Help with 2.3tl inside left sp not working

Options
Hi all. I could use some help fixing my speakers. I bought this pair of SDA SRS 2.3tl speakers and am really excited about them. I noticed the right side dominates the sound stage. It seems the 4 speakers on the inside side of the left speaker are not working. I pulled each driver to be sure they were connected and they were. The SDA drivers are working.

I removed the passive radiator and found the caps on the crossover are loose and hanging. I pulled the crossover to look for any obvious issue and, other than the hanging caps, all I can see is green powder shown in the picture below.

Anyone have any idea why these aren’t working? 7bew0i9gh0jz.jpeg
gmxydwagy1aj.jpeg
9odzubqfug8j.jpeg
6amidriyp8o7.jpeg
6aoo6dn81c7o.jpeg
Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3 TL
Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
Carver M 1.0 MK2 Opt 2 x2
Carver CT Seven Preamp
Bluesound Node 2i

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    What a disaster!

The green parts are resistors. I suspect the powder means that resistor either got really hot or is fully cooked, but they are in the high frequency circuit.

Since you stated some or all of the caps are hanging off you likely have a broken solder joint or even a broken cap lead.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,040
    Options
    That poor circuit board! That's alot of weight just hanging around! Plus never install caps on resistors or smoother resistors.

Those resistors actually come that way, looks like mundorf mox, the little white powder substance that is.

If you plan to run that build, that way, you need to make a separate board to secure the caps to and then run the wires to the circuit board.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Since you pulled the crossovers out did you try switching them to see if the issue follows?
  • jbail2011
    jbail2011 Posts: 102
    Options
    monepolk wrote: »
    Since you pulled the crossovers out did you try switching them to see if the issue follows?

That’s a great suggestion! Thank you

F1nut wrote: »
    What a disaster!

The green parts are resistors. I suspect the powder means that resistor either got really hot or is fully cooked, but they are in the high frequency circuit.

Since you stated some or all of the caps are hanging off you likely have a broken solder joint or even a broken cap lead.

I always appreciate your feedback f1. I will go over the board the best I can. I’m on uncharted territory. I’ll need to learn how to do this.
    VR3 wrote: »
    That poor circuit board! That's alot of weight just hanging around! Plus never install caps on resistors or smoother resistors.

Those resistors actually come that way, looks like mundorf mox, the little white powder substance that is.

If you plan to run that build, that way, you need to make a separate board to secure the caps to and then run the wires to the circuit board.

Thank you vr3. Can I extend the wires for the caps to bundle them together off the board?
    Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
    Carver CT Seven Preamp
    Bluesound Node 2i
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    edited June 2021
    Options
    jbail2011 wrote: »

Thank you vr3. Can I extend the wires for the caps to bundle them together off the board?

yes you can. Twist together and solder
  • VR3
    Options
    Yes, you can add leads to the caps, keep it as short as possible but still with some slack built in.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    Options
    Also I would highly recommend changing the resistors to Duelund, Path Audio or the newer Mundorf series with the heat sinks, those CMR caps will drastically out perform a MOX resistor.
  • jbail2011
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Also I would highly recommend changing the resistors to Duelund, Path Audio or the newer Mundorf series with the heat sinks, those CMR caps will drastically out perform a MOX resistor.

Noted thank you!

pitdogg2 wrote: »

yes you can. Twist together and solder

Noted thank you!
    Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
    Carver CT Seven Preamp
    Bluesound Node 2i
  • jbail2011
    Options
    The right crossover is in much better shape. 2uqwk6mvkzem.jpeg

They have different resistors and the caps are stacked in a different order… 🤔
    Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
    Carver CT Seven Preamp
    Bluesound Node 2i
  • F1nut
    Options
    Those caps are way too big for the board. Should have never been done.

You need to use the same resistors in both crossovers and that inductor should not be hanging off the edge. Somebody needs to turn in their soldering iron.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jbail2011
    Options
    Those caps are way too big for the board. Should have never been done.

You need to use the same resistors in both crossovers and that inductor should not be hanging off the edge. Somebody needs to turn in their soldering iron.

I’m at a loss as to what to do. How do I accommodate these caps? Is there a better board I can use to rebuild?
    Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
    Carver CT Seven Preamp
    Bluesound Node 2i
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    I would dump anything electrical that is made in Britain, but that's just me.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    Options
    The cmr caps are amazing, but they need a good point to point network versus Stacked like a mountain on a circuit board
  • jbail2011
    Options
    I think I found the problem. I found this when I was touching up the solder. pkd8myed6myi.jpeg
    Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
    Carver CT Seven Preamp
    Bluesound Node 2i
  • jbail2011
    Options

I have a triumph spitfire. I am aware 😂
    Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
    Carver CT Seven Preamp
    Bluesound Node 2i
  • F1nut
    Options
    I think I found the problem. I found this when I was touching up the solder. pkd8myed6myi.jpeg

That is definitely a problem. Whomever did those crossovers should hang their head in shame.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options

Clarity makes excellent products.

President of Club Polk

• jbail2011
    Options
    This fixed the problem and the speakers sound great! Now I need to match the resistors but more importantly fix the capacitor situation. Can someone please tell me specifically what I need to do? Is there a certain board I need to buy? Is there a way to bundle with zip ties and extensions? What’s the best practice here?
    Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
    Carver CT Seven Preamp
    Bluesound Node 2i
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    I would just match what was done with the right crossover only secure them big caps with zip ties. You can drill holes in the board as long as you don't damage any traces. Also most here like to install the resistors on the back side of the board if possible to keep their heat away from the caps.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • cincycat13
    cincycat13 Posts: 882
    Options
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/118701/gimpod-sda-boards-for-2-3

i do not think gimpod boards are still available. you may search and see if you can find a pair.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    cincycat13 wrote: »

i do not think gimpod boards are still available. you may search and see if you can find a pair.

I agree...someone may have stashed a pair
    Open a:
    WTB-Gimpod Boards

Good luck
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • jbail2011
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Open a:
    WTB-Gimpod Boards

Good luck

These are gimpod boards.
    Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
    Carver CT Seven Preamp
    Bluesound Node 2i
  • pitdogg2
    Options

Open a:
    WTB-Gimpod Boards

Good luck

These are gimpod boards.

Agree they are, the MASSIVE 400V caps make it look tiny....

Do they make the CMR's in 200v ? I personally have not seen any but I must admit I have not put effort into finding them.
  • joebass3
    joebass3 Posts: 252
    Options

Open a:
    WTB-Gimpod Boards

Good luck

These are gimpod boards.

Do they make the CMR's in 200v ? I personally have not seen any but I must admit I have not put effort into finding them.

ClarityCap makes the CSA line which are 250V. Good capacitors that are sized more appropriately.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    joebass3 wrote: »

Open a:
    WTB-Gimpod Boards

Good luck

These are gimpod boards.

ClarityCap makes the CSA line which are 250V. Good capacitors that are sized more appropriately.

Yes I'm familiar with the lower line caps.
  • jbail2011
    Options

Open a:
    WTB-Gimpod Boards

Good luck

These are gimpod boards.

What am I supposed to do with these caps to straighten this out?
    Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
    Carver CT Seven Preamp
    Bluesound Node 2i
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    You have some of the best caps on the market, I'd find a way to extend the leads, zip tie to a board if that's what it takes. Where do you live?
  • F1nut
    Options

You can do as Ivan suggests or build point to point crossovers. Here's a few pics to give you an idea.
    sq5umj2o6krb.jpg
    elb2495smygx.jpg

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Or you can create a stack board on top of Gimpod's board like Trey has done for some of his projects
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • jbail2011
    Options
    You have some of the best caps on the market, I'd find a way to extend the leads, zip tie to a board if that's what it takes. Where do you live?

I’m in Charlotte, NC

You can do as Ivan suggests or build point to point crossovers. Here's a few pics to give you an idea.

Thank you very much for the pics. Great idea!
    Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
    Carver CT Seven Preamp
    Bluesound Node 2i