George Daniels - PSA - One GREAT guy...

Options
treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,348
Hey fellas. It is with a very heavy heart that I tell you that our highly esteemed brother, Mr. George Daniels health has slid downhill and he isn't doing so well at the moment, at all. Janice (His loving wife) has informed me that at this point, they need a "giant miracle" in order for G to pull through. It sounds to me like the end is very near for him.

I am comforted by the fact that he is constantly surrounded by his brother and his 3 sisters. They have actually rented a house close by, so that they can all take turns being with G 24/7. He just got out of the hospital and is currently at home doing whatever he can do for comfort.

Please do not call them. Janice is about to seriously lose it and G hasn't spoken with anyone yet. It is very hectic around the house right now, FWIW, so please respect their privacy, even if you have his/their number. I have been in communication through messenger with Janice and she seems like she is very busy with all that is going on and it's quite obvious that she is taking this really hard.

I would like to propose that the older members who remember G to possibly think about gathering up something for him and Janice. Newer members that may not have ever gotten the honor to know George are welcome to contribute as well. In the meantime, I can direct Janice to this thread and if G is up and aware of his surroundings, perhaps she can read the comments on this thread to him.....at least we can all let him know what he was and what he meant to the Polk Forum and to the members here.

Sorry to all that I am the bearer of bad news.

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• treitz3
    Options
    9o7a42gk28k6.png

G is in front on the left, sitting next to Janice. Mel and Al are across the table from them. This was one of the most recent photos they have shared. Below is G just doing what he does best. Having fun!

3boffjgeabv5.png

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,331
    Options
    Damn. I hope he and his family are able to make the most of the time they have. Please keep us posted on what your plans are for a special gift for Janice.

Thanks for keeping us updated Tom.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    :(
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • treitz3
    Options
    I have no idea what we could do for a gift. Janice has been trying to call me for days now but it is a very hectic scene down there right now, with all of the extended relatives/friends in the area coming and going, as well as immediate family being there. I think I would like to speak with Janice first, and see if there is anything that they need....or if G has a preference on a charity he believes in. Ideas are more than welcome.

I would say the typical flowers but they probably have a house full of them at the moment, seeing as how he just got out of the hospital yesterday. I think in the meantime, as we stew on what we can do for them, just posting what he meant to us would make him feel better/loved. He hasn't really been active in recent years, more lurking behind the scenes than anything but at one point, he was as regular as they come and a great contributor to this forum.

I would never achieve even 1/20th of the knowledge of music that man has in that head of his. I forget how many years/decades he ran a record shop but talking with him about music was like listening to an encyclopedia of knowledge.

Tom
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Food? Catered? I mean for the relatives.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    SIHAB wrote: »
    Food? Catered? I mean for the relatives.

Excellent idea
    Even as simple as door dash e-gift certificates
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    So sorry to hear of this, I bought my first pair of SDA 1C's and several tubes from George over the years. A perfect gentleman and great human, who loved sharing his passion for good sound. Wishing only the best for George and his loved ones.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    I don't know George, but I’m sorry to hear a beloved member is in a bad state. Best wishes to George and his family.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited August 2022
    Options
    So sorry to hear this news. I have met George a couple of times and bought a Jolida CD player that he modified. Also bought several tubes from him. A true gentleman, praying for him.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Thank you @treitz3 for bringing this to the forum's attention and for the update, as sad and unfortunate as the news is.

I know there are myriad websites that offer tools to help families who are dealing with significant health issues/emergencies, e.g., https://takethemameal.com/ and https://www.caringbridge.org/ (just to name two that we've had some experience with through our church). Do "we" happen to know if the family's using any such resources?
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    Prayers go out to George & family. Thank you for posting
    Randy/Maine
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    I'm very sorry to hear this about George. I had the pleasure of meeting George at Ted's I believe it was. I will keep them in my thoughts

Just let us know what to do Tom!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    Sad news for sure. Best wishes and prayers to George and the family. Please keep us posted.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    Thank you for posting. George and I had some telephone conversations from time to time that immensely deepened my knowledge of audio, and we’ve swapped some gear and tubes over the years. A great man and valued member of CP. My best thoughts to George and his family at this difficult time.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    I'm also sorry to hear about this. :'(

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    Some years ago, Mr. Daniels was very much instrumental when I bought a Dodd Elp as well as some tubes to go with it. It was a great discussion with several others, so in that spirit, after buying it, I sent it to two other Polkies to try out for free before it ultimately made its way to me.

I was looking forward to following his direction on this journey (among others). Sadly, life intervened, other commitments meant that I never had the time to pursue this adequately. I do still possess the Dodd Elp, in the excellent condition he described (he wasn’t the seller, but knew the history of the unit).

I’ve never forgotten our exchanges, though. He truly is a gentleman among the greatest of the greats. He will be in my thoughts and prayers, hoping for the best for him and his family.

May the grace of God shine upon him. Amen.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    Options
    Best wishes to George Daniel for a healthy outcome.
  • starkiller
    starkiller Posts: 2,723
    Options
    Wow, really so sorry to hear of this! Had some dealings with him in years past and as everyone else has echoed he is a great guy to not only work with but in general also...prayers sent!
    Computer room Hegeman 1 SpeakersM&K VX-80 subKenwood DP-7010Cambridge Audio CXC Transport Rega DACPrimaLuna Prologue Four AmpAric Audio Tube PreampGarage Jennings Research SquareCustom tube preampCrown XLS-1000Denon DCD-1500II Modded MSB Link DAC
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Options
    I first met George at a Polkfest at Ted's house (2007?) I've been with George on several occasions. He was at my place about 10 or so years ago. We have mutual friends and I have seen George here in PA as his wife is from Pittsburgh. George is a class act and I hope that he is comfortable.

George is also a Woodstock Alumni.
    Carl

• treitz3
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Thank you @treitz3 for bringing this to the forum's attention and for the update, as sad and unfortunate as the news is.

I know there are myriad websites that offer tools to help families who are dealing with significant health issues/emergencies, e.g., https://takethemameal.com/ and https://www.caringbridge.org/ (just to name two that we've had some experience with through our church). Do "we" happen to know if the family's using any such resources?

Not at the moment but thank you for the information. When I hear from Janice, I will let you know. Thanks again.

Tom
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    I've had the pleasure of George and Janice's company and hospitality on many occasions. I am truly grateful for that.

George, if you get to read this or have it read for you I have some idea of the situation...it flat out sucks! God bless and God speed...it's been a long strange trip.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,065
    Options
    Saddened to hear this. Though I’ve never had any interaction with him, he was one of what I considered the main posters in my early years on the forum. Super knowledgeable, always willing to help others, and the type of guy that seemed to take the high road and not engage in the “disputes” on the forum. If he did engage, he did so in a respectful manner. Bottom line, he made a positive impression on me during my time on the forum. And less importantly, he always seemed to have great gear.

I’ll be praying for George and his family.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,164
    Options
    Prayers go out for George and his family!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    Options
    Prayers from our family to yours..............
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    Prayers for George and his family.

Never had the honor of meeting him personally but George Daniels is in a rather rare group of Polkies who one could reference in a discussion about nearly anything and say "Well, George Daniels says....." and that would suffice to end any confusion.

Sal Palooza
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    Prayers for George and his family!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Prayers for that needed miracle.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    May George and his family find peace and calm in this time of extraordinary stress and hardship.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    Love & prayers for a good outcome. God Bless.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2