SDA-1C

Options
A blasphemous mix of Sonicaps for the High-Pass, Clarity PX for the Low-Pass, Mills Resistors, the last of @gimpod boards, Cardas Binding Posts, Erse Sub-Bass Inductors, and Canare 4S11 Interconnect with SpeakONs. All existing board level inductors were hand-tuned, as well as the Erse SuperQs

8nuco6njco2s.jpg
80brcv5m66bj.jpg
570rib61gg5g.jpg
lh1vsk8gf724.jpg
w20p1gksek5r.jpg
dx7kk7n01a31.jpg

Home Theater/2 Channel:
Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,187
    Options

Great work as always and someone will be lucky to receive these! Did you use the long or short Cardas binding post? I see you used the supplied fiberglass filled nylon (?) mounting block. Did you remove the bosses on the side that mounts to the XO cup? One jam nut or two per post? Was the stock internal wiring retained? Sorry. Lots of questions :smile:
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Great work as always and someone will be lucky to receive these! Did you use the long or short Cardas binding post? I see you used the supplied fiberglass filled nylon (?) mounting block. Did you remove the bosses on the side that mounts to the XO cup? One jam nut or two per post? Was the stock internal wiring retained? Sorry. Lots of questions :smile:

Thank You.
    Cardas CCGG Short
    Bosses were not removed. The holes were first drilled for the stem, then a shallow recess was made to accommodate the bosses.
    Supplied nylon washers and single nuts were used.
    Internal wiring is being re-used.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Hold out.... Wish I had a spare set of boards B)

very patriotic board :D
  • westmassguy
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Hold out.... Wish I had a spare set of boards B)

very patriotic board :D

Nope, these were purchased by my customer back in April Ivan. I still had a few pairs back then.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Just giving you some whatnot's Dave, I slept and missed out, it's my fault 100%.

• westmassguy
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Just giving you some whatnot's Dave, I slept and missed out, it's my fault 100%.

No worries Ivan
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • PolksTillIDie
    Options
    I'd like to gloat and say I'm the proud owner of the above upgrades. These speakers started out with a disconnected inductor, half of the midwoofers with frozen cones, and of course, the 30+ year old crossovers. Thanks to you guys, I've been slowly restoring these SDA-1Cs to well beyond their original glory. Thanks for everything David.
    Polk SDA-1Cs with RD0194-1 upgrade tweeters, SoniCaps, Clarity PX, Gimpod boards, Cardas BPs, Erse inductors, Canare 4S11 IC; Yamaha Aventage RX-A1080; Yamaha M-80; Yamaha C-80; Yamaha CD-S1000; Sony UBP-X800M2; Technics SL-1400 with Ortofon 2M Bronze PnP; Vincent Pho 701; PS Audio Dectet; AudioQuest Red River ICs; WAudio PCs; RapcoHorizon High Def High 413-Strand 10AWG Speaker Cable; Auralex Isolation Pads
  • PolksTillIDie
    Options
    Gardenstater, any idea where I can get a wiring harness upgrade for these bad boys?
    Polk SDA-1Cs with RD0194-1 upgrade tweeters, SoniCaps, Clarity PX, Gimpod boards, Cardas BPs, Erse inductors, Canare 4S11 IC; Yamaha Aventage RX-A1080; Yamaha M-80; Yamaha C-80; Yamaha CD-S1000; Sony UBP-X800M2; Technics SL-1400 with Ortofon 2M Bronze PnP; Vincent Pho 701; PS Audio Dectet; AudioQuest Red River ICs; WAudio PCs; RapcoHorizon High Def High 413-Strand 10AWG Speaker Cable; Auralex Isolation Pads
  • westmassguy
    Options
    I'd like to gloat and say I'm the proud owner of the above upgrades. These speakers started out with a disconnected inductor, half of the midwoofers with frozen cones, and of course, the 30+ year old crossovers. Thanks to you guys, I've been slowly restoring these SDA-1Cs to well beyond their original glory. Thanks for everything David.

You're welcome Robert
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Gardenstater, any idea where I can get a wiring harness upgrade for these bad boys?

you will need to make your own.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    @PolksTillIDie ,

Contact @VR3 who can build upgraded internal wiring for your 1Cs, as he did for mine when he upgraded the crossovers.

Great sound!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 525
    Options
    Those Cardas posts are an noticeably audible upgrade (from the stock Polk posts). Along with Dave's other "blasphemy" they are going to sound great. You can't beat that sort of attention to detail.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • westmassguy
    Options
    Jazzhead wrote: »
    Those Cardas posts are an noticeably audible upgrade (from the stock Polk posts). Along with Dave's other "blasphemy" they are going to sound great. You can't beat that sort of attention to detail.
    Thank You Sir
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • PolksTillIDie
    Options
    Moose68Bash thanks for the tip. After all the other upgrades seems like a shame not to do the wiring also. And while I can't speak to the improvement the Cardas BPs alone made as I had all the mods done at once, the overall effect has been fantastic. The SDA effect is greatly improved. I regularly hear new elements in music I've listened to for 50+ years.

Now that my Dynamat has finally shown up, its time to do the drivers and PRs. I've looked, but can't find any posts that have pics of putting the Dynmat on. Anyone have a suggestion?
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    @PolksTillIDie,

Here's a picture of the way I put Dynamat on the drivers a PRs when I mod'd my 1Cs.

cl8bkj7c4a4t.jpg

Hope this helps.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• PolksTillIDie
    Options
    OK. Yeah, got it.

Thanks for the help.