Sound disconnects when we change volume + press pause for a movie

Options
Hey Polk experts.

Me and my boyfriend live in Belgium and we bought our first ever surround sound system, being the Polk Magnifi MaxSR.

The quality and clarity of the soundbar and the 2 small speakers is great, but, we are facing some issues. English isn't my first language, so my apologies in advance if there are any errors in this explanation.

We got the surround system 2 days ago, and there was an open dent in the cardboard box when we got it - but inside, nothing seemed broken or damaged.

The issues we are facing :

1) When we are playing a movie from our DVD player and we use our tv's remote control to press 'pause', the sound is gone when we resume the movie when pressing 'play'. The only thing that gets the sound back (after 1000x trying) is turning the soundbar off and on again.

Same goes for turning sound up/down - both on the Polk controller, as on the soundbar itself - the sound stops (even though the soundbar is still on and worked perfectly before we asked to lower the volume).

2) When watching a movie on Netflix/Disney+ the play/pause issue isn't there, but the volume button also causes the soundbar to stop giving any sound.

This is what happens (for example on Netflix):

1) We're watching a movie, sound is ok, but it's getting too loud.
2) We take the polk remote to turn down volume
3) We hear the volume go down
4) We release the button on the remote control
5) 1 more second of sound, then ...radio silence.

The sound does not come back automatically, even after waiting for several minutes

6) We turn off the soundbar with the remote control
7) We turn it back on
7) Lights on the soundbar flicker ... sound is back

Does anyone have any idea how this is possible? The soundbar is connected through the HDMI port 'ARC' in the TV, as well as with the audio output cable. TV is from the brand 'Medion' ( a brand known to local store "Aldi" here in Belgium) and our DVD player is from Samsung if I'm not mistaken.

Please let us know if we can try anything. We have a MCU Marathon in a few weeks here and we would love to be able to enjoy our surround system ;-)

Thanks!
Noémi & Roeland

Answers