Monitor 5B refresh

Options
1235»

Answers

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    The CCP censors in live time. If they don't like your cable choices, you're nixed.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    @shaneybob As a fellow 5 owner: glad you gave it a shot, sad you don't feel you got your money's worth =(

I know if I only had the setup at my Dad's to go off of, I'd be disappointed. I found the magic sauce at my house. I don't think I can get them to sound as good there. The rooms are just too difficult. And the receiver/amp selection is different.

I think you went a level higher on the Clarity selection and inductor. I used a different resistor, put in the 6x6 BH5, and did the inner basket foam + phase plugs. Our wire might be comparable. It'd be neat to compare them in a different space with a couple of different amps. I wish there was an established get-together thing close to where I am, but I'm not in a good region for that.

I agree that a tweeter and crossover upgrade are the standard, and good enough for most people. I got a lot of imaging benefit from the crossover. I got some sparkle over the old tweeter with my replacements.

Thanks to the audiologist, I also know my hearing is still 'youthful', so some of my gains might be lost on a lot of us.

I enjoyed reading your thread. It's a nice bookend to mine for curious minds. Two different experiences, similar mods, different setups.

I think a lot of us will be interested to hear where you go from here, with different speakers or?
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • odcics2
    odcics2 Posts: 309
    Options
    Interesting that some modifications are easily heard, others are inaudible.
    All room and ear dependent of course.