L800 owners need some specifics....

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    edited December 2022
    H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s
    And for his space, he might even need them to be closer to the wall for bass if not using a sub.
    H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s H9 buy L800s

I disabled signatures.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,499
    LOL...you had me thinking my screen was ghosting....love the subliminal nudge!

0734x4uvkoju.png
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,352
    They work well close to the back wall too. Literally everyone that has heard my rig comes away with the Joker's grin after some time in the sweet spot. I do not run a sub any longer for two channel listening as it defeats the purpose.

Brock... go for the L800. As I said, you can disconnect the SDA cable if you like. They DO NOT NEED to be three feet or mor into the room as others have indicated. If you don't get them, you will always wonder, and if you do you will have zero regrets. On that you have my word!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    For some reason I am feeling like I need to buy another pair of L800’s…. Must buy another pair must buy another pair must buy another pair

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,957
    Get the L800's, otherwise based on your comments you'll always wonder. Keep them like others have said and play them a lot even when you leave the house so they get broken in before the 60 days are up. If you then don't like them or they don't fit your space send them back and get the L600's next time they have a sale like this.

It's not like you will be without speakers to listen to if you send them back and have to wait to get the L600's.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,518
    I agree John, you need another pair! I support this notion!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,230
    VR3 wrote: »

Shut up Tom…I mean Trey

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,115
    edited December 2022
    VR3 wrote: »

Of course, when you reside in a McMansion . . . I kid, I kid

Seriously, I just thru a tape on the rooms rough Demensions of the listing space . . . 18 feet and change on the long wall where the electronic reside and Only 11 feet deep with my back up against the wall.
    1953 ceilings ... 8 feet high.
    There are 3 archways to other spaces. There are no perpendicular walls abutting the speakers .. 5 feet clearance

My SRS 2s and 2B Studios were perfect in this space . . . The 2.3TLs were waaaay overload the room

I’m looking at L600 but I miss SDA ...would love the L800

FWIW I DO NOT LISTEN AT LOUD LEVELS (there are exceptions)

Dream speaker might be SDA availability in lower priced models

last minute thoughts before the sale vanishes at 12pm PST?
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,157
    I believe I have until tomorrow at noon PST

Sale kicks off now on 12/16 at Noon PST and will end on Monday 12/19 at Noon PST.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nooshinjohn
    @GlennDog… I ran 1.2TL’s in a room not much bigger. They were too much for my space as well. The L800 would be similar to the SDA-1c in terms of filling the room, and would be a great fit.

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,467
    I suppose they could also run out of stock on the models being offered on this deal before noon tomorrow. The sale is only for in stock items.

:#
  • GlennDog
    edited December 2022
    Yeah, black is gonna blend well with everything .!.. I was toying with walnut
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • msg
    GlennDog wrote: »
    My SRS 2s and 2B Studios were perfect in this space . . . The 2.3TLs were waaaay overload the room

I’m looking at L600 but I miss SDA ...would love the L800

last minute thoughts before the sale vanishes at 12pm PST?
    Don't forget, vintage SDAs were supposed to be close to the back wall, right? L800s can come out into the room a bit. This is how you tune the bass with L800s.

I disabled signatures.
  • GlennDog
    The Legend 800s are so much Wider than the Salk HT2s ....that size is a consideration

Twice as wide!
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • nooshinjohn

I’m looking at L600 but I miss SDA ...would
    GlennDog wrote: »
    The Legend 800s are so much Wider than the Salk HT2s ....that size is a consideration

Twice as wide!

Haven’t you wanted to get a double-wide soon anyway….

• msg
    edited December 2022
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I suppose they could also run out of stock on the models being offered on this deal before noon tomorrow. The sale is only for in stock items.
    :#
    lol - this is true!
    and chicks dig big speakers!
    noweaqwf7952.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,163
    edited December 2022
    I thought you didn’t need to worry about common ground amps with the L800’s. You could run mono blocks as well,,
  • msg
    Guys, don't forget, possible addt'l 10% if you can stack.
    Just hit the main page and make sure you're set to not block ad and allow tracking, then this pops up after a little browsing.
    fdvgt6idbgwl.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,274
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I thought you didn’t need to worry about common ground amps with the L800’s. You could run mono blocks as well,,

Balanced differential IIRC is the problem child.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,499
    edited December 2022
    Ha, Ivan....I was searching for your previous post and you beat me to this. Was addressed month's ago when H9 asked in another thread...
    heiney9 wrote: »
    So, for me it really comes down to which I want in my system more since the amp I've settled on is this. It appears it won't play nice with the L800's.

It's a real conundrum as I want the L800's but will most likely have to settle for the L700's because of amp choice and I really don't think I have the room to fully explore what the L800's are truly capable of.

H9
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Dual differential balanced IIRC is the topology that will not play nice.
    That one should work.

It's been mentioned in a few of the early reviews but I can't find them. Think, too, Scott Orth mentioned this in a YouTube interview?? I just scanned the L800 OM and don't see it.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,341
    The more Brock changes, the more he stays the same.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    edited December 2022
    Jesse, it takes me time to make a decision. I look at every possible angle. My biggest concern is the L800's being too much speaker and me wasting time and money on a very large pair of AWESOME speakers that only sound OK because they are in the wrong environment.

I also do a lot of speaking out loud in this forum to bounce idea's and start discussions, which sometimes results in other things I hadn't thought of.

I also have a significant other and need to placate her as well.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nooshinjohn
    If they are too much, just disconnect the SDA cable and they will work like the L600. When you are able to use SDA or want to listen in that mode, just plug it back in. Easy…. And you get the best of both worlds.

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,518
    60 day with free return shipping... Just saying
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • heiney9
    I went with the L600's for a variety of reasons.

1) Size, I really think the L800's are too big for my listening space.
    2) Wanting to try a conventional speaker again, it's been awhile.
    3) I still have my 1C's if I miss SDA
    4) Significant other wasn't pleased with the cost and size of L800
    5) Better pairing with a future amp
    6) Reviews are very, very positive
    7) Easier to set-up for optimum listening
    8) Price, $1450 less than L800's. That $$$ can go towards the new amp.
    9) Lower cost means at some point in the future they can get full VR3 mods.

$$$ is rarely a determining factor, but in this case because I was unsure of how the L800's would perform in my room, saving the extra cash made sense.

H9
  • msg
    All reasonable factors. Glad you reached a decision in time. It's maddening trying to work through these purchase decisions sometimes without having both speakers on hand to check out for yourself.

Definitely agree on the ease of setup of conventional. I'm *still* wondering about the L600s...
    But there's always my contingency plan from last year of using the L200s with a sub or 2 if I want to go back to conventional. Still though. L200s are not L600s. dammit. Eh well, can't have everything.

I hope you remembered to order a left and a right one. Same as the L800s, it's not clear on the site.

I disabled signatures.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,833
    Fantastic thread with lots of great info from owners, thanks to all that posted....
  • heiney9
    msg wrote: »
    All reasonable factors. Glad you reached a decision in time. It's maddening trying to work through these purchase decisions sometimes without having both speakers on hand to check out for yourself.

Definitely agree on the ease of setup of conventional. I'm *still* wondering about the L600s...
    But there's always my contingency plan from last year of using the L200s with a sub or 2 if I want to go back to conventional. Still though. L200s are not L600s. dammit. Eh well, can't have everything.

I hope you remembered to order a left and a right one. Same as the L800s, it's not clear on the site.

Crap, no I didn't know there was a L and R for non SDA. Never occured me.
  • heiney9
    My order confirmation doesn't indicate a left or right speaker. Just (2) L 600
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,467
    edited December 2022
    There is only one version of the L600. No left-right difference.

:)