Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    Never knew about this.
    I liked the first Dune movie.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited September 2020
    Yeah, me neither, and me too. There was another version that came out on the sci-fi channel at some point, but it was really cheesy and I only caught bits of it.

The first one had some disturbing scenes, but overall epic, I thought.
    I disabled signatures.
  • I’ve been following this MOST CLOSELY!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,908
    Looking forward to it, hopefully a good movie.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Wowowowow. Was clueless they were making this.
    Big fan of the first one (extended version) and not only does this new one have an all star cast, but Denis V. Directing!?! Can’t wait.

Thank You for sharing.
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    I hear it's gonna be 2 movies for the whole story.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Did not know about this, very interesting. I saw the first one in the theater and many times since on cable and each time it gets better. If I remember correctly I saw an extended director's cut one time that I really liked as well. Looks like this new one borrows from David Lynch's style somewhat but so what? Keep us updated.....
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Never knew about this.
    I liked the first Dune movie.
    I am failing as a father-my kids have never seen it.
    Anyone know which service streams it for free???
  • I read all the books and I have the 3 disc Director's Cut of the movie. I'll be looking forward to this!
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • I was hoping that instead of them redoing a movie that just covers the first book someone like Netflix/HBO/??? would make a series out of it and cover all six books written by Frank Herbert: Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune, and Chapterhouse: Dune.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    What about "Sand Dune", "Dune Buggy", "Head in the Dune", "Kicking Dune In Your Face", "Draw a Line in the Dune", "Benny and Doon", "The Magic Dunes Are Writ in Gold to Bring the Balance Back", and the one Dune we are not allowed to mention?
  • kevhed72
    Mr. Viking, sir, we are trying to have a serious discussion on the merits of the Dune legacy and how it relates to modern times. OK...maybe not. Any Dune related pug pictures??
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Wow! Looking forward to this one!
    The movie not the Pug............ :p
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Lol. You had to ask.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited September 2020
    I read all the books and I have the 3 disc Director's Cut of the movie. I'll be looking forward to this!

Correction: I have the Director's Cut of the 2000 miniseries with William Hurt. There was also the 2003 miniseries Children of Dune, which I don't have and it's been so long I don't remember for sure if I saw it or not. Since I wasn't in a coma I must've. Never miss any sci fi if I can help it.

The 1984 David Lynch movie didn't do that well and was way too short for anybody to understand what was going on who wasn't intimately familiar with the novels. Frank Herbert up and croaked 2 years after they did that movie and I hope that wasn't what did him in.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited September 2020
    drselect wrote: »
    I was hoping that instead of them redoing a movie that just covers the first book someone like Netflix/HBO/??? would make a series out of it and cover all six books written by Frank Herbert: Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune, and Chapterhouse: Dune.

The original 2 miniseries, Dune and Children of Dune added up to something like 560 mins and they never even covered Chapterhouse Dune which was the last book. It is a mistake to try to do a movie of these 6 fat books but I will be looking forward to it just the same. The Dune Director's Cut which was the first miniseries which I own seems to be selling for $155 on amazon and I got it in a used dvd rack for $5. :Dhttps://www.amazon.com/Dune-Special-Directors-William-Hurt/dp/B0000639EV/ref=pd_sim_74_6/140-6877126-1564253?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0000639EV&pd_rd_r=5e78ca99-07e2-440a-9429-40784f253979&pd_rd_w=33Z1X&pd_rd_wg=DNLSX&pf_rd_p=57d72e28-393e-46a7-b26c-485857f51db9&pf_rd_r=8DR9SSNN1NAD5WFT5VZT&psc=1&refRID=8DR9SSNN1NAD5WFT5VZT

PS: Oh does it really just cover the first book? Well then there is hope because perhaps if it does well there may be 5 more sequels to finally do Frank Herbert justice.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Apparently there is a 2nd movie already planned, I guess as long as this one doesn't bomb. This one will cover the first 2/3 of the book and the 2nd one the rest. Also, there is an HBO Max series coming called Dune: The Sisterhood which is going to be a female centric take on the novel.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Viking64 wrote: »
    kub01kqu5c6r.jpg

Looks too spicy for me...

See what I did there...
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • drselect wrote: »
    I was hoping that instead of them redoing a movie that just covers the first book someone like Netflix/HBO/??? would make a series out of it and cover all six books written by Frank Herbert: Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune, and Chapterhouse: Dune.

The original 2 miniseries, Dune and Children of Dune added up to something like 560 mins and they never even covered Chapterhouse Dune which was the last book. It is a mistake to try to do a movie of these 6 fat books but I will be looking forward to it just the same. The Dune Director's Cut which was the first miniseries which I own seems to be selling for $155 on amazon and I got it in a used dvd rack for $5. :Dhttps://www.amazon.com/Dune-Special-Directors-William-Hurt/dp/B0000639EV/ref=pd_sim_74_6/140-6877126-1564253?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0000639EV&pd_rd_r=5e78ca99-07e2-440a-9429-40784f253979&pd_rd_w=33Z1X&pd_rd_wg=DNLSX&pf_rd_p=57d72e28-393e-46a7-b26c-485857f51db9&pf_rd_r=8DR9SSNN1NAD5WFT5VZT&psc=1&refRID=8DR9SSNN1NAD5WFT5VZT

PS: Oh does it really just cover the first book? Well then there is hope because perhaps if it does well there may be 5 more sequels to finally do Frank Herbert justice.

I enjoyed both immensely. Could never make it through the David Lynch movie.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • I want to see Children Of Dune again now but apparently neither Amazon Prime nor Netflix have it available. I may have to buy it used. Even that 2nd miniseries apparently only covered books 2 and 3, so the last 3 books have never been covered, unless the David Lynch movie glossed over some of their contents. I don't really remember.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • msg
    edited October 2021
    This is streaming now on HBO Max.

Just 2hrs 35 minutes. Not sure what they'll be able to cover in that time, but so far it's pretty cool. Neat to see how they've ported the characters, environments, and technology.
    I disabled signatures.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    msg wrote: »
    This is streaming now on HBO Max.

Just 2hrs 35 minutes. Not sure what they'll be able to cover in that time, but so far it's pretty cool. Neat to see how they've ported the characters, environments, and technology.

I have read that this is part one of two, so it is supposed to cover a lot more background and character development. I am excited to watch it. Is it kid appropriate? Two of mine will watch comic book movies and some sci-do with me…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • msg
    edited October 2021
    Hehe, I don't know that I could be a good judge of kid-appropriate. I didn't think The Lion King was kid appropriate after I saw it and Mufasa got trampled and died. I remember turning to my gf at the time and going, "Why did you make me watch this?!?" :D

There are the themes of betrayal and deep loss in the story that could be upsetting for young children, but the violence and graphic imagery are less hellish which seems less disturbing to me than in the original film. I still can't watch certain scenes in the original. No language and no 8008135 / 5318008
    Baron Harkonnen doesn't have skin boils.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • dromunds
    I’ll start this off by saying I’m a David Lynch fan, but I was somewhat disappointed that this new movie parroted quite a bit from the ‘84 movie. I guess it’s a testament to Lynch. I actually thought Lynch did a better job with some things, the love relationship between the Duke and Lady Jessica maybe foremost. I thought some of the acting in the new one was top notch, most notably Paul’s mother. Paul himself grew on me. But really, now we have to wait until 2023 for the 2nd part? Dune is a very hard movie to make, but so was The Lord Of The Rings. I know the Lynch version was a bit weird for some people but in retrospect I think it was overly edited as the extended version is really quite good. This new movie is well made from a technical aspect but I was disappointed at how close it seemed at times to Lynch’s, even some of the dialogue. I know much of it is from the book but I expected a completely different movie from this director.
  • dromunds
    I will add I thought the “put your right hand in the box” scene was better in the original, although the new one does a pretty good job too. I thought the whole interplay with the Supreme Mother, as well as how the Guild Navigators we’re handled was better done in the ‘84 movie. I don’t even know if this one really discussed folding space much at all but the Guild Navigators were so much better in the original. Also, they mentioned spice was psychedelic but it lacked a meaningful insight into spice from my viewpoint. I enjoyed the new movie but left with a somewhat disappointed feeling. I’ll watch it again in a couple days and see if my view changes
  • msg
    edited October 2021
    I would expect it to be the same or similar for the most part.

I do also agree that the original is still the better. Even if the effects in the new are better in some ways, '84 did a better job explaining things with he narrations and thought overlays. In some ways 2020 failed in effects.

That's a good point you make about the lack of explanation of some key elements, like the folding space example. I sometimes wonder whether they make films easier to follow and understand these days to maintain general audience attention. You really have to pay attention to '84, and there is some story and lore left out in 2020.

The sleeper must awaken.
    (...and go for a bike ride and enjoy some fall weather.)
    I disabled signatures.
  • kevhed72
    My youngest is spending the night at a buddy's house so I am reclaiming my HT room to watch this on HBO Max. I cannot recall the last real movie I watched down there so being re exposed to real 5.1 audio and DLP on a 80" screen should be cool.
  • msg
    It should be fantastic on an 80".
    I never really was much one of big TVs, but I have to say, watching this was the first time I thought, man, I should get a bigger tv.
    I disabled signatures.