WTB B&K PT 5 or Ref 5

geppy1
geppy1 Posts: 3,071
I need to do some comparing so once again I am need of a B&K PT 5 or Ref 5., I think I would prefer the PT 5 Thanks
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited February 2021
    I have a few B&K preamps laying around but I think they are REF30's and one REF31 upgraded. I'll have to check.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    6o94lwn83kcw.jpeg
    g0tmqte853qu.jpeg
    987qsi1fm1ej.jpeg
    wkdbc24m0bcu.jpeg
    1egkfjc44dma.jpeg
    27297v052wbn.jpeg
    Dan
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Nice collection Dan.
    What did the upgrade do for the Ref 30?
    I disabled signatures.
  • mantis
    edited February 2021
    Thanks ,
    God I don't remember it's been so long. I have the new Ref 31 manual so I could read though it but I remember it was a hardware and software upgrade. I think like DTS and a new chip set.
    Dan
  • msg
    Ah, interesting.
    I thought I remembered reading somewhere that they were upgradeable, as a feature benefit, but none of mine are anything but stock, possibly firmware.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mantis
    You have to send them back to B&K and they re worked the entire unit. They went over all aspects of the unit and then performed the upgrade. It was a pretty good deal as it was a few hundred dollars to perform and usually took a week or 2 at most.
    Dan
  • msg
    Pretty cool.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mantis
    I hooked up the Ref31 today to make sure it still works. It works wonderfully. Sounds great clear and the volume knob on the front is so damn smooth. GOD I miss B&k, what incredibly good gear. I wish they would come back I would be first in line to get all new B&K gear. It was my very favorite back in the day.
    Unless you really need it , I'm all cool with hanging on to it. It's so wonderful.
    Dan
  • geppy1
    Nice I have a 50 right now and a 4420 comparing to my Rouge Cronus Magnum and to do be honest not sure what to do.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited February 2021
    I had a Ref 20 I wish I had kept. Reason I let it go was because I could not stream to it. At the time the only thing I could do was spin discs from the Denon 2910 to it. Now that I have a IFI Blue Zen, Marantz ud7007 and a turntable with IFI phono, I wish I had kept it. Would love to compare it to the Anthem Pre 2L tube pre amp now.

Does anything in this obsession ever work out??????

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Check with this guy. He sells so much stuff here, he may still have this one in his back room and just not know it. :)

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/192042/nice-b-k-pt-5-tuner-preamp-with-remote#latest

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    CH46E wrote: »
    teekay0007 wrote: »
    Check with this guy. He sells so much stuff here, he may still have this one in his back room and just not know it. :)

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/192042/nice-b-k-pt-5-tuner-preamp-with-remote#latest

You do realize that's the same person posting the WTB right??? 🤣🤣😅

Um pretty sure that was the point...geppy just sold one like 6 months ago!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • geppy1
    Yes and now I am looking for one or the other The 50 is a bit much
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    geppy1 wrote: »
    Yes and now I am looking for one or the other The 50 is a bit much

I'll keep an eye out for you for a 30 or 50 on the cheap.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    Is $250 a good deal for a Ref 50? One local to me. I'm not interested in it but if you are we might make something work.
  • mantis
    CH46E wrote: »
    Is $250 a good deal for a Ref 50? One local to me. I'm not interested in it but if you are we might make something work.

If it's in good condition comes with manual and possibly the remote then it's totally worth that price.
    I think what many people might miss here on these Reference Theater Preamps is they are built to the exact same high quality as the 2 channel models. They are hand built and top notch. Think about getting a superior high quality used preamp for $250 that sounds as good as just about anything on the market up to a price point.
    Dan
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I may still have the remote from my Ref 50 somewhere.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • geppy1
    Still looking for a PT or Ref 5 I think this might be in the wrong forum
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    geppy1 wrote: »
    Still looking for a PT or Ref 5 I think this might be in the wrong forum

@KennethSwauger
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mantis
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I may still have the remote from my Ref 50 somewhere.
    I got mine
    Dan