My final speaker for the long term

Options
Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,520
edited November 2022 in 2 Channel Audio
Final speaker for the long term.

My room is a fixed entity, 15x18. It ain’t gonna change anytime soon and the current economy, rising interest, etc… the dream of building a new house with a massive first floor stereo room just ain’t happening anytime soon. I might be able to build a 25x17 room in the backyard someday, but that’s probably 5 years away. I just turned 40, so time is beginning to slip.

Right now I am running what you see in my signature. I wanted to test out some classic speakers that I had lusted over since my college days and procured the Magico MINI II… and truth be told, they are absolutely stunning sounding with the right gear and room treatments.

But now, it’s time for my final act for this room. I don’t think I’ll be tempted again to change if I hit it just right. If I change rooms, then that’s a different story, but if I stayed in this room, then these are pretty much my retirement.

I have seriously lost the urge to do upgrades to most of my components. More like lateral moves to keep updated but no large shifts in audio paradigm. Instead of doing comparisons, etc, I just sit and listen… and listen… and listen. I can sit for 5 hours straight into the early mornings.

I spoke to my wife in detail, and what I want for our 10th anniversary, is my final speaker. She said yeah right, but I’m convinced that if I get this right, I will have reached the summit for my size room. There ain’t no Magico M6 or Wilson XVX for me… in this room… ever.

The two speakers I have narrowed down to are the Magico M2 and the Vivid Giya G2 series 2. Both in black. Both will be used as I don’t like taking the depreciative hit.

The M2 - I have heard on MSB and synergistic research sounded very very good. I think I could get a better sound for my taste at my home base, but I digress. I have heard the Vivid Giya 1 (not the 2) in a DCS and Dartzeel set up and it was very very good as well, but I’m not regarding imaging height, I felt it was too tall a singer, but then the Giya 2 is much shorter so I’m hoping that ameliorates it.

The Vivid attract me because of Lawrence Dickie and his speaker design. I like the nautilus tubes, the lack of diffraction in the cabinet surface, the opposing bass drivers, and the shape is probably about as good as you can make for a wave launch.

The Magico M2 attract me as a next step from my Mini II, Alon Wolf has some good points with cabinet construction, tension rods front the back, diamond dome beryllium tweeter, grapheme mods and bass, isolated pod behind the midrange, copper gaskets, drivers held by tension rather than bolt down into mdf, and sealed design. The cabinet shape of the m2 is also edgeless though not as superlative as the variable width baffle of the Giya 2 s2.

I can’t audition both in my room.
I don’t want to bother dealers since I’m not buying from them.
Luckily I’ve heard them or a semblance of them before and have experience with their progenitors or similar yet not as refined examples (Magico mini 2 and bowers and Wilkins 802d3).

Not sure if any here have some thoughts or ideas. I’m pretty closed off to other options as I don’t want to confuse myself even more. I’ve crossed off Rockports, Stenheim Alumines. I have not heard Estelon. I don’t like Paradigm Persona. I have not heard Vimberg. I have crossed off Sonus Faber (already have Olympica 3). I have definitely crossed off Focal Evo series. I don’t like the new BW 802D4 enough.

One thing I need to keep in mind is not to overload the room… though I have dual JL F113v2 subs with the JL CR1 to attenuate the bass from the speakers if I need to. Something I didn’t have when I had larger speakers that overwhelmed my room in the past.

The best speaker is not the biggest, but the one that fits the room the best.

I’m not after the best speaker in the world, I’m only after what sounds like one I can marry for years and decades.

Thx for listening to me just talk…
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Options
    Magico. The Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory of Loudspeaker manufacturing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5OMquMru3Y
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    I couldn’t look those Giyas everyday.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Black might be the best choice in that case.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,602
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Wildcard: KLIPSCH
  • Joey_V
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    I couldn’t look those Giyas everyday.

Yeah I get that a lot
    Good thing my room is isolated and I listen in the dark but I get that aversion to the looks of the G2S2.
    Reminds me of a soft serve ice cream or peeps
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,873
    Options
    I find that your final speaker is the one where you can't afford the speakers that beat the ones you have :'(
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,030
    Options
    I saw the giyas at the guys house I bought my set of mezzo from. I thought they looked pretty nice in person personally.

Some high end is definitely a beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Wilson audio is a great example of that.

Curious why you didn't like the Evo, I've heard the newer Focals several times and always thought they were too bright.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • stangman67
    Options
    Definitely think some of the real high end focals are still hot. Not nearly as bad as the electras but still bright. Kantas on the other hand are not bright in the least

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • VR3
    Options
    I heard the Scalas in Singapore and was accosted with high frequency sounds!

I heard the Sopra recently and it also was pretty zingy.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • stangman67
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »

Ahh Singapore. One of the centers of audiophilia. I spent 6 months in Singapore in the mid 2010’s and went to many many high end hifi stores.

I compared the Sopras to Kantas, and the Kantas are the much more enjoyable speaker IMO

• Joey_V
    Options
    Still trying for the m2 but the guy all of a sudden seems like he’s interested in raising prices instead of selling at what posted last week.

39,500 was my deal, he’s wanting 45,000 now. He’s been trying to sell for 6 months and then now this? Weird.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    Then come back with 35k or I walk.

😁
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    😱😱😱
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,129
    Options
    I would give that guy one chance to go back to the agreed price, then I would ghost him until he came back to $39.5.

I’d imagine that whatever he’s planning to get went up slightly, so he’s trying to cover the difference. But if he needs those funds to make something happen, every day you don’t respond will feel like a week to him if there aren’t any other serious prospects.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    Options
    Always wanted to hear those
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Driest, sterilist set of speakers I've ever heard. Those that Joey is lusting after use a lot of the B&W technology I had thought. Tubes are just inside the enclosure.
  • VR3
    Options
    Guess it sounds like almost every other bw speaker out there haha

• pitdogg2
    Options
    Yes but more of that "goodness" ...
  • Joey_V
    Options

My friends have sent that link to me… a little expensive, too much of a risk at that price. But cool piece of history nonetheless

Too difficult to power, needs like 4 amps or something?
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I would give that guy one chance to go back to the agreed price, then I would ghost him until he came back to $39.5.

I’d imagine that whatever he’s planning to get went up slightly, so he’s trying to cover the difference. But if he needs those funds to make something happen, every day you don’t respond will feel like a week to him if there aren’t any other serious prospects.

I think you’re right
    Not sure what he’s trying to pull here but if I lose the desire, I’ll leave the unit alone
  • Joey_V
    Options

Definitely think some of the real high end focals are still hot. Not nearly as bad as the electras but still bright. Kantas on the other hand are not bright in the least
    I saw the giyas at the guys house I bought my set of mezzo from. I thought they looked pretty nice in person personally.

Some high end is definitely a beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Wilson audio is a great example of that.

Curious why you didn't like the Evo, I've heard the newer Focals several times and always thought they were too bright.

Ahh Singapore. One of the centers of audiophilia. I spent 6 months in Singapore in the mid 2010’s and went to many many high end hifi stores.

I compared the Sopras to Kantas, and the Kantas are the much more enjoyable speaker IMO

I’ve owned the Kanta 2 for a little while. Just didn’t gel with the sound over time. A little odd in the bass if you really live with it.

• Joey_V
    Options
    My other friend alerted me to this
    I’ve heard the Stenheim 5se… sounded quite good

https://tmraudio.com/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/stenheim-alumine-3-floorstanding-speakers-gray-red-pair/
  • nooshinjohn
    Options

• VR3
    Options
    You are basing your impressions of the Evo based off the Kanta??
  • maxward
    Options
    Not enough of a room for those Maggies.
  • maxward
    Options
    In your original post, Stenheims were crossed off your list. They are getting a lot of good reviews and might be a good match for the room.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    You are basing your impressions of the Evo based off the Kanta??

Nah
    I’m basing it on that and I’ve heard Scala evo and maestro evo
    I don’t like the tweeter in particular.
  • Joey_V
    edited November 2022
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    In your original post, Stenheims were crossed off your list. They are getting a lot of good reviews and might be a good match for the room.

You’re right it might be
    I am interested those 3s
    I heard the larger ones and thought there was something off about the midrange
    Still sounds great, one of the better ones I’ve heard but I heard something I didn’t particularly like
    But it’s so hard because a lot is the room and equipment so I don’t know how my dual arc 10s and Boulder would do.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,602
    Options
    Just stick with the Magico speakers that you have.