Aldi's

Options
OK, who shops there?
Given how prices are rising, these guys have a lot of
stuff cheaper. Some of it is better. Selection sometimes
is a bit lean. We alternately shop there and normal grocery
stores. We just baked up some of these pastries from there.
Really good!
7jx0q67zto4l.jpg
"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,693
    Options
    There aren't any Aldi's stores where I live, but a friend brought me 4 bottles of their Burman's barbecue sauce. I thought they were all excellent.

n7lsmap3zbkm.jpg
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    The area around here lacks grocery store variety.
    Mostly Kroger's. And they're run poorly. So Aldi's
    Is a welcome alternative. There are others like Fresh Market,
    but it's pricey.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,189
    Options
    I have become a regular the past few years. The limited stock is sometimes an issue and I have to go to a full fledged supermarket. Lately I've been disappointed with certain things simply not being available for weeks, or, last week they were out of eggs entirely, even though they carry them from 3 different suppliers! There was something like 10 items I regularly buy that they were out of stock on.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    I've always got a kick out of their stores because it's like stepping into an alternative universe where everything looks sort of familiar but just a little bit different because they source similar stuff from food manufacturers that supply the common name brands but then they slap their own name brands on.

I also confuse Aldi and Lidl, both of which have sprung up in my area in recent years.
  • Emlyn
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    There aren't any Aldi's stores where I live, but a friend brought me 4 bottles of their Burman's barbecue sauce. I thought they were all excellent.

n7lsmap3zbkm.jpg

I wonder if using three different ways of saying BBQ on four different bottles is a strategic decision.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,874
    Options
    Try Winco
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Viking64 wrote: »

n7lsmap3zbkm.jpg

I wonder if using three different ways of saying BBQ on four different bottles is a strategic decision.

oooh, good catch!
    I mean, that's gotta hurt their gross margins on barbecue, umm, B-B-Q, umm, BBQ, ummm... spicy reddish colored sauce! B)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    ... Besides, they forgot Audiophile Barb-EQ sauce!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I do. Family pack chicken breastesses $2.49/lb. About $12-$13 for 5.5lbs. Six nice size non-steroidal looking pieces of chicken. I butterfly them, coat in olive oil, season, and put on the grill. Samwiches for a week, 4oz. serving.

Side plug: butterflying possible and fun! due to @pitdogg2 's recommendation on Work Sharp belt sharpening kit.

Big box of organic greens for smoothies, avocados, romaine lettuce, and Kefir are a few of the other things I specifically pick up there bc they're inexplicably significantly cheaper.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Scott just don't end up like 3 finger Bill.....
    Honey we now have chicken fingers to go with our breastesses ....

B):#
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Scott just don't end up like 3 finger Bill.....
    Honey we now have chicken fingers to go with our breastesses ....

B):#

I'll admit, I've almost done some stupid stuff! and then I remember how easily those cheap knives of mine slice through meats. Almost stabbed myself in the stumitch last weekend! (Don't ask. This is the same schitt I yell at my parents for these days lol)
    I disabled signatures.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    I've found that the biggest thing I would go to Aldi for is fresh meats and vegetables, frozen or fresh. We don't get too much pre-packaged stuff so there's no benefit for us at Aldi's. Aside from that, we go to BJ's Wholesale Club and get meats and vegetables there. I can get better prices on meats because I get the whole cuts and do the rest of the butchering myself.

That said, there's a few Aldi markets near me and they are always packed. There's a Lidl opening nearby soon as well. But we also have supermarkets like Shop Rite, Acme and Wegman's but the three Targets near by all have markets in them and there's two Super Walmarts near by as well. Additionally, there's a couple of Save-A-Lot markets as well as the more esoteric Trader Joe's, Sprout's, Whole Foods and a local deal from a meat packing company called Rastelli's Market Fresh. There's the local markets too like Deterding's, Meat Shopper's (not as cool as it sounds), Murphy's and a number of Hispanic markets. There's even a couple IGAs still around.

So there's a ton of competition for Aldi and Lidl here. We've already lost Shop-N-Bag, SuperFRESH and Geunardi's chains here and Aldi hasn't been nearly as aggressive here as other places.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I just picked up a case of Wagyu Kobe burgers from Rastelli's . .. good stuff

https://www.rastellis.com/

btw, they run specials. Wait for them. Then pounce!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    I, literally, get the mail ads from them every Thursday with the circular pack. There's a Rastelli's location about 4.5 miles from house. They're just...expensive. The quality is good but a guy could go broke shopping there. There's other local butchers that are just as good for better prices. But if you're not in the area, they are a good source, especially for imported stuff. Another good one for that kind of stuff from my area is DiBruno Brothers.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    Options
    Aldi is good for some stuff in our area, fresh vegetables and fruit are definitely a hit or miss

We recently tried Agridime beef...

41 x 10oz NY strips (grain fed which I don't mind) + 10 pounds of ground beef... 250 shipped, no taxes

Beef is excellent quality, tender and have no complaints!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,190
    edited October 2022
    Options
    We shop pretty much exclusive at Aldi except for a few items we go to Costco or Harris Teeter for. Never had any issues and the prices are hard to beat
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Does Aldi' still require CASH for payment? I haven't been in one for years, but thinking of stopping into a new one that's currently being built, when it's completed.

Years ago you paid with CASH, they had Cashiers that had to memorize the price of every item in the store :o this was pre Barcodes/Scanners, and more than likely before Credit and Debit cards. They would check out items and enter that price into the Cash register, from memory, while you loaded up your items in another cart.

Aldi's used to be a German owned company (not sure if they still are) that would take the cash collected every day, from every store and wire it to Germany that evening.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,190
    Options
    Nope cash not required. Everything is modern
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Emlyn
    Options
    Aldi stores in the US are still part of a Germany based multinational company. The US market is very important to them. Lidl has a much smaller presence in the US market although they are about on par with Aldi stores in Europe.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Fastest cashiers of any food/supermarket store I have been to. I believe there were two brothers that parted ways over a disagreement. In the U.S., Trader Joe’s has been owned by Aldi Nord since the late 1970s, while ALDI stores in the U.S. launched under the ownership of Aldi Süd in the mid-70s.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Aldi is good for some stuff in our area, fresh vegetables and fruit are definitely a hit or miss

We recently tried Agridime beef...

41 x 10oz NY strips (grain fed which I don't mind) + 10 pounds of ground beef... 250 shipped, no taxes

Beef is excellent quality, tender and have no complaints!

There is nothing much better than quality Grain fed Beef, Grass fed is nothing more than a cost cutting measure, marketed as 'Healthy'

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    Options
    I could believe it... Grass fed is pretty bland.

I have been pretty blown away by Agridime... The NY strip and the filet mignon and is much much higher quality than my local grocery stores.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Gardenstater
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Cows were not supposed to eat grains any more than people are. They are unhealthy cows. That said, even thought the type of fat is more unhealthy, it is more fat and more marbled and is much more enjoyable to eat. I have almost never had a tender grass fed (not just grass finished) cut of beef.

I wouldn't say grass fed is a cost cutting measure by any means because grain fed puts on the weight and beef is sold by the pound, made up of fat plus lean muscle mass.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    With the cost of Corn close to $7.00 a bushel, it's certainly less expensive to let Cattle graze on grass pastures. Might take them a little longer to get to marketing weight, but still less $ invested in the final product. Prime Beef is more expensive for a reason.

Grass Fed was promoted by the Beef Industry as a healthier choice for those that demanded leaner products. Now some of those demands are met by 'Imitation' Beef/Pork/Chicken. A lot of the population have never experienced a good cut of meat.
  • Gardenstater
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Grass fed beef costs the farmer more per lb., which is reflected in the price. There are more than just feed costs involved per unit time to keep a cow healthy and alive and they take longer to get to marketable weight and weigh less when they are marketed:

"NPR reports that grass-fed cattle are sent to slaughter later than conventionally-fed cattle because their diet contains fewer calories, meaning they take longer to reach optimal weight for slaughter. And, as a result, more money is spent over time to care for them. When slaughtered, grass-fed cattle generally weigh about 1,200 while grain-fed cows weigh closer to 1,350 pounds, per NPR, which means that a farmer will not get as much meat to sell from a grass-fed cow.

Ultimately, the cost to care for and raise a grass-fed cow or steer is reflected in the price per pound you'll be paying in the meat section at your grocery store."

I'm sure it is a lot more healthy due to the lower fat content and greater Omega3 and lesser Omega6 but I don't really care for grass fed beef. I don't know for sure, but I seriously doubt that any restaurant grade Prime Beef could possibly be fully grass fed to make that grade.

Read More: https://www.tastingtable.com/898677/the-real-reason-grass-fed-beef-is-more-expensive-than-regular-beef/?utm_campaign=clip
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    Interesting discussion.

I exclusively buy grass fed beef. Not because I think it’s healthier (maybe it is) or tastes better, but because feed lots literally look like s h i t. Cattle walking around all day with no space to roam, tramping around in filth from dawn to dusk, somehow doesn’t seem like something I want to pay for. 🤷‍♂️
    Alea jacta est!
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    Grass fed beef costs the farmer more per lb., which is reflected in the price. There are more than just feed costs involved per unit time to keep a cow healthy and alive and they take longer to get to marketable weight and weigh less when they are marketed:

"NPR reports that grass-fed cattle are sent to slaughter later than conventionally-fed cattle because their diet contains fewer calories, meaning they take longer to reach optimal weight for slaughter. And, as a result, more money is spent over time to care for them. When slaughtered, grass-fed cattle generally weigh about 1,200 while grain-fed cows weigh closer to 1,350 pounds, per NPR, which means that a farmer will not get as much meat to sell from a grass-fed cow.

Ultimately, the cost to care for and raise a grass-fed cow or steer is reflected in the price per pound you'll be paying in the meat section at your grocery store."

I'm sure it is a lot more healthy due to the lower fat content and greater Omega3 and lesser Omega6 but I don't really care for grass fed beef. I don't know for sure, but I seriously doubt that any restaurant grade Prime Beef could possibly be fully grass fed to make that grade.

Read More: https://www.tastingtable.com/898677/the-real-reason-grass-fed-beef-is-more-expensive-than-regular-beef/?utm_campaign=clip

Kex wrote: »
    Interesting discussion.

I exclusively buy grass fed beef. Not because I think it’s healthier (maybe it is) or tastes better, but because feed lots literally look like s h i t. Cattle walking around all day with no space to roam, tramping around in filth from dawn to dusk, somehow doesn’t seem like something I want to pay for. 🤷‍♂️

Good points by everyone. Being as I live in the Midwest, in the middle of farming country, I've been spoiled most of my life by the ability to purchase Prime Quality Beef directly from the farm. Not from overcrowded Feed Lots and Corporate Farms, Sam's Club or any Grocery Chain. Direct from the individual Farmer that takes good care of his stock, from birth to Market.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,072
    Options
    I buy grass fed milk. I like to think they're happy cows frolicking in a field and not nut to butt standing in piles of shat and can't move. Whether not that is actually the case I will never know.

am6s9km8ss63.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    I just picked up a case of Wagyu Kobe burgers from Rastelli's . .. good stuff

https://www.rastellis.com/

btw, they run specials. Wait for them. Then pounce!

I know there are better deals to be had.
    With the special/coupon/discount it’s less than 3 bucks for a tasty Waygu burger . ., . and convenient packaging and minimal fuss

For this burger ... all ya need is Tom’s MannKittchen fresh pepper dousing and some Himalayan salt....

Superb!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options

Kex wrote: »
    Interesting discussion.

Good points by everyone. Being as I live in the Midwest, in the middle of farming country, I've been spoiled most of my life by the ability to purchase Prime Quality Beef directly from the farm. Not from overcrowded Feed Lots and Corporate Farms, Sam's Club or any Grocery Chain. Direct from the individual Farmer that takes good care of his stock, from birth to Market.

I'm in that realm as well. My personal family farm.
    Our Belted Galloway's are not fed any grain.