Looking for a musical sub

Options
2»

Comments

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Enjoy, and report back! I've got a pair of Rythmik F8 and love them.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,972
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    As a proud L12 owner, I am sure that you will love it. However, I don't believe it has speaker level connections, line-level input only:

2k1tshhqeoig.png

I was going by this:
    bu4t1y0v32su.jpg

Looks like speaker input is below the controls?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The original servo sub company is Velodyne, but unlike Rythmik, not all of their models utilize servo technology.

Going off memory, Velodyne servo subs sample the driver movement 16,000 times per second. Tight, tuneful bass is the result.

Velodyne set the bar for subs many moons ago. Over the years the owner, David Hall, lost interest and recently sold the company. Velodyne is now owned by a German business man, nice guy.

Velodyne has fallen far off. It's a shame , they where my favorite sub company back in the day. They build some of the very best subs on the market.

Today JL Audio took their place in the market and they are equally as good on many levels.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    If you can find a used Martin Logan grotto, those are excellent. Original ML dynamos abound an eBay and are very musical, sealed, and hit into the upper 20s. You could get a pair at your budget. That’s what I would be tempted to do…

I gotta agree with this. Martin Logan Exploded onto the Sub scene back in 2001 or so. They knocked it out of the part with ease. We all where shocked in all the models they released and how damn good they all where.

If you can grab one, get one they are remarkable.
    Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    New prices of everything has gone up. SVS has a 1000 series Pro sub that is supposed to be wonderful especially for the money. It's $599 retail so if you can put together another $100 , I think you can get a really nice affordable long lasting subwoofer.
    Dan
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    Options
    Bob, different plate amps go to different models of subs they offer. The plate amp pictured below is available on the F-25 (and possibly others) as an option.
    040lz5ay7buy.png
    The above photo is just a photo of how direct servo works, not the plate amp that comes with the sub you ordered. Drew provided a photo of the "actual" plate amp that comes with your sub. When I looked, your sub model appears to not be available with speaker level connectors.
    https://www.rythmikaudio.com/compact_amplifiers.html - Compact plate amps
    https://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12-300.html - Your sub
    Y splitters on a line level connection will bypass this issue but from the looks of it, your sub is not offered in a speaker level connection.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,508
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Introduced in 1968 the Infinity Servo-Static speaker system introduced the first servo controlled subwoofer designed by John Ulrick.

0cyl46vyvik6.png
    Post edited by SeleniumFalcon on
  • muncybob
    Options
    Crap. Hope I can cancel the wire order placed yesterday. Attached is the description of the inputs/outputs on my preamp. I would be using the EQ jacks?

Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • treitz3
    Options
    You can get a "Y" splitter and just split the signal coming out of the main outputs. One would go to the sub and the other would go to the amplifier.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,606
    edited November 2021
    Options
    muncybob wrote: »
    Crap. Hope I can cancel the wire order placed yesterday. Attached is the description of the inputs/outputs on my preamp. I would be using the EQ jacks?

Your preamp has two sets of RCA outputs, so you're golden as long as you have another set of RCA cables handy.

Simply keep the first set running to your amp and run the second set to the sub. You can cancel your speaker wire order.

a61fep3h4r12.png
  • muncybob
    Options
    But, I'm currently running two amps from those outputs. A set of outdoor and a set of indoor speakers.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    But, I'm currently running two amps from those outputs. A set of outdoor and a set of indoor speakers.

Hey Bob, another possibility is RCA splitters, which I have used for similar situations in the past I have a nice pair of Audioquest that I am no longer using if you’re interested.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,606
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Two of these on the main output should get you what you need.
    4faa5750-e587-4544-89ce-019635fc7b82_1.88fc4331a94b8af8b875cc8ea57aa4cd.jpeg
  • rooftop59
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Two of these on the main output should get you what you need.
    4faa5750-e587-4544-89ce-019635fc7b82_1.88fc4331a94b8af8b875cc8ea57aa4cd.jpeg

Yes, I have some Audioquest branded splitters like that that I am not using…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,041
    Options
    Keep in mind the second set of preouts is already a splitter so using another splitter could cause some issues
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • muncybob
    Options
    Now that I think about it, rarely run both indoor and outdoor speakers at the same time. I guess I could use the 2nd preamp out for the sub if I deisconnect the outdoor amp from the preamp. A bit of a PITA, although really not have to be done very often, but maybe a better idea than splitters?
  • muncybob
    Options
    So, with cables at 22-25' I know capacitance is something to consider. Not sure how to compare these 2 specs:
    Nominal Capacitance: 39 pF/meter @ 1kHz and 17 pF/ft
    The former is a SVS cable and the latter is a Beldin.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    @muncybob - both of those capacitance figure are LOW, which is great for long runs.

Generally, I think runs less than 50ft. are considered short cable runs. You should be ok. Just go with the Belden, imo, unless you want a tad more bling from the SVS.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • muncybob
    Options
    Just informed, sub delivery is delayed until 11/24....damn!

Really looking forward to how it plays with the SDAs and I want to also put the Vandersteens into the mix, as they are a little light in that area.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Ah, that bites. When I got mine, they were stuck out on a ship out at sea off of Galveston TX for an additional 4 days. This was way before the shipping delays of today. The anticipation, I remember well. What put me at ease was one of my favorite sayings...
    "Good things come to those who wait".
    Tom
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    patience is a virtue
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Martin Logan Grotto for $575 local to me. Decent price?
  • muncybob
    Options
    The sub came a day early, had some fun last night. I think I have some more tweaking to do, but it sounds pretty good to us. Even my wife who has very little interest in sound quality said the system sounds "clearer". I must admit, that was my 1st impression too and was not something I was expecting to hear.

Using Rythmik's suggested default settings for 2 channel, I thought the lower registers were overstated....too much bass but still not what I would call boomy. The crossover setting really makes a big difference. With the SDA 2Bs I find the crossover around 50hz sounds best so far, but like I said there, is more tweaking to be done.

The sub is a silver lining in what is to be bummer of a holiday for us as the Mrs. tested positive for Covid yesterday. No trip to my daughters for turkey :( More time to listen to music I guess.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Hope she's feeling okay.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • muncybob
    Options
    Her symptoms are not too bad, seems like a bad cold for the most part. Just enough to spoil your day. Dang house smells like Lysol though.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Her symptoms are not too bad, seems like a bad cold for the most part. Just enough to spoil your day. Dang house smells like Lysol though.

Just don’t ingest it umkay?

Hope she recovers quickly!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1