What CD Player Should I buy?

Options
I love my cd's however I have been dependent on my streamer. It's so convenient and allows me access to my massive digital library which I love! I would like to add a CD player to my rig. I would love your recommendations. There are so many considerations to make regarding every step I take with this stereo. Things get confusing quick. I see that some use a carrier. I will want a DAC in the unit i use. I don't believe I need SACD as I am only 2 channel unless there's something I don't know- which is likely. I am not using my set up for av. 2 channel music only.

I am considering the Rotel RCD1072- $500 there are a few on Ebay
Marantz looks like a winner CD6007- New 599 on amazon

I am unsure and would like your recommendations to make a final decision. Thank you for your feedback!
Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3 TL
Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
Carver M 1.0 MK2 Opt 2 x2
Carver CT Seven Preamp
Bluesound Node 2i

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    If you own SACDs and want to play them, you will need an SACD player.

I would also throw Cambridge in the mix.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    although some SACD do have multi-channel layers I still listen to mine in 2ch. Throwing a DAC in there as well will narrow down the field considerably.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    Add the Rotel CD11 Tribute to your list at $599. Voiced by Ken Ishiwata of Marantz fame, but Rotel has always made good CD players.

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ROCD11&variation=SIL
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I don't believe I need SACD as I am only 2 channel unless there's something I don't know- which is likely.

SACD excells in 2 channel. In fact, it was originally intended to be a 2 channel only format.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jbail2011
    jbail2011 Posts: 102
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I don't believe I need SACD as I am only 2 channel unless there's something I don't know- which is likely.

SACD excells in 2 channel. In fact, it was originally intended to be a 2 channel only format.
    Is there a player would recommend?
    Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
    Carver CT Seven Preamp
    Bluesound Node 2i
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    If built in fact is a requirement then search some of the marantz players. I believe there are a few
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,513
    Options
    +1 for Marantz. There are many fans on this site for their SACD players. I am not aware of any that would not be recommended, but if that’s the case, someone here will likely inform you.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    If built in DAC is a requirement then search some of the marantz players. I believe there are a few

Fixed it
  • F1nut
    Options
    jbail2011 wrote: »

Is there a player would recommend?

Marantz

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options
    The Rotel RCD 1072 is a solid player, but that price seems a tad high to me (but I could be wrong).
    I currently have a Marantz SA 8005 and it is great for CD, SACD, and streaming.

I have no trouble recommending either unit, kind of depends on what you’re looking for.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Do you currently have a SACD collection?
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,076
    Options
    Marantz SA8005 here and very satisfied! After reading Clipdat's satisfaction with the SA8004 in post on here, I purchased one.

I purchased it late February 2021 from user RWetmore at:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/marantz-sa8005-sacd-cd-player.3166126/#post-60054899.

He had two; one at his home residence and one at his beach house. $600 shipped and PayPal. Beyond excellent double-box packing! Like new condition. Second unit still listed.

If you pick a Marantz CD6007, I saw a new one online yesterday at Echo Audio (authorized dealer) in Portland Oregon.

eaqphkzpk5gy.png

Good luck!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • F1nut
    Options
    Wow, that Allword user there is a real arse.

President of Club Polk

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    edited June 2021
    Options
    No experience with Cary but usually in the mix in other threads. Clicked on the "Used Gear" link in an email I received from Upscale Audio. Not sure what kind of warranty or assurances they have/give but would think demo and show pieces have the OM warranty. For the price I'd consider the show unit if research shows it to have favorable reviews. Great used markdown based on the $4K MSRP.
    https://upscaleaudio.com/collections/new-used-specials?_ke=eyJrbF9jb21wYW55X2lkIjogIk1TSEFFRyIsICJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJzZW5kbWVtb3JlYnNAZ21haWwuY29tIn0=
    vz92raliefb5.png
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • jbail2011
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »

None actually. At least I think none. I honestly wasn’t aware SACD was a thing until now.
    Post edited by jbail2011 on
    Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
    Carver CT Seven Preamp
    Bluesound Node 2i
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    edited June 2021
    Options
    jbail2011 wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »

None actually. At least I think none. I honestly wasn’t aware SACD was a thing until now.

Okay well that narrows it down! I owned the never generation of this one, it was excellent and I don’t see major differences between the 840 and 841. Best part is it’s also a really nice DAC with multiple inputs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402904789840?hash=item5dceff3350:g:k9cAAOSwqJxgvYn6

If money’s real tight you might look at this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265186806743?hash=item3dbe5d8bd7:g:dRQAAOSwkFBgu5Un
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • jbail2011
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Add the Rotel CD11 Tribute to your list at $599. Voiced by Ken Ishiwata of Marantz fame, but Rotel has always made good CD players.

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ROCD11&variation=SIL

I think this is the one! Thank you all
    Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
    Carver CT Seven Preamp
    Bluesound Node 2i
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,338
    Options
    Even the entry level Marantz SA5004 sounds good. I imagine it only gets better as you go up the line.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • odcics2
    odcics2 Posts: 309
    Options
    Rega Planet II.

Great sound, dependable operation.

No issues since I bought new.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    JayCee wrote: »
    No experience with Cary but usually in the mix in other threads. Clicked on the "Used Gear" link in an email I received from Upscale Audio. Not sure what kind of warranty or assurances they have/give but would think demo and show pieces have the OM warranty. For the price I'd consider the show unit if research shows it to have favorable reviews. Great used markdown based on the $4K MSRP.
    https://upscaleaudio.com/collections/new-used-specials?_ke=eyJrbF9jb21wYW55X2lkIjogIk1TSEFFRyIsICJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJzZW5kbWVtb3JlYnNAZ21haWwuY29tIn0=
    vz92raliefb5.png

I bought one of these that was advertised as unopened, however, it had clearly been opened (it was wrapped in a two-piece box taped together, then inside of that was a Cary Audio CD 303/300 box, then inside of that a DVD-7 box). The remote was missing and there were some water spots on the front LCD display. I called Upscale and they gave me a no hassle refund, but that was a very disheartening experience as I thought I was going to get my first taste of Cary Audio at a great discount (keep in mind how old these units are, ca. 2009, I think, but do your own research to be sure).

I previously had purchased a NOS PrimaLuna Prologue Five tube amp some time ago, as well as, NIB clearance KEF Q300 (I still have both and they were as advertised). So these were good experiences with Upscale Audio.

I just was so shocked when I received the DVD-7 based on my prior good experiences. I will consider Upscale on future purchases since they issued my refund, but my confidence in the website advertising is a little wounded; ($700 is a lot for me).

As has been to my chagrin with disc spinners as of the past couple of years, the transport mechanism of the DVD-7 was INSANELY (italics) mechanically loud; louder than my cheapo Denon DVD-1940ci, which is far from mechanically quiet. It made me wonder if the unit was refurbished; it was so loud that I could hear the mechanical noise above music at normal-to-loud listening levels.

This was my first-hand experience; YMMV.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options

It was intended to replace the CD and failed. It has always been a multichannel format. I went to Sony Training on SACD in 1999 or 2000, I'm getting old so I forget the actual date it was. But they never talked about it being a 2 channel only format or starting out that way, they talked about it was designed to be a 6 channel high resolution audio format that they wanted it to replace the CD format.

It's a shame it never happened. Now Apple released Atmos Audio which so far is pretty damn good especially for a streaming service. Have you checked it out?

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Foggy memory there Dan. The first series of Sony SACD releases were 2 channel only.

From 2002,
    When Sony first started the SACD format it was decided to target the "audiophile" segement of the market. It was marketed as a high resolution 2 channel format knowing that the audiophiles would be the most willing to upgrade to the new format. All of the early Sony titles were only 2 channel and the multi channel are fairly recent. Because of the origins of the SACD the 2 channel SACD mix will always be a part of the Sony discs.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Here's proof, one of many Sony 2 channel only SACD discs I own, this one released in 2000. Not even a Redbook layer.
    28gng33cfuac.jpg

President of Club Polk