L800 owners need some specifics....

13»

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,157
    I went back to the website order page. Only one option no L or R...whew

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,274
    Scott was messing with you Brock 🤣
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,518
    Only speakers with designated left and right is the l800
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,467
    Just don't ask for the L600 version with the L900 modules already installed. The entire system will melt down.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,957
    edited December 2022
    Congrats, look forward to your review.

I posted in a separate thread, thinking about getting a pair of L900. Are they worth it?
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    Lol, just kiddin' with ya, man :D
    I disabled signatures.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 10,007
    How do you designate L and R for the L800 on the order form? I don’t see an option for that. Thanks
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,352

Milito wrote: »
    Congrats, look forward to your review.

I posted in a separate thread, thinking about getting a pair of L900. Are they worth it?

In my setup, they are very useful. For the price the are now, they are indispensable.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,341
    dromunds wrote: »
    How do you designate L and R for the L800 on the order form? I don’t see an option for that. Thanks

See the black and brown dots under the pic of the speaker? The two left dots are for the left speaker and the two right dots for the right.

Whomever at Polk came up with that dot idea should be fired for being a dumba$$!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 10,007
    Thank you, Jesse! I got it, but, yes, those dots are certainly not self-apparent.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,798
    Mine are 6" off the front wall and seem to be fine. They are also 6' apart and 3.5' from the the side walls.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • msg
    That sounds like perfect text-manual-book-thing placement.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    @heiney9 - lol, Brock, sorry man, was just having a little fun earlier and then got tied up at work and couldn't really "turn off" that joke.

On a scale of 1 to 5, how freakin' were you? that was a lotta posts lol
    The guys all jumped in with reassurances. (bastidges. lol, coulda let it run a little longer lol)

Excited for you for your new acquisition. Hope you enjoy them immensely!

I've just recently found myself reversing on earlier position with the R200s where I was only so-so on them. But given that you already like those a lot, you're likely to enjoy those L600s that much more.
    I disabled signatures.
  • heiney9
    I really wasn't too freaked. But I did look at the products page to be sure. After break-in I am sure I will initially love the L600's. They will be new to my ears and I'm sure sound great. If they still sound good over time as I've had a chance to compare many, many favorite songs vs. my SDA memory of the songs, then we'll be good.

If they are a fuller scale and a tad more articulate than the R200's then I will love them. I'm very curious about the bass response. I have very little wiggle room for location so I am hoping the bass isn't overpowering the rest of the signal.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • msg
    edited December 2022
    Curious, have you tried the R200s in this same space by chance? I thought the R200s were bass-sloppy and overwhelming near a back wall, but recently discovered how much better they sound out and away with some space behind them. The L600s, as you know, have the bottom-exiting port, and it's the Power Port, not the X-port on the R200s.

Due to this difference I think they'll be cleaner and easier to integrate with limited space and wall proximity compared to the R200s.

Just a thought for potential loose consideration/obsession to keep you up through the nights until you get them set up. Which you could be doing right now. Ahem.
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,341
    Toe out can be interesting.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    edited December 2022
    You didn't read my other post in the sale thread. They came today, not expecting them until after X-mas. Had them delivered to work and they are there and will be there until after this nasty storm tomorrow and Friday passes.

I hope to be rocking them by New Years Weekend. I have to find a suitable space to store my SDA's...I'm still contemplating.

I did not expect to get these as soon as I did. Not complaining, just a bit behind and can't make the new speakers a priority at the moment. Had a few set backs this week and an ailing parent and trying to console the other parent, throw work in the mix and an mother in law that is moving here into assisted living who recently had to have her leg amputated just above the knee. And is kicking and screaming about not having her independence any longer. She lived 2 hours away and every other Saturday we've been slowly moving her up here. I've had a lot on my plate and will continue.

Monday night a breaker popped and we lost power to the main part of the house. Luckily I was able to get an electrician here yesterday, 4.5 hours trouble shooting. He found a shorted wire that runs between (2) 3- way switches upstairs. 1945 built house still has some old BX cable, one of the wires had a break luckily near the end, in the junction box. That was lucky the break was very near the end and not in the middle somewhere. I was going to be very costly to run a new cable considering the location. Still cost over $600. Every time I buy myself something nice it seems something breaks that cost a lot.

Girlfriends turbo went out on her 2017 Ford Escape w/50K miles in late September. $3800 dealer repair. Just out of warranty by 4-5 months. 8 fricking weeks to get a new turbo. Ford did cover 1/2 and then I paid 1/2 of that. We aren't married but have been together almost 10 years (hence the mother in law comment, she might as well be).

Oh yeah, don't forget about the almost $4K out of pocket for a dental implant of one of my front teeth. Insurance paid for $1500 on top of my OOP. If I add up all the unexpected expenses this year I could have an entire new Pass rig and L800's.

Seriously this was the year for the Pass XA-25 and new Polk Legends until I got hit with all the unexpected expenses. Glad I was able to fulfill one of them. 2023 hopefully sees a new Pass Amp.

H9

P.s. Sorry for the long rambling post..nice to get it off my chest

P.s. I did spend $1500 or so revamping the office rig, so that was a good thing.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,931
    All the best to your parents and in-laws. That alone is enough to distract you and drain your energy, not to mention the other stuff you had to recently deal with.
  • heiney9
    edited December 2022
    Thanks, not to get too off track (but it is my thread...lol)

Mom was diagnosed with frontal lob dementia about 3 1/2 years ago, but she's had it longer. We had to put her in memory care facility December 1st. My parents have been together for 61 years and my Dad is obviously very distraught she's no longer at home.

He's been her sole care taker (with occasional in home help) since the beginning and at 80 years old just couldn't physically take care of her any longer. She's been in a wheel chair almost 2 years as the motor skills start to deteriorate with this disease. They call it the "long goodbye" and it has been heartbreaking.

She still recognizes us, but even that is going to start to slip soon. They are on COVID lock down because of an outbreak and my Dad just tested positive for the 1st time. He is improving each day, but is unable to see my Mom. It's killing him....I feel so bad for him. It's killing all of us.

Anyway, let's move on to happier things.

New speakers...............I won't be posting my impressions or changing my signature until after the New Year.

H9
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,931
    Keeping your parents in my thoughts and hoping for the best outcome realistically possible.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,230
    edited December 2022
    F1nut wrote: »
    The more Brock changes, the more he stays the same.
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Yes, I always try to set up the rig so I'm exactly between the 2 speakers. There are recordings out there that are recorded a bit different. Many of them are older 60's and 70's stuff. Early Zep and Hendrix are two examples that come to mind that don't always have the singer in the middle or drums, etc.

By and large, yes the singer is dead center.

H9
    Yes, I always try to set up the rig so I'm exactly between the 2 speakers. There are recordings out there that are recorded a bit different. Many of them are older 60's and 70's stuff. Early Zep and Hendrix are two examples that come to mind that don't always have the singer in the middle or drums, etc.

By and large, yes the singer is dead center.

H9

https://youtu.be/dRnKvXqti6M
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,884
    F1nut wrote: »
    Toe out can be interesting.

Flaskbacks of Mark Suskin, preaching about toe out in Ted's living room, tilted worse than Cooter Brown come to mind when I read that....

So sorry to hear about what's going on family wise H9. That's never easy.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,957
    Wishing you the best as you deal with your parent's issues.

My wife and I dealt with some of the same issues with her mother.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,067

It wasn't until then did I realize how loud and full a sound emanates from the SDA's. Literally louder than I could stand, but w/o any listener fatigue. I just sat there for 5-7 minutes after the listening session and was thinking WOW letting my ears adjust.

As much as I really enjoy the 2.3TL and 1.2TLs, I still regret selling my fully modded set of 1Cs. There was something really magical about them.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, Carver Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400x5, ADCOM GFA 7807, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • heiney9
    dpowell wrote: »

It wasn't until then did I realize how loud and full a sound emanates from the SDA's. Literally louder than I could stand, but w/o any listener fatigue. I just sat there for 5-7 minutes after the listening session and was thinking WOW letting my ears adjust.

As much as I really enjoy the 2.3TL and 1.2TLs, I still regret selling my fully modded set of 1Cs. There was something really magical about them.

I'm glad you feel the same way I do. The 1C seems to be the red headed step child for many around here. I've been told they are soft and too laid back. I never thought of them as soft and laid back, especially after being refreshed and with RD0's.

I'll be hanging onto them even though I just purchased L600's

H9
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,467
    I owned most of the SDA models over the years and was surprised that they all sounded different from one another including how pronounced the SDA function was. My favorite was actually the SDA 2A model. I liked the simplicity.
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,067
    dpowell wrote: »

I'm glad you feel the same way I do. The 1C seems to be the red headed step child for many around here. I've been told they are soft and too laid back. I never thought of them as soft and laid back, especially after being refreshed and with RD0's.

I'll be hanging onto them even though I just purchased L600's

H9

I bought a pair of 1C studios a few years back for $100 on CL. Hanging on to them and will likely some day mod them when there is some extra cash not needed for higher priorities.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, Carver Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400x5, ADCOM GFA 7807, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,163
    I feel that way about the CRS+ and 2B’s