (b) which is most in your price range (c) has the most features and the features you want. Performance wise they will all be about the same.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    explain to your parents that you are making wise decisions by ordering online because you could literally be saving about $100
    as far reputable places
    theres a lot
    i ordered my head unit from www.electronicscity.com
    its a pioneer premier
    crutchfield has really high prices, try www.sounddomain.com/shop
    i highly recommend buying online
    the ONLY thing in my truck that i havent bought online is the sub box and the grills
    just stay away from www.thezeb.com
    if youre able to shop online, tell us youre new budget and i guarantee you will be happier with what you get
    -Cody
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    I'm glad somebody said that!!!! I'm gettin' tired of lookin'. I think I'm just gonna go to a store and see what they have/say. Still, what are some reputable sites I could buy from just in case I might can order online.

Everything is much appreciated!!!

Just think: next is amp and speakers!! Then it's a sub!!!!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    Thanks for the sites, Cody; I'm gonna check some of them out tonight and get a feel for the price differences. Now, what do you mean my 'new price range'? Won't I still have the same amount of money to spend?

Anyhoo; is that a pretty good deal my friend got on the amp and sub? J/c. And, sorry I dont' know anything else about it.

Thanks.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by audiobliss
    Alright; there's been a change of plans. I just ate out with my 18 year old friend who has on '01 Civic Si. He just had a 400-watt amp and a 12" Alpine sub put in. That means I've gotta have nicer stuff!!! :D I know; it's like keepin' up with the Jones's; but, I can do that, can't I??

What about the Panasonic MXE CQ-C5210U? I know I'm givin' up the ability to play MP3/WMA files, but I've been thinkin': I don't think I'd use that much; if I change my mind, I might think about the CQ-C5410U. That's more than I wanna spend, but sometimes ya do whatcha gotta do.
    by this, i was assuming you changed your price range
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    www.CarMedia1.com
    www.CarStereoTime.com
    www.acaraudio.com
    www.IkeSound.com
    www.OnlineCarStereo.com
    theyre not authorized dealers, but ive ordered from all of them before
    i do believe they warrant everything they sell for a year, so unless the warranty is more than a year, youre not losing out on anything
    www.speedsound.com is another and ARE authorized of everything they sell
    -Cody
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    Yeah, I guess I sorta did imply this, huh? Oops. Well, I'd say that $250 is still my upper limit; just hope I can order online. Now, if I order online, won't I have to install it myself?? I reckon I can do it....

A Pioneer P760 for $220?? That sounds good to me!!! :D:D

Thanks you guys!!!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    And a Panasonic MXE CQ-C5410U for $170!!! (From speedsound.com) That's great!! Man, if I can order online, that's what I'm doing!!!!

Thanks a lot!!! Keep your fingers crossed!!!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by audiobliss

A Pioneer P760 for $220?? That sounds good to me!!! :D:D
    see what i mean?
    :D
    thats an awesome HU btw
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    When you order online I highly recommend buying from authorized dealers. Its gonna cost a little more but you will know that youre getting a product new from the manufactuer.

Speed Sound.com claims to be authorized dealers of everything they sell but Focal doesnt authorize anybody to sale their stuff online. Not only that but they have $1200 speakers for $550. That tells me that they are probably open box, returned, repaired, knock offs or something else. I could be wrong but Im just very leary of claims like that.

As far as Im concerned I will only order from Sound Domain or Crutchfield, although Crutchfield is no cheaper than a retail store.

• unrealii
    unrealii Posts: 268
    edited June 2004
    You can go on ebay, look through some auctions. If the listing looks professional, then look at the seller's other items and feedback. If you thikn the seller is a shop, ask the question if they are an authorized dealer. Its a win-win :)
    LSIm system on order =D

Currently listening to innovation...

Prior car systems:
    Nissan Maxima - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Eclipse PA5422, Eclipse PA5532, Polk SR 6500 (Front), Polk DB6510 (Rear), Image Dymanics IDQ10, active x-over setup
    Toyota MR2 - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Blaupunkt THA 555, Polk SR6500
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Man it is awful tempting though. Ive found some damn good prices on equpiment I always thought was out of my league.

Hmmm..a Brax 2000.2 ($2000 list) for $150.....hell even if it was gutted and had Audiovox internals it would be worth it just to be able to tell people I have a Brax amp!! :p

• audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    Could y'all tell me about amps? I reckon this HU is really only the beginning. Why do I want an amp? Just cleaner power? More on tap for those loud spots? Why? And, how would I set that up? I mean, I've seen quite a few mono amps; is that supposed to be for a sub? And, I've seen a lot of 2 channel amps; are ya supposed to get two of those to power your four speakers? Or, would ya be better off buying a four channel amp to do all four of your speakers? :confused:

I just know less about this than I did about head units, so; I need some advice. :D

Thanks.

Edit: And, what about some good brands? I'm not interested in the best, just something adequate but not lousy. I'm not sure how much amps cost, so I can't really tell ya my budget, but I'd say about $300; definitley no more.

Thanks.

Edit :D :And, what are some wattage ratings I should look for in an amp? I guess that depends on the speakers, though. :(
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    mono amps are for subs, usually for 2 or more though
    if you just have a single amp a 2 channel would do great...and theyre cheaper
    as far as brands go, i always recommend HiFonics, you can find them on www.acaraudio.com
    theyre not authorized dealers, but www.sounddomain.com is, and they will match acaraudio's price:)
    and yes, it all depends on speakers...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    You will want an amp because a head unit is a poor power source. Disregard the 50x4, 75x4, 100x4 claims they all make. A head unit is too small to make any real power so regardless their claims, all head units put out between 10-20 rms per channel which is not much at all. And since its so little, the first time you turn it up the least amount, it will run out of power quick and thats when distortion sets in. An amp will not only have oodles more power but it will be much much cleaner power. If youre wanting anything more than casual listening you almost have to have an amp.

Mono amps are for subs because they are more effeceint and develop more power with less draw and heat. However they tend to put out 3 times more distortion than a stereo amp but with frequencies of 200 Hz and below you cant really hear it anyway.

You can either use a 2 channel amp or a 4 channel amp for 4 speakers. I would recommend a 4 channel. It allows you a lot more flexibility in tuning the front and rear seperate from each other.

Wattage depends on speakers. Some speakers require more power than others to make them work properly. Depending on construction, materials and such some speakers may work best with 75 watts and some with 150 like the MM6. So when picking your speakers you should factor in how loud you will want to be listening to them. For speaker choices it depends on what youre willing to spend. Here is what I recommend:
    $300 - Polk MM6
    $360 - Diamond Audio M661s
    $430 - Focal Polyglass
    All of these are excellent speakers but youll get a little better performance the more you spend.

If you get the MM6 go with 125-150 watts per channel.
    Diamond Audio M661s go with 100-150
    Focal will work best with 65-125

As far as brands it again depends on how much youre willing to spend. My favorite amps regardless of price are JL Audio and Orion. For budget considerations Ill take MTX. MTX are built like a tank and are powerhouses with warehouses of good clean output. They have the Thunder series which is in the $250-400 range and the MXA series which is around $200-300. The Thunder series is my pick.

• audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    Ok. Sounds like I'll be looking at MTX amps, then. Maybe HiFonics, though; they look pretty cool. I just got back from CC and saw the Panasonic MXE CQ-C5110U; it feels a lot cheaper than it looks :( All well. I guess I'd have to spend too much to get something I'd really want. The guy there said that I should look at Panasonic and Sony for visual stuff, and Kenwood & Alpine for more control over my music.

As for speakers, he said I should go with Infinity or Polk. Infinity for clean sound and Polk for more bass. I'm thinking I'll probably go with Infinity because I think, please correct me if I'm wrong, that they're cheaper than Polk speakers. I would want to spend absolutely no more than about $200-$300 for all 4 speakers. Man, that doesn't even include amp, either!!! Ouch. Maybe I should just get a HU and call it quits. Though, if I get a killer system, I could just yank it out when I sell the car and put it in my next one: a Porsche. :D

Anyhoo, I'll start lookin' at amps and speakers. Does anyone think there are good Polk/Infinity speakers in my price range? Preferences of one over the other?

Thanks.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    Hey guys; I've just found these on Crutchfield's website. Polk/Momo MMC525

What do you guys think about these? The only thing I can't figure out is how in the world they'd fit in my front doors. The current speakers a 5 1/2 I believe and have about a 5x3 'vent' in the panel in front of 'em; I guess I'd have to rig something there to make this work. Also, if I got these and had them visible, they'd be pretty vulnerable to, say, Cherry Coke spills, right? Would that kill 'em? Guess that's a pretty stupid question.

Thanks.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]