And then there were three………

Options
TEAforONE
TEAforONE Posts: 1,002
I was looking for a catchy title. Well, I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a brand new pair of subs for my 13x9x8 listening room. Currently I’m running three subs. Two HSU STF-1’s,and one HSU VTF2 mk3. I haven decided if I will stay with three,or move the STF-1’s to the rear of the room,and run four. The three models I’ve narrowed my search down to are, SVS sb1000 pro, REL T5x,and Rythmik L12. I really don’t think I could make a bad choice,but,what are your opinions on the subject?
Thanks in advance,
Ray
See my profile for list of gear.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    Good problem to have 😉
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    The REL and SVS will sound very different from each other.

I like REL for musical bass, and SVS for theater bass.

Can’t speak to the Rhythmik sonics.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    I think if you need that many subs you've got the wrong one.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I think if you need that many subs you've got the wrong one.

Whether the subs are for music or HT, I would think if you need that many subs then you have a problem.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Sell all the HSU and go for a big boy Rythmik.

Bigger than the L12. Also you might have some weird cancellation of bass frequencies happening in your room. Worth doing a frequency sweep or getting a model with PEQ adjustments.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,520
    Options
    My SVS 3000 micro feels...

inadequate :o
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    edited May 2022
    Options
    TEAforONE wrote: »
    I was looking for a catchy title. Well, I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a brand new pair of subs for my 13x9x8 listening room. Currently I’m running three subs. Two HSU STF-1’s,and one HSU VTF2 mk3. I haven decided if I will stay with three,or move the STF-1’s to the rear of the room,and run four. The three models I’ve narrowed my search down to are, SVS sb1000 pro, REL T5x,and Rythmik L12. I really don’t think I could make a bad choice,but,what are your opinions on the subject?
    Thanks in advance,
    Ray

What is this primarily for? Music or HT? What other gear are you running? Any room EQ? Have you tried running just the bigger HSU?

I will say that in my smallish HT, one big bad sub with audyssey XT-32 is plenty (but the front three do have powered subs in them so perhaps I’m cheating…). In my two channel, my room really necessitates EQ. I have two subs with bookies running full range, and Dirac live makes a HUGE difference….
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    All my gear is listed in my profile. It is music only. Yes I have run just one. I believe,and prefer multiple subs. This is the sound I prefer. I was just looking for any feedback folks might have on my choices. Not looking for critique on my sonic preferences.
    Thanks,
    Ray
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    I highly recommend 8 subwoofers. All four corners and all four ceiling corners.

Thanks

Signed, the enabler
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    Thanks for all the help. Enjoy!!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    What genre of music are you primarily listening to?
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    What genre of music are you primarily listening to?

Everything but classical,country,and rap.
  • rooftop59
    edited May 2022
    Options
    All my gear is listed in my profile. It is music only. Yes I have run just one. I believe,and prefer multiple subs. This is the sound I prefer. I was just looking for any feedback folks might have on my choices. Not looking for critique on my sonic preferences.
    Thanks,
    Ray

Calm down dude, no one’s criticizing anyone’s anything! (Accept @msg, that guy’s a terd bucket). At least in my room, Dirac live makes a huge difference. Bass is tighter and deeper, image has better focus and is bigger with better placed instruments, etc. you can put a million subs in a room, one change the acoustic issues of said room…

As for the subs, if this is for music only, ignore svs and HSU, as much as I love both brands. I have never heard an epic, but if I was buying new for music that would likely be my choice.

OTOH, are you handy and have access to tools? I love my 2 little Dayton DIY subs, and if your budget is higher you could make two killer 12 inch sealed subs with much better drivers than what I have and with something like this: https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/ddrc-24 for room correction and use it just for the two subs…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • F1nut
    Options
    Thanks,
    Ray

For music get one of the Velodyne DD+ series subs. Done!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Consider a Monolith 15 or 16.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tOkcKe3DUD0
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • rooftop59
    Options
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    Consider a Monolith 15 or 16.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tOkcKe3DUD0

I LOVE my monolith 15. It is NOT for a pure two channel system however…
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Thanks,
    Ray

Calm down dude, no one’s criticizing anyone’s anything! (Accept @msg, that guy’s a terd bucket). At least in my room, Dirac live makes a huge difference. Bass is tighter and deeper, image has better focus and is bigger with better placed instruments, etc. you can put a million subs in a room, one change the acoustic issues of said room…

As for the subs, if this is for music only, ignore svs and HSU, as much as I love both brands. I have never heard an epic, but if I was buying new for music that would likely be my choice.

OTOH, are you handy and have access to tools? I love my 2 little Dayton DIY subs, and if your budget is higher you could make two killer 12 inch sealed subs with much better drivers than what I have and with something like this: https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/ddrc-24 for room correction and use it just for the two subs…

I didn’t mean to sound so crass, it just seems the first couple responses didn’t have to do with the question at hand. I appreciate that some enjoy one sub,and that’s all they need. I’ve been building this system in this particular room for going on 12 years.
    I do have access to tools,but I really prefer to let someone else do the building. At this point in my life,I’ll spend the money to get one of them store bought fancy things. My HSU’s have served me well,but ya,I agree that there is much better to be had. Those STF1’s got to be going on 20 years old. They work fine,no buzz,hums. I have the ports blocked to get them a little tighter. I’ve heard really good things about SVS subs, but I’ve heard they maybe kind of flashy for lack of a better term.(big wow factor) The Rythmik is interesting because of the servo technology. The REL is interesting because of the huge following.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    FWIW I picked up a SVS sb16 ultra sub mostly based on recommendations from the Polk forum last year (great advice) and I've been very happy with it.
    But I don't think you could go wrong with any of the subs you have listed. Their jobs are to provide bass and no doubt they all excel at doing just that.
  • F1nut
    Options
    For music get one of the Velodyne DD+ series subs. Done!

Servo subs and a helluva lot more.

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Ryyhmik sounds great and won't break the bank
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    Options
    This just in from a gentleman on another forum that I've been talking with. He got his DD+ today.
    The Velodyne arrived today and I competed the initial self- and auto-setup steps. Wow, this thing is incredible… the test sweeps sounded amazing and went substantially lower than the Rythmik F12G. Spec wise they’re not too far apart but listening in the room they’re very different.

President of Club Polk

• TEAforONE
    Options
    Sometimes strange things happen. I just found a 9/10 pair of SVS sb2000 pro for a smoking deal. I think I can make them work. I can guarantee that they will sound better than what I have.I picked these up Agon. The nice thing,these were half my budget. I hope they’re not too “flashy”.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    I'm still impressed with my pair of SB2000s for music and home theater. I wouldn't mind going the Rel way though.

:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpalU3sdJV8
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    The pair of SB 2000 pro that I purchased on the used market,will be here on Wednesday. ( according to FedEx tracking) in the mean time, I moved the two STF-1’s into my secondary system. Always trying to be open minded for audio, I am running one sub in my listening room as an experiment. I haven tried just on in years. The jury is still out,but I was happier than I thought I would be. It took some tinkering with crossover, phase, volume,and location, but it actually sounds pretty decent.
    2r85xhz6br9w.jpeg
    azn41cel0sdz.jpeg
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    As much as this was going to controlled purchase, I had started to lean towards REL. Then an ad pops up on another forum for a pair of SB-2000pro. The pair cost less than a new single,shipping in lncluded. I really couldn’t say no. Worse case, I would have no problem selling to check out something else. I do have a feeling that I will be able to get these squared away with minimal issues.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    You probably already know about the Southpath add on footers...

https://www.svsound.com/products/soundpath-subwoofer-isolation-system
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »

Those will be a most certain add on a some point. I received the SB2000 pros today, unboxed them,and set them up. I used SVS’s placement of halfway down opposing walls. Played with the settings to the point where I’m going to let them sit,and tweak from there. I am very impressed with the quality. Mine are gloss black,and pretty! They seem to have blended very well with my LS3/5’s,which are a bit of a challenge. So far,so good. I am also thinking of only running two subs,vs three or four. I have a feeling I can achieve this.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »

I think those may be beneficial on hard floors but a used SB12 NSD I picked up with those didn't suit me for use on carpet. Lost too much impact and definition. Spiking the sub was definitely better.
  • F1nut
    edited May 2022
    Options
    For my subs I use tall rubber feet for the one on a hard floor and tall spikes for the one on carpet. Getting any sub at least a few inches off the floor is beneficial to their performance, IME.

President of Club Polk