Monitor 5B refresh

Options

Answers

• ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    shaneybob wrote: »
    None really. I could use some more poly fill. Mine only ever came with some above the midwoofer. I’ve put hurricane nuts on everything, a set of semi-rings from xchop, dynamat on MW and PR, rebuilt xovers for TL mod and replaced all the wiring, new binding posts, and spikes on my stands.

Sounds like you've done everything. I wouldn't add more polyfill than stock, just make sure it's shoved up above the passive radiator and you should be good.

I folded mine in half and put it above the crossover.

jx1eztdlp0tl.jpg
  • shaneybob
    shaneybob Posts: 58
    Options
    The problem is that one speaker has twice as much polyfill as the other. I think they just randomly shoved some in there. There is a slight difference in sound between them. I also have a 4x4 square of BH5 on the rear panel directly behind the MW's. Where to get poly fill like the stock stuff? It seems to be in sheets about 3-4" thick and more stiff/fibrous than what I have seen my wife use for pillows and such.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    I can't speak for BH5, but when I add a 6×6x 5/8" square behind mids, I have found that I can remove 1/3 of the Dacron and still have good balance between midrange and bass output.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    Dacron in sheets can be found at most sewing and fabric stores.
    Yes it comes in different grades but it's out there.
  • Sitka
    Sitka Posts: 74
    Options
    Great job Shaneybob! Down the road you may consider changing out those Mundorf resistors to Mills. Having used both - and both are good - the Mundorfs can get too bright when the music gets loud. The Mills seem better at keeping the highs in balance. For polyfill, the place to go is Walmart.
  • shaneybob
    Options
    Alrighty. I have about 10 hrs on them. Can’t say that they’ve changed in any way from “break in”, but they do sound better than before. More clarity and tighter bass is noticeable.

My room is very small at 12.5’ x 13’. Guitar amps, guitars, and speakers line the outside walls pretty much so only the middle is open. I decided this evening to say screw it and pull them out into the room. Right now they are 40” from the side walls, 5’ apart, 3’ from the front wall. I have them toed-in 1” and tilted up 1/4” (1.5 degrees) at 9” off the floor. My listening position is right at 6’ away, which leaves 3.5’ behind me. I tried cross firing them in front of me, right behind me, straight to my ears, and straight ahead. So far this position is best. I also tried tilting them up 3 degrees, but that’s too high and it sounds better standing behind my chair than in it. The 1/4” is better than flat. Had my wife listen as I moved things around as her ears aren’t as f$&%ed up as mine. She agrees with the current positioning. Sounds best with time controls bypassed as well, which is an improvement from pre-refresh, where they needed added treble and bass. My line arrays are behind the 5B’s and to the outside. I don’t know to what extent they may be affecting the Polks, but I may put a shorting plug in the arrays as I’ve read that can help in these situations. I know the arrays are where they need to be.

• shaneybob
    Options
    6w95bi7wiume.png

Here's how it currently looks. The drawing makes it look more spacious than in actually feels.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Been wondering how these have settled in for you?

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • shaneybob
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    I have several 100 hours on them now. Because my room is so small I’m listening nearfield with them about 6.5’ apart and 4.4’ in front of me and toed in pointing at my ears. 5’ or so from the front wall. That was the absolute best I have tried so far (a dozen different placements).

They sound better than they did. The tweeter upgrade was worth it for sure as far as smoothness goes. I don’t know how much difference the BH5, steel rings, or expensive caps actually make with these. All in all, they are better. $450 better? Honestly, I’ve heard better $500 speakers than these. If it wasn’t for the nostalgia value, since I bought these new back in the mid 80’s, I’d call it too much money spent. I’d recommend a crossover update with new caps that doesn’t cost much and the drop-in RD0194 and call it a day.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Fair enough! Since you are evidently a musician, your comments carry some weight. Was hoping you'd be a little more upbeat on them, but I appreciate your bluntness. 5's have always intrigued me for a couple smaller spaces I have.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • xschop
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    I have several 100 hours on them now. Because my room is so small I’m listening nearfield with them about 6.5’ apart and 4.4’ in front of me and toed in pointing at my ears. 5’ or so from the front wall. That was the absolute best I have tried so far (a dozen different placements).

They sound better than they did. The tweeter upgrade was worth it for sure as far as smoothness goes. I don’t know how much difference the BH5, steel rings, or expensive caps actually make with these. All in all, they are better. $450 better? Honestly, I’ve heard better $500 speakers than these. If it wasn’t for the nostalgia value, since I bought these new back in the mid 80’s, I’d call it too much money spent. I’d recommend a crossover update with new caps that doesn’t cost much and the drop-in RD0194 and call it a day.

After all the Uber mods done to my 5Bs, it is very hard to distinguish between a few different brand caps.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    You've got them on stands?

[looks at your previous post]

9 inches, pointed up? I bet a lot of sound is getting absorbed/altered by the floor.

- My stands are about 2.5ft tall (I'd double-check, but I took them to my Dad in Michigan). The mids and tweeters were right at head height from my chair.

- I used a laser pointer and played with them pointed at my ears and pointed almost straight ahead. I liked them straighter closer together and angled-in more further out.

- They were anywhere from 3 feet to 1 foot from the side walls. It depended on what I had in the room. I liked them wider. I still got the full soundstage, no matter how far apart they were, as long as tweaked them into the right orientation for the position.

- The bass was best somewhere between 1 foot to 3 inches from the back wall (depending on how close to the corners I had them in the last^ bullet). 3 inches further away from the corners, 6 inches to a foot from the corner itself when close to the side walls.

[thinks]

I'd try them farther from the floor, closer to the back wall, and further apart =)

The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • shaneybob
    edited October 2023
    Options
    You've got them on stands?

[looks at your previous post]

9 inches, pointed up? I bet a lot of sound is getting absorbed/altered by the floor.

- My stands are about 2.5ft tall (I'd double-check, but I took them to my Dad in Michigan). The mids and tweeters were right at head height from my chair.

- I used a laser pointer and played with them pointed at my ears and pointed almost straight ahead. I liked them straighter closer together and angled-in more further out.

- They were anywhere from 3 feet to 1 foot from the side walls. It depended on what I had in the room. I liked them wider. I still got the full soundstage, no matter how far apart they were, as long as tweaked them into the right orientation for the position.

- The bass was best somewhere between 1 foot to 3 inches from the back wall (depending on how close to the corners I had them in the last^ bullet). 3 inches further away from the corners, 6 inches to a foot from the corner itself when close to the side walls.

[thinks]

I'd try them farther from the floor, closer to the back wall, and further apart =)

They are on stands. Tweeters are at ear level, tilted 4 degrees. My room is quite small and square, basically 12x12 feet, so worst case scenario. They are as wide as I can put them. There is about 100’ of masking tape all over my floor from positioning them. Where I have them gives me the best soundstage and the bass is more than adequate. Not much difference in bass from when they are 1’ from the front wall. They sound fine, better than before. If I put in where I have them located into several of the room mode calculators it matches for best bass response. Remember, square room. Again, I wouldn’t suggest to anyone to put this kind of money into a pair. Maybe the larger Polks like SDS, for sure, but not these. This was an exercise in nostalgia more than anything as I’d never get rid of them.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Looked like 9" off the floor up there^, hence my focus on height =)

I had a square room (I bisected a large rectangular room), so I totally get the layout. My area was just a hair larger.

Our placement results are more different than I'd expect. [thinks].

How are the imaging and soundstage?

What is the biggest listening disappointment for you so far?
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    Also isn't there something to be said about listening to your music/speakers in a room full of (other) speakers?
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,189
    Options
    Yep. They probably need room to breathe. Have you tried removing those speakers that are behind and outside of them? Room acoustics are super important, especially if you have worst case scenario of a square room. I'm thinking you really are going to need some acoustic panels, at the very least at the first reflection points and don't forget the floor. Probably some bass traps at the corners between walls and ceiling.

On the mods I think you have done the ones that people would say are non negotiable but they are the high buck for the bang ones for sure. Not sure about that Canare wire. Is it even OFC? I used Cardas Litz and Neotech UPOCC.

Tweeter anti-diffraction wool and Armacell foam inside the basket are two of the high bang for the buck ones and yes this is just my 2c but from personal experience.

George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Canare is very good wire.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I have heard that they are a respected company. I do see however that they have an OFC version of that wire, which is the 4S8G, vs. the 4S8 which is standard electrical grade presumably.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Every speaker cable I have bought from them is ALL O2free, you're splitting hairs, AS always.

As a matter of FACT several speaker wire companies use (canare) in the production of the cable that carries their (insert speaker wire companies) name, they rejacket the cable with their name.
    Signal Cable is one of them.

4S6(G) 1.02/17 (pair) 1.85 0.037 9.5 3.0
    4S8(G) 2.52/14 (pair) 0.75 0.015 23.3 7.3
    4S11(G) 4.36/11 (pair) 0.45 0.009 38.9 12.2
    4S10F(G) 3.50/15 (pair) 0.55 0.011 31.8 10.0
    4S12F(G) 5.62/13 (pair) 0.35 0.007 50.0 15.7
    4S14F(G) 8.00/12 (pair) 0.25 0.005 70.0 22.0
    4S18F(G) 14.16/9 (pair) 0.15 0.003 116.7 36.7

They also make incredible coax cable, I've used it and their EXCELLENT RCA's to make very good RCA cables for gear.
  • shaneybob
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Like I’ve said, they are better than before. Mainly due to the tweeter swap. IMO that’s the best mod. I don’t have golden ears or a pocketbook so they are what they are. I’ve never heard a difference in wire or cables that were of suitable gauge for the task. I’m done with any more mods with them and have moved on to other things like finishing building my guitar amps.
    Looked like 9" off the floor up there^, hence my focus on height =)
    How are the imaging and soundstage?

What is the biggest listening disappointment for you so far?

12” off the floor.
    Imaging is good as is the soundstage. But compared to the DIY pseudo line arrays I have there is no comparison. I have a set of Lii F15’s I just got and sat those on the floor leaned against the Polk stands to verify they worked, no baffles or anything, and they produce a soundstage that is wall to wall with imaging that’s incredible.
    HzTweaker wrote: »
    Also isn't there something to be said about listening to your music/speakers in a room full of (other) speakers?

Well, this is a combination music room. If anything has to go it’ll be the stereo system. I don’t have any other place to put it so compromises must be made.

The fact is the 5B’s sound nice, better than before, but they aren’t all that, especially since it cost me more to upgrade them than it did to buy them new. I’ve had these for nearly 40 years is many different rooms against many other speakers over that time so I know how they sound.

It’s very good wire. I’ve never heard a difference in wire though.

I’ve had more expensive cables and found the connections well built, but no difference in sound. Let’s consider that it’s less than 20”. I’m not sure you’re really going to hear a difference in hookup wire inside the cabinet once you’re using a suitable gauge. Those line arrays have about 15’ each of fancy Royal Cable 14awg auto speaker cable from Walmart in them hooked to $15 buyout drivers going on 15 years and they sound better than the 5B’s after the mods, at least in my room.

Post edited by shaneybob on
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    FWIW and this is just my own opinion and personal experience, but when I replaced my OEM Polk tweeter wires with Cardas Litz 15.5awg, I got a pretty noticeable almost jaw dropping improvement. And I didn't even twist the wires together which was an omission on my part that I need to correct when I make the time.

Not splitting hairs to say that the composition of speaker cable makes a difference. Just my 2c again and not trying to get anyone upset here.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    Options
    I used that Cardas Litz on the point-to-point X-overs for the billet 5Jr's. It opened up the tweeter clarity a bit more. I have alot of patience, but not for soldering that stuff ever again.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    I used that Cardas Litz on the point-to-point X-overs for the billet 5Jr's. It opened up the tweeter clarity a bit more. I have alot of patience, but not for soldering that stuff ever again.

I agree Cardas is great stuff, BUT that enamal coating is a PITA to remove. I hear a solder pot works but I did not have one.

• Gardenstater
    Options
    Every speaker cable I have bought from them is ALL O2free, you're splitting hairs, AS always.

Awesome! I didn't create this chart though, on their own website. I'm not itching for a fight just commenting on DIY audio on an audio forum. I could be a skeerdy cat closet modder afraid of being rebuked or I can share my experiences on this forum. I'm going to continue to do that latter.

jkhdtv32n0uh.jpg

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • shaneybob
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Interesting. I had a long post here replying to multiple quotes commenting on wire, my line arrays, etc. and now it’s gone. Even edited it once so I know it posted. I’m out if that’s how it works here. Thanks for the help with the 5B’s.

Suffice to say the 5B are better than they were. Can’t say the soundstage nor imaging is significantly better. I’ve had them for 40 years in many rooms, not a new owner. The best bang is the tweeter replacement.
    I don’t believe nor have I ever heard 15” of wire make a sound difference when it is a suitable gauge. My line arrays sound better. Still. With 15’ of cheap zip cord internally and discount drivers. It is what it is. My room is a music room (re. Guitars and such that aren’t moving) so the hifi setup is what it is.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Interesting. I had a long post here replying to multiple quotes commenting on wire, my line arrays, etc. and now it’s gone. Even edited it once so I know it posted. I’m out if that’s how it works here. Thanks for the help with the 5B’s.

Unfortunately that is the "feature" of the vanille website, it has happened to many of us a time or three.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    I saw it. People here besides you have also reported that something went wrong when they tried to edit their posts and they disappeared. Hasn't happened to me......YET. That's annoying as all he. ll.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    It's a thing. And it's frustrating.

I started copying my long posts (I'm... detailed, not wordy!) before I hit save/post.
  • shaneybob
    Options
    I’ve never had it happen on any other forum I’ve ever been on.

Again, I would say if someone wanted to refurb these they should replace the crossover caps (just because they’re old and probably electrolytics) and the tweeter. Any more than that IMO is wasted money they’d be better off spending on different speakers instead of chasing minute gains that most couldn’t hear.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    I’ve never had it happen on any other forum I’ve ever been on.

A vast majority still use Vbulletin, which is VASTLY more stable than the Vanilla crud.