Dead tweeters on one month old R700's

Options
This is likely an easy answer for many, but at the risk of embarrassment, I will tell you what I have done. I have been enjoying my new r700 immensely but at lower volumes. A few days ago I had the house to myself and thought I would see what these speakers could do at close to reference levels. Bi-amped with an Anthem receiver and an Emotiva XPA amp, I may have cooked the tweeters. This would be a first for me but I would venture to guess that this is what has happened as there is no sound coming from either tweeter but both the mid and bass drivers are fine. Does anyone care to weigh in?
I have contacted Polk and they are graciously sending replacements as they are new.
I will admit to playing very clean source material with no distortion at a pretty high volume but nothing crazy, could this be a manufacturer defect?
Cheers,
Jmore64

Answers

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    How are you bi-amping?
  • jmore64
    jmore64 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hello, I'm using the Emotiva to drive the bass drivers and using the Anthems front main out to drive mid and tweeter
  • Clipdat
    Options
    I would suggest abandoning the bi-amping thing and just hooking them up to one amplifier with the stock jumpers in place to see what happens.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    I would check the crossovers first for burnt resistors
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jmore64
    Options
    I have gone back to the simple one amp set up as you said. I will say that there was quite a noticeable improvement in the overall sound stage and liveliness when they were bi-amped. At the risk of damaging another set of tweeters, I will stay with the one amp set up. Thanks for your feedback. Cheers
  • jmore64
    Options
    q7zv726c68iy.jpg
    Took a picture of the tweeter. It is looking rather distorted :neutral:
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    You will still damage the speakers with one amp if it is played too loud.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Looks like someone poked it with their fingers.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    jmore64 wrote: »
    I have gone back to the simple one amp set up as you said. I will say that there was quite a noticeable improvement in the overall sound stage and liveliness when they were bi-amped. At the risk of damaging another set of tweeters, I will stay with the one amp set up. Thanks for your feedback. Cheers

And does the tweeter make sound now?
  • jmore64
    Options
    Well if nothing else, I've certainly learned a lesson on the limitations of my gear.
  • jmore64
    Options
    No kids in the house and the wife doesn't go near my stuff but that's what it looks like and the other one looks similar. I think they just overheated. Apparently, after talking to a tech at Polk, there has been a run of bad tweeters.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    You will still damage the speakers with one amp if it is played too loud.

How do you know this?
  • Clipdat
    Options
    No kids in the house and the wife doesn't go near my stuff but that's what it looks like and the other one looks similar. I think they just overheated. Apparently, after talking to a tech at Polk, there has been a run of bad tweeters.

How loud were you listening?
  • jmore64
    Options
    I will look forward to receiving the replacement tweeters and getting my r700's running again, it's a fine speaker.
  • jmore64
    Options
    Signing off for now, thanks for all of the input.
  • Clipdat
    Options
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    Options
    ... I think they just overheated. Apparently, after talking to a tech at Polk, there has been a run of bad tweeters.

oh, my. :(
  • Clipdat
    Options
    A likely story!
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    Options
    Maybe I’m the minority here, but I have never blown a tweeter, not even before I fell into this hobby..
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,649
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Maybe I’m the minority here, but I have never blown a tweeter, not even before I fell into this hobby..

Me neither...
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I took our an Electrovoice LS-12 twincone 12" fullrange with my Yamaha CA-610II one day, a long, long time ago. :/

EDIT: I also used to pop the 1 A tweeter fuses on my Polk 7As more than occasionally when Daltry screamed at the climax of Won't Get Fooled Again. You know -- back in my yoot'. :#
    That probably had as much to do with IGD as it did with amplifier output power, though. :o
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

Rookie.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    I've never blown a tweet but used to trip mine often in my younger days (vintage Polks). It would always happen on Dokkens song Walk Away. Lynch's solo always did it...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    Makes sense if it’s a bad batch of tweeters. Even though the bi-amping is a bit redneck and not sure how you keep the volume the same on both, it’s plenty of power and shouldn’t blow those tweets unless you are at seriously ear bleeding levels imho…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited June 2022
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Makes sense if it’s a bad batch of tweeters. Even though the bi-amping is a bit redneck and not sure how you keep the volume the same on both, it’s plenty of power and shouldn’t blow those tweets unless you are at seriously ear bleeding levels imho…

Yep, there's no way he had the AVR and power amp gain levels matched.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    I cooked a couple of RDO-194's cranking Joe Walsh once. They kept playing but with a horrible buzzing sound. Luckily I keep spares.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • ZDarkmon
    Options
    I have the same issue. Blown tweeter. Just contacted customer service for direction on replacing. Nothing was mentioned here about how to replace the tweeter. There are no screws on the front to remove like the old days. How are the drivers mounted into the cabinet? Are they friction fit or glued in? I would like to know so when I get the replacement, I'll be all set.
    Thanks
  • jmore64
    Options
    Hello, it's pretty simple. If I remember correctly, the black ring that surrounds the tweeter is held in with three magnets. If you can find yourself a thin piece of metal ie. Exacto blade or similar, (I used a flat electronic connector) fit it in between the outside edge of the plastic ring and cabinet, and carefully lift out the ring. This will expose the mounting screws. Undo these screws (4) the tweeter can now be pulled out. Be careful not to let the wires slip back into the speaker when you disconnect. Best of luck, and enjoy your speakers they are great sounding, and getting better all the time.
  • ZDarkmon
    Options
    That worked. Thank you. Just have to wait for the tweeter now. :/
  • ZDarkmon
    Options
    I agree that the speakers sound great. I had a pair of Polk SDA-SRS 2.3 back in the late 80's. Loved those speakers! BIG Sound! But I also got a pair of old JBL L100's from my dad just recently. I fixed them up with new grills and tweeter foam rings and they sound awesome. Totally different sound from the R700's. I get to direct compare them and to tell you the truth, right now I really like the JBL's better. The richness of the mid-range and bass has more tonal quality and fullness. Maybe after I get the tweeter fixed, I'll give the Polks another hard listen and see where we are then.
    Thanks again.