ChrisD wrote: »
    I've already got an SRS 2! :wink:

Did you do any upgrades to the srs2's?
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    I've already got an SRS 2! :wink:

Then why are you thinking of the L800's????

I kid of course :D

• ChrisD
    ChrisD Posts: 101
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Did you do any upgrades to the srs2's?
    No - not aside from new tweeters and a couple replacement woofers.

They'll be powered by a Kenwood M2A that's on its way to DRM Audio for servicing.

I haven't really been able to listen to these since living in my apartment, so about 8 years of them just sitting.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,129
    Options
    I understand I may be getting too big a speaker for the room, but I really like SDA and would not be getting that with the L600s.
    Buy from somewhere with a 60-90 policy and don't buy until you are ready to set them up.
    They might work in your room, but the design of those and general room principles indicate that a smaller design will likely sound better in that room.

Save some money for bass traps of some kind too. Rooms near that size (including my own) often have issues with bass build ups and nulls.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I understand I may be getting too big a speaker for the room, but I really like SDA and would not be getting that with the L600s.
    You only live once and if you have the means, then go full steam ahead!

Your room is a nice size, its just that the L800 can deliver the goods and can play in big rooms just fine. The flip is that they have to be positioned closer to each other than normal and you have to site a little closer as well. Even if one had a large space, this would not change too much..

I only got my ears on them once at a very noisy release event in an open section of the store. They really put out some sound. You'll be in for some fun with those!
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2540853#Comment_2540853
    31safpk9aoac.jpg
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Chris,
    There is a very nice Legacy Audio amp for sale here that's only 5 posts away from you.
    As for the SRS 2's, they would sound much better fully modded.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    SRS 2 are they blade/blade or pin/blade?
  • ChrisD
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Chris,
    There is a very nice Legacy Audio amp for sale here that's only 5 posts away from you.
    I know but I don't really have any soldering experience.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    SRS 2 are they blade/blade or pin/blade?
    Blade/blade :smile:
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Nice but there's only so much you can do with those.
    Go forward
  • audioluvr
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Chris,
    I know but I don't really have any soldering experience.

It's not like you're building an atomic bomb. A good soldering iron makes it pretty easy. If you can pull scotch tape from a dispenser and tape two pieces of paper together without getting it stuck in your hair you'll probably be fine.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Chris,
    There is a very nice Liberty Audio amp for sale here that's only 5 posts away from you.

Corrected. My bad. Sorry Johnny
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• ChrisD
    Options
    I got a response from Polk CS that I forgot to post:
    Polk CS wrote:
    Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Polk Audio. Unfortunately, we do not have a list of amplifier and receivers that is common ground and has enough power to work well with the L800 speakers.

The Parasound Halo Hint 6 and the A21+ amplifiers would work fine to power the L800 speakers. I would recommend the A21+ over the Hint 6. THe higher power rating will be better to get the most out of the L800 speakers.

The Yamaha A-S2200 amplifier uses balanced outputs, and would not work well with the L800 speakers. It can be used with them; however the when half of the signal is on the negative terminals as it is with a balance output amplifier, the dimensional array will be 6dB quieter than normal. It should not harm the amplifier or speakers, but you will not be getting the full SDA experience.

Tom Carter
    Customer Service Technician

11500 Cronridge Dr
    Suite 110
    Owings Mills, MD 21117
    www.soundunited.com
    Just wanting to share everything I got to anyone who may be in the same situation as me.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    Makes sense. Yamaha describes the A-S2200 as being "fully balanced from input to output." Probably why it costs $3,999 for 90 watts per channel. Very nice integrated.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/a-s2200/index.html#product-tabs
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options
    I wonder why polk didn't design the L800's to be used with an isolation transformer. The last two generations of the old sda's worked with differencially balanced amplifiers with an isolation transformer.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    I wonder why polk didn't design the L800's to be used with an isolation transformer. The last two generations of the old sda's worked with differencially balanced amplifiers with an isolation transformer.

The way SDA is implemented in the L800 prevents the use of an isolation transformer, but it does allow for the use of non-ground ground amps without one.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    invalid wrote: »

The way SDA is implemented in the L800 prevents the use of an isolation transformer, but it does allow for the use of non-common ground amps without one.

fixed it.

• F1nut
    Options
    What can I say, I'm grounded.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ChrisD
    Options
    Hey folks. My house is finished and I'll be trying to move in this weekend.

I've got Polk L800s on the way and decided on the Hint 6 amplifier.

I'll let you all know how it turns out.
  • papatom
    papatom Posts: 137
    Options
    Hey folks. My house is finished and I'll be trying to move in this weekend.

I've got Polk L800s on the way and decided on the Hint 6 amplifier.

I'll let you all know how it turns out.

I own the Hint 6 and use it in my home theater with B&W speakers. You’ll be blown away with the quality of it. Congrats on the purchase!

Yeah I need to update my signature.
    Marantz SR5011 / Polk Audio Signature S55 towers / Polk Audio Signature S35 Center/ Polk Audio Signature S15 surrounds / Velodyne DPS-10 / Samsung 60" KS8000 / Samsung UBD-K8500
  • ChrisD
    Options
    Moved in - pretty happy.

I need to get some room treatments done, I think. My L800s sounds really .. in your face for lack of a better word? Also it sounds like there's a lot of sound behind me versus in front of me!

It's a very small room for the speakers, but I love them :). sm4rh4fdrnsi.jpg
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options
    Moved in - pretty happy.

I need to get some room treatments done, I think. My L800s sounds really .. in your face for lack of a better word? Also it sounds like there's a lot of sound behind me versus in front of me!

It's a very small room for the speakers, but I love them :). sm4rh4fdrnsi.jpg

You need a bigger room, I don't know that the L800's were intended for near field listening.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    Yea that room is way way too small for those behemoths. Hey if you like the sound, that’s all that matters though. Here’s to hoping you are able to snag a larger listening room at some point
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • paulgyro
    paulgyro Posts: 2
    Options
    HI all! I'm considering buying a set of L800 as my end game speaker. I'm currently running VTV AMPLIFIER Stereo Hypex NC252MP NCore Amplifier, anyone know if the Hypex modules based Class D amps work right with the SDA tech? It has XLR inputs that I have to use RCA to XLR adapters for. Also, does it matter accept for SDA? Anyone not use the SDA?
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    Options
    Question - why didn’t you go the long way instead of the short way? Position the speakers beside the window?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Question - why didn’t you go the long way instead of the short way? Position the speakers beside the window?

Contrary to opinion, the L800 actually love being on the long wall, provided they have walls to either side. Mine are 42 inches from side walls with 7 feet between them and 10 feet to the listening position.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    I agree as well. In Dallas one side of the room opened into a kitchen. I thought that whole weekend that side lost something.
  • F1nut
    Options
    SDA speakers have always worked best on the long wall.

President of Club Polk

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    Options
    Interesting...
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • F1nut
    Options
    Interesting...

The minimum wall distance for proper set up is 15 feet.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Interesting...

The minimum wall distance for proper set up is 15 feet.

I would say closer to 18 feet….
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson