Do Coax design Analog Interconnects work better?

Options
2»

Comments

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,277
    Options
    The resistance of a coax cable has nothing to do with the 75ohm characteristic impedance. If you measure the resistance of a coax cable it will not measure 75ohm, these are two separate things.
  • POLKMenesteo
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    Hello everyone,
    I was reading and listening to some of the people in the industry and I was informed that Coax design analog cables are the best overall design for sending analog singls. The resistance I always thought was a bit high as I thought it was supposed to be around 45-50 ohms vs true 75 ohms which is what coax designed cables are. I also was told that Twisted pair is not ideal which just about every single pair of analog cables are made out of.
    So anyone explore these designs?

Honestly , Blue Jeans cables makes Coax designed cables for analog. I don't see many others , I think Tributaries also used a Coax design, I'll have to cut one of mine open to see if that is true or not. It's been many years since I fooled around with Tributaries cables.

Hola Mantis,

Yo también he visto decenas de vídeos y me quedo con los consejos de Tharbamar, que le tengo como libro de cabecera.

Te copio un enlace en el que explica la importancia del tipo de cable y conector que se utiliza:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FoWfFxhVJQ

También tiene vídeos explicativos de cables para los altavoces y cables de alimentación.

Espero te sean útiles.

Saludos,
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    The resistance of a coax cable has nothing to do with the 75ohm characteristic impedance. If you measure the resistance of a coax cable it will not measure 75ohm, these are two separate things.
    I was told that twisted pair Nalco cables measure around 45-50 ohms and digital coax or any properly built coax design cable will measure 75 ohms , maybe not with a RCA connector but with a F or BNC connector it supposed to by spec.
    I'm no exactly sure what you are talking about.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,277
    Options
    The characteristic impedance is not a measurement of the total resistance of the cable that is a separate measurement.
  • mantis
    Options
    I started my listening and measuring tests and I'm a bit surprised in the coax cables ability to perform. They don't lose output in frequency sweeps or testing 1 frequency at time. I have test disc that can play frequencies 1 or grouped at a time and compared to twisted pair designs, the DB output is the same.
    I used a DB meter if anyone was wondering. I setup my test in my basement which has concrete wall and floor and the floor is covered in Gym locking rubber tiles. So hardly no reflections to influence my sub par testing methods.

I wonder where and how some of these claims come up ? If I was a cable designer and the coax design was the wiser choice, I would use it. Using high quality materials etc is a bonus on top of a good design. The ability to shield out noise is IMO the first and foremost quality of a cable I would look at. If it can't protect itself from interference, I don't care how well the cable is made , terminated or purity of it, noise will destroy the signal.

With some of the twisted pair cables I tried, they are also shielded. One cable I used to test has double foil around the conductors and shields out noise. Then solid core conductors inside 3 of them simular to how Kimber Kable builds their interconnects like the HERO or PPJ. With Kimber , they don't use a additional shielding layer like foil, they rely on the cancellation of the twisted pair as shielding. They do that with their speaker cables as well. Audioquest feels the need to use foil I guess for added protection.

I find it interesting looking at cables from a design standpoint.

As usual , I did do some listening tests and also found hardly no real differences. It seemed the Twisted pair design vs the coax design cables really didn't make much difference in how they sounded. Maybe I'm just getting old and can't hear the small subtle differences anymore as for the most part I thought everything basically sounded exactly the same. Maybe some of you younger guys could try these kinds of tests and see or better put hear if you can hear differences between the 2 designs. With the exception of one brand which is know for scooping the mids, did have a noticeable Tonal difference, also twisted pair design.

Just a final note, I used all high quality cables from many different companies. The Coax design cables , some I built from Liberity with pure copper shielding and center conductor, and some of them where prebuilt like the Carbon Audioquest Digital coax cables.

Twisted pair designs I also used some I built, and most where prebuilt.
    Dan
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,602
    Options
    Did you try any from Tributaries?
  • mantis
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Did you try any from Tributaries?
    Yes, I have several and they are all perfectly good quality good sounding cables.

Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    I wanted to also say how small of a difference analog interconnects make. When you sit down and consider the price vs benefits of changing to higher end cables, you don't get that much in return for the price of some of these extremely high end cables. Now I'm judging with my own wallet and for me, I'd rather buy new speakers , amps or source before I spent thousands on higher end cables. Getting good quality well built cables in your system will always be a good idea, just how far do you need or want to do is the question you gotta ask yourself.

Learning about different designs is fun, I enjoyed this small fun little thing and I'm still messing around with it a bit as I have so many cables to play with. I get listening and test fatigue after awhile and I back away so I don't skew my own results. But if you ever want to try something interesting, try using a frequency generator and a SPL meter and see how different frequencies play in your room with just a cable change. This kinda tells you a lot of these companies are restricting frequencies to enhance others.
    I much prefer cables that are neutral than have any on purpose sonic signature. The Coax design cables seem to be pretty flat up and down, do the test yourself and you will see this vs when you use twisted pair sonic signature cables by other brands.

No wrong or right here, just preference. But if you ask my opinion, flat response to me is the best or at least as close to flat as possible.
    Dan