How Long My AudioQuest DBS Batteries Lasted

Introduction

AudioQuest Sky Gen.2 XLR interconnects and AudioQuest Everest speaker cables are used in my main audio system. These cables have a patented (USPTO #7126055) dielectric bias system (DBS) which places a 72 volt electrostatic field across the conductor insulation. The anode end of the battery pack is attached to a wire that runs down the center of the cable's insulation jacket. The cathode end of the battery pack is attached to a conductive shielding sleeve on the outside of the conductor insulation. The insulation material itself completes the charging circuit.

AudioQuest claims the following:

"DBS creates a strong and stable electrostatic field, which saturates and polarizes (organizes) the molecules of the insulation. This minimizes both energy storage in the dielectric, and the multiple nonlinear time-delays. Sound appears from a surprisingly blacker background with unexpected detail and dynamic contrast. Because DBS creates a field, but does no “work,” the DBS pack’s batteries will last for years. A test button and LED allow for the occasional battery check." [Underlined and bolded emphasis mine.]

gr9vmwbno1z9.jpg
Figure 1. One pair of my AudioQuest Sky Gen.2 XLR interconnects.

Many years ago, I did evaluations of DBS cables and determined that they did sound more open and detailed with the battery packs installed. More recently, I sat down for a listening session and found an imbalance in the sound stage with regard to high frequencies on the left. Percussion instruments on the left did not have the same clarity and detail as on the right. My first thought was that I had inadvertently moved the balance controls on the preamp. When this wasn't the case, I then ran through several musical selections. The problem persisted. I then checked the battery status of the cables. The LED indicator on all cables showed good...except for one: the left cable on the DAC. This cable had been in service, with the same batteries, since January 2008.

Battery Measurements

cdfihfdnxqk9.jpg
Figure 2. All DBS cables still had the original Chinese-made Gold Peak Ultra 12 volt 23AE batteries. This battery has been discontinued. Gold Peak now offers the Super 23A battery. There are other brands of 23A batteries to choose from. I stuck with Gold Peak. Semantically speaking, I was put off by replacing "Ultra" batteries with "Super" batteries. I associate "ultra" with "ultimate" and "super" with "much better than average", as in "super size".

DAC Interconnect Battery Measurements

The right cable's batteries each measured over 12 volts. The left cable had three batteries that measured over 12 volts. Three were below 12 volts: 0.08 volts, 11.50 volts, 9.80 volts.

This is a demo pair of Sky Gen.2 XLR cables purchased in January of 2008.

Preamp Out Interconnect Battery Measurements

All batteries in the left and right cables measured over 12 volts.

This is a used pair of Sky Gen.2 XLR cables purchased in January of 2008. The cables were 3 months old at time of purchase.

Preamp Spare Input Interconnect Battery Measurements

All batteries in the left cable measured over 12 volts. Five batteries in the left cable measured over 12 volts. One battery measured 10.50 volts. The left cable pack LED light still indicated good.

This is a used pair of Sky Gen.2 XLR cables purchased in January of 2008. The cables were 3 months old at time of purchase.

Spare Interconnect Battery Measurements

The LED indicator of neither battery pack lit up. The left batteries measured 10.50, 8.60, 10.90, 10.90, 11.78, and 11.50 volts respectively (64.18 volts total). The right batteries measured 11.50, 10.80, 11.35, 10.94, 8.60, and 11.60 volts respectively (64.79 volts total).

This is a Sky Gen.3 cable purchased used in December of 2014. The Cable was 1 year old at time of purchase. I had planned to replace all of the Sky Gen.2 cables with Sky Gen.3, but decided to allocate that money toward a better DAC. Other than the initial evaluation against the Gen.2 Skys, this cable has been in storage since early 2015.

Everest Speaker Cable Battery Measurements

All batteries in the left and right cables measured over 12 volts. These cables were purchased from a seller who bought them new, used them for one month, then found something else that suited him better.

Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind

I remembered the Sky Gen.3 XLR interconnect, and its twelve batteries, that were in storage. I completely forgot about the six batteries in the DBS battery pack of my AudioQuest LeoPard tonearm cable. I didn't think about that cable until I went into the closet where my turntable sits in dark, abandoned retirement. The LeoPard cable was purchased new in October of 2007. The six batteries in its DBS pack all measured 12.10, 12.14, 12.16, 12.20, 12.19, and 12.16 volts respectively.

i84j1f1y8yt2.jpg
Figure 3. That sheet hides something beautiful...which I was able to quit nearly six years ago.

fifyfilxhyph.jpg
Figure 4. Awww beautiful...my apologies. I clean forgot about you. Forgot all about your tonearm cable with the six batteries.

I had already ordered sixty batteries (three groups of twenty) for the five DBS cables mentioned in the previous section. I ordered six more batteries for the tonearm cable.

r8tfdgb88e8x.jpg
Figure 5. The sixty batteries ordered for the interconnects and speaker cables came in twelve manufacturer's blister packs of five each, with a "best by" date of July 2025 on the back. The six batteries for the tonearm cable came loose in a plastic bag. Most of the new 23A batteries in the collection of sixty measured 12.50 volts or above. All of the 23A batteries in the bag of six measured just a little over 12 volts: 12.06, 12.09, 12.03, 12.03, 12.02, and 12.03 volts respectively. There was no packaging that indicated shelf life. Those six batteries were returned.

78b892curd84.jpg
Figure 6. Twelve of the collection of sixty tested below 12 volts, with the range being 5.80 volts to 11.77 volts. Those twelve batteries were returned. A replacement group of 20 batteries was sent. All twenty batteries in the replacement group tested 12.50 volts or above.

With the forty-eight batteries from the collection of sixty, plus the twenty batteries from the replacement group, I had more than the sixty-six required new 23A batteries.

Summary

Batteries in the Everest speaker cables, Sky Gen.2 interconnects, and LeoPard tonearm cable lasted over 14 years. Batteries in the Sky Gen.3 interconnects lasted over 9 years.
All batteries were Gold Peak Ultra type 23AE. Anecdotal information from other DBS cable owners and dealers indicates that 10 years is a reasonable expectation of battery life.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited December 2022
    Nice you should be good for at least a decade 🙂
    For kicks I started measuring batteries from remotes, there was always only one that was bad. I'd mark the new battery and just change the one bad. I found that even though the others tested good that within days one of the others would go bad and soon after another would. After several times of thinking I was saving money by only changing the bad battery I soon found I was just prolonging the inevitable and stopped. Just change them all. The others that tested good will go bad quickly anyway.

Ray,
    What are the DBS batteries made of? Are they an alkaline or Lithium type? I was always curious as to their type
  • Alkaline (see figures 2 & 5)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    Thanks for the post, excellent as always.
    I want to take a moment and say, I avoid the DBS system for some good reasons.
    1- I don't think it makes any difference at all. Once the system is on for a few minutes or less, the sound is exactly the same. I have had many DBS cables over the years and I got rid of all of them.
    2- Changing the batteries. I don't have time to change batteries, dig around behind my rack and test the DBS systems. Sure they can last a very long time or they can go bad in a few months or even weeks. I have seen dead batteries in a few weeks.
    3- I find they weight down on the cables and I hate the way they look. I think Audioquest may have thought this was a good idea, and I'm sure they stand fully behind them as they sell most of their if not all their higher end offerings with the DBS system.

On a better note, off topic but Lutron battery operated shades work best with Rayovac batteries. Energizer and Duracell you would think would be the superior battery of choice but in this case , the Rayovac batteries last way longer ad perform much better. Makes no sense to me but I learned to stop putting labels first.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    mantis wrote: »

1- I don't think it makes any difference at all. Once the system is on for a few minutes or less, the sound is exactly the same. I have had many DBS cables over the years and I got rid of all of them.

Fair enough. We all have our own opinions. I had the opposite observation(s) that you experienced. I was quite impressed with the AQ DBS with a 72v BP on a speaker cable. I forget which one I had at the time but it was a rather nice SC. Quiet and neutral would be a very good way to describe them.
    2- Changing the batteries. I don't have time to change batteries, dig around behind my rack and test the DBS systems. Sure they can last a very long time or they can go bad in a few months or even weeks. I have seen dead batteries in a few weeks.

Once again, your experience does not mimic mine. Mine is like that of DK's. I did put in new batteries when I got mine. While they didn't need new batteries (measured fine), I put some in anyways just for safe measure. I would check them about every two years or so and I don't recall ever swapping the ones I installed out for new ones the entire time I had them (probably about 8 years, give or take a year or so in either direction). When I sold them, they still measured what they were supposed to. I was honestly quite surprised at this but was not surprised at all by DK's findings.
    3- I find they weight down on the cables and I hate the way they look. I think Audioquest may have thought this was a good idea, and I'm sure they stand fully behind them as they sell most of their if not all their higher end offerings with the DBS system.

I didn't have any problems with the extra weight and they didn't have any negative effects on pulling the connections out or straining them....BUT....I never did try an BP on an IC. Only had it on the SC I used. I can totally see them getting in the way and adding stress to the connections behind a rack. Since I did not use any of their IC's, I guess I never thought about that aspect before. That's a good point.

Especially if it is already a pain the ol' keister to do the human pretzel thing or in tight rack situations where swapping things/testing things isn't as easy as simply rolling the rack out and exposing all of the IC's/connections.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760

Fortunately, AQ had the foresight to make the DBS battery packs easily removable. For those that don't know, they are held in place with velcro straps. The DBS conductors attach to the battery packs with a small removable plug.

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Same with my Thunderbird IC's and speaker cables. I have Audioquest cable risers to also help them from sagging.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.