Polk Audio LSIM 707

Options
Landia
Landia Posts: 5
Hello, I am looking for an amplifier to power a pair of the LSIM 707 speakers. I was looking at this amplifier and would like to know if this amp is a good fit to maximize the power of the LSIM 707 speakers:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XLI3500--crown-xli-3500-power-amplifier

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,555
    Options
    Pass ! Not many fans here for PA amps in a home audio use. you can get a good used 2 channel amp for that kind of money.
  • Landia
    Options
    With a power rating of:

Watts/Side @ 8 ohms: 1,000W (Continuous)
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    edited May 2021
    Options
    The Crown amps are designated as public address systems amps for a reason. They're good for pumping out lots of volume for speaker systems that are designed to fill large venues where sound fidelity isn't the primary concern. They're not designed for use as high quality/low background noise amps but do suit their purpose well.

Even if someone does use a Crown amp for home audio the 3500 model is overkill for power output. The 1500 would be more than enough for the LSiM 707s.

They do work of course, but are a waste of money for use in the home in my opinion.
  • Landia
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    The Crown amps are designated as public address systems amps for a reason. They're good for pumping out lots of volume for speaker systems that are designed to fill large venues. They're not designed for as high quality/low background noise amps.

Even if someone does use a Crown amp for home audio the 3500 model is overkill for power output. The 1500 would be more than enough for the LSiM 707s.

They do work of course, but are a waste of money for use in the home in my opinion.

Do you have recommendation for "Home Audio" amplifiers for the 707s? Thanks!
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Landia wrote: »
    With a power rating of:

Watts/Side @ 8 ohms: 1,000W (Continuous)

Personally I'd rather have a lower wattage amp with enough high current to drop an elephant. It's not all about the watts, you need good high current to deliver them. You can still have tons of watts and just enough current to deliver them.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    Options
    All watts are not created equal.

Pick out a few home audio amps in your budget and we'll be happy to offer our opinions.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Landia
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Below are the amps I am looking at:

-Peachtree audio 220
    -ROTEL RB-1572
    -Emotiva XPA-2
    -Adcom GFA-5800
    -Adcom GFA-555se
    -ADCOM GFA-5500

Is there much of a difference between Class A/B amps and Class D amps? Thanks!

• F1nut
    Options
    My 2 cents.....
    -Peachtree audio 220 - no personal experience, gets good reviews.
    -ROTEL RB-1572 - not a fan of the Rotel house sound.
    -Emotiva XPA-2 - no.
    The next 3 are a bit long in the tooth, so unless serviced expect them to need some work done such as a recap.
    -Adcom GFA-5800
    -Adcom GFA-555se
    -ADCOM GFA-5500

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options

-Peachtree audio 220
    -ROTEL RB-1572
    -Emotiva XPA-2
    -Adcom GFA-5800
    -Adcom GFA-555se
    -ADCOM GFA-5500

What’s the budget?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Landia
    Options
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    What about a used b&k amp or parasound? You should be able to find one that fits your budget. What are you using as a pre and source?
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    Here's a pass labs for an extra $200, you might be able to talk him down a little.
    https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisaac7c-pass-labs-x150-8-tube
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • F1nut
    Options
    Great suggestion, but 5/10 condition and local pick up only.

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    The guy doesn't even know if it works Marvin. I mean they are REALLY nice amps but I'd be leary as hell of a seller that doesn't even know how to hook up a pair of kraco car stereo speakers and a Goodwill AVR to test if it even works. Could be an awesome deal or an expensive boat anchor.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • marvda1
    edited May 2021
    Options
    sorry, my mistake, didn't drill into the ad. this one i did read. make an offer.
    https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisaa763-legacy-audio-ultra-high-current-amp-coda-ls96-ls200-pass-solid-state
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Emlyn
    Options
    I would take a look at the Parasound A23+. I have run an A23 model on the biggest Polk towers for the last few generations and been pleased with the results. The plus model has a little more power than the previous version. Should make better than 200 watts per channel into the 707s.

May be able to find used or demo models for a discount.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Options
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • rooftop59
    Options

-Peachtree audio 220
    -ROTEL RB-1572
    -Emotiva XPA-2
    -Adcom GFA-5800
    -Adcom GFA-555se
    -ADCOM GFA-5500

I like peachtree’s little all in one solutions for the right need, but when I tried a nova220SE, I was disappointed in comparison with my cambridge Azur 851a (an excellent option if you need an integrated). The peachtree sounded a bit sound to my ears, and the DAC was definitely not superior to my stand alone DAC. But I did not test it as just an amp fwiw...

If you can find a musical fidelity amp for under a grand, I love mine...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Emlyn
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Solid. The new 2250s are backordered until July. Either a lot of people buying them up or supply chain issues there too.
  • marvda1
    Options
    Puritan PSM156
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    sorry, my mistake, didn't drill into the ad. this one i did read. make an offer.
    https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisaa763-legacy-audio-ultra-high-current-amp-coda-ls96-ls200-pass-solid-state

Those were pretty solid amps.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,337
    Options
    My Parasound HCA-1000A (with some mods) pushes the LSi15 pretty well. A HCA-1200ii or bigger Parasound should do even better. I believe the LSi15 is a harder load than the LSiM707.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601