Dynaudio 72s vs. SVS Prime Towers

Options
chefsoy
chefsoy Posts: 22
edited January 2021 in 2 Channel Audio
Hi all, i have a question here that i hope to get some help on - i am considering buying a set of Dynaudio 72s that were purchased 11/2008 - single owner, lightly used. I am also considering a brand new pair of SVS Prime towers. The pair of 72s are $775 - the new pair of SVS towers are 400/each.

My questions are mainly - how long is the life expectancy on a set of something like the 72s? I haven't been around long enough to know this from experience. Do I gain enough value and longevity on the 72s to spend the same amount as a pair of new speakers?

I did plan on getting an SVS sub as I was hoping to stay around $500 for a sub that can play music at really low tunings - like F1 low.

Appreciate any tips or information, if there is anything else I can mention that might help feel free to let me know
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    I did plan on getting an SVS sub as I was hoping to stay around $500 for a sub that can play music at really low tunings - like F1 low.

Funniest thing I've read all day.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• chefsoy
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

thanks for the sarcasm bud! there are bands like conan that play in drop F or essentially an octave below standard bass tuning
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Are you talking about Dynaudio Audience 72?
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    Options
    Just my opinion but I'd go with the Dynaudios all day long. I'm biased though as I have two pair myself.
  • dromunds
    Options
    If those are Dynaudio Audience 72's, then in my opinion $775 is WAY too much to pay for them. I bought a pair several years ago - then sold them on the forum and they ended up circulating around and if you do some research here you'll see they were not easy to sell even at very reduced price. I put them up against LSI-15's and by all accounts the 15's smoked them for music. I took them to a friend's who has LS-50's and they also bested the 72's for music. They were outright b*tch slapped by the Polk L200's as well as the LSiM-703's. Dynaudio makes some really nice speakers, but these are entry level and not equivalent to better Dyn's.
  • chefsoy
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    If those are Dynaudio Audience 72's, then in my opinion $775 is WAY too much to pay for them. I bought a pair several years ago - then sold them on the forum and they ended up circulating around and if you do some research here you'll see they were not easy to sell even at very reduced price. I put them up against LSI-15's and by all accounts the 15's smoked them for music. I took them to a friend's who has LS-50's and they also bested the 72's for music. They were outright b*tch slapped by the Polk L200's as well as the LSiM-703's. Dynaudio makes some really nice speakers, but these are entry level and not equivalent to better Dyn's.

Would you say the SVS Prime tower speakers are a better buy? They are essentially the same - two used 72s versus 2 new SVS primes. I wouldn't have much of an intention to sell them, but buying new Polk LSI would probably run me over 1k - and I was hoping to stay under 1k here
  • chefsoy
    Options

Hmm. I just found a pair of LSi15 for $750 on a local marketplace. I wonder if I should pick those up instead?
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    That's way too much $ for Lsi15s. $400 or less is what they should sell for.
  • dromunds
    Options
    I’ve never heard SVS towers. But there are lots of used speakers - some very good Polks included - in the price range you are considering, and also for much less. I’d get my learn on and be patient.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    That's way too much $ for Lsi15s. $400 or less is what they should sell for.

Hmm...I'm not sure that's a universal truth. I mean isn't it a matter of supply and demand to some extent? I do agree that I probably wouldn't pay $750 for em, but LSi9s tend to go for anywhere from $300-500.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • chefsoy
    Options
    Well, maybe I need to rethink my agenda here. I was hoping to find some gently used tower speakers - thought the Dynaudio 72s for 775 was a good bargain but someone else told me that was "WAY" too much for the pair. I have a relatively small room, too, so wondering if I need to shelve the towers and instead buy some bookshelf. So many options, it's tough! Especially when you're starting out from a technical standpoint
  • chefsoy
    Options
    I’ve never heard SVS towers. But there are lots of used speakers - some very good Polks included - in the price range you are considering, and also for much less. I’d get my learn on and be patient.

I totally agree - only thing is, my current set up has my left tower making really ugly noises, so it's time to toss her out. I am trying to navigate the line between "i need something now" (it's been at least 4 months since I've needed a new speaker) and "dont blow your money on the first thing you see, you don't know anything" :/
  • dromunds
    Options
    Where are you located?
  • chefsoy
    Options
    Where are you located?

Southern California. I had my heart "set" on a pair of SVS Prime Towers - about 500/ea - and a SB subwoofer to keep me around 1500-1700 OTD. but, the bargain hunter in me started to creep up - which drew out the nerd in me - which drew out the 'informed customer' approach. but it's all a bit overwhelming as i like to really do my research on things before i buy them
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    Imagine the SVS Prime towrers would sound pretty good. I love their cylinder subs and if they dove off into speakers you should be good to go. Good luck and I think they have a decent return policy in the event you just don't dig em!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options

I always knew you were low. Low down & dirty SOB.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    Options
    Chef, you understand the joke was because of F1's name, right? It wasn't a dig, dude.
    chefsoy wrote: »

thanks for the sarcasm bud! there are bands like conan that play in drop F or essentially an octave below standard bass tuning
    I disabled signatures.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Chef, you understand the joke was because of F1's name, right? It wasn't a dig, dude.

Chef? How dare you, sir. I can barely cook a pizza.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • chefsoy
    Options
    No, i did not get the joke, so joke is now on me, please have a laugh at my expense. LOL. I feel dumb XD
    msg wrote: »

No, i did not get the joke, so joke is now on me, please have a laugh at my expense. LOL. I feel dumb XD
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    Options
    Annnnd welcome to CP!
    You'll fit in great since you can have a laugh at yourself :DB)
    I disabled signatures.
  • chefsoy
    Options
    Lol thank you. I have a lot to learn but figure I can learn a lot from people/forums like these
  • chefsoy
    Options
    I think I am just going to pull the trigger on some SVS Prime Towers. Keep a warranty on them and buy something new. I have a Sony STRH 550 - not some million dollar receiver, so hopefully the two pair well enough, I'm not trying to totally revamp my sound space just yet lol
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,649
    Options
    Far from a million $$ receiver, below $300 new. At 17#'s, not much for a power supply. Regardless of what speakers you go with, be VERY careful with the volume knob or you'll be toasting tweeters in no time. JMHO
  • chefsoy
    Options
    Well, maybe i put the money for a subwoofer towards a new receiver then - i like my music really loud, so that is definitely of concern to me. do you recommend a particular receiver? i dont watch movies or anything, i just listen to my records
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 328
    Options
    If I can ask, besides that receiver what else do you have now?
  • chefsoy
    Options
    a pair of tower speakers from the 70s - lol - and a basic audio-technica $100 record player. scrub stuff
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 328
    Options
    So starting over with a $2000-$2500 budget. 2 channel.
  • chefsoy
    Options
    stevep wrote: »
    So starting over with a $2000-$2500 budget. 2 channel.

sorry i don't follow, are you saying an entry-level 'redo' on the set up would be around 2-2.5K?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Well, maybe i put the money for a subwoofer towards a new receiver then - i like my music really loud, so that is definitely of concern to me. do you recommend a particular receiver? i dont watch movies or anything, i just listen to my records

My 2 cents.

Buy speakers from a speaker company, not a subwoofer company. Big difference.

Forget about receivers, look at integrated amplifiers or separates. Big difference.

Loud doesn't mean squat if it sounds bad.
    are you saying an entry-level 'redo' on the set up would be around 2-2.5K?

Easily.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options
    I would recommend an integrated also. Here's an example of what you can probably find. I bought this about a year ago and love it. Gonna give you better sound than most receivers. https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/190328/cambridge-azur-740a-integrated-amp

For speakers, I'd recommend a pair of Usher 6311. This is obviously my opinion, but I feel as though they are very hard to beat for the money. The problem is actually finding a pair.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden