Time once again for another new Vehicle.

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,061
So I'm currently rocking a 2017 Dodge Durango R/T in White Knuckle. Love the truck pulled a 13.8 in the 1/4 with it so it's fun.
BUT my need for speed power and muscle only got worse over the last few years so I need to get another car.
I'm looking at the Dodge Challengers in the Scat Pack Form. I test drove 2 of them and man what beasts they are. Both I drove had the Dynamics package so the tires where wider then stock in a 275 40 20 over the 245 45 20. This made no difference in keeping the tires underneath the car. I was driving about 40 mph and stuck it and broke loose the tires. The Torque the 392 has in awesome. Even sitting a red light the Engine is just breathing life into you which therefore makes you want to mash the pedal upon Green. This isn't a good idea as it just spins those big bad boys with ease like someone wet down the road underneath you.
A wide body offers a 305 width tire which maybe that would stick a bit more for around town driving. I plan on Dragging the car so another set of wheel and Drag Slicks are gonna be a need be before I go to the track. Also after at least 500 miles as Dodge locks the car down in it's early miles. You can feel this pretty good as I drove 2 of them one has more miles on it like 100 or more and you can feel the beast unleashing some. The other I drove had 13 miles on it and it felt softer.

What do you guys think of the Scat Pack Challenger models? I'm thinking Frostbite
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,126
    Options
    Octane red with those flares is amazing. Add a satin black hood and you would be rocking it.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »
    You might be a candidate for a Deamon. >:)
    You might be a candidate for remedial spelling and grammar.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,090
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Daemon* as in Maxwell's :)

ucy14au21x59.png

Why not get a Tesla?

Options
    You both might be candidates for pumping each other in the backs of those cars.
    I disabled signatures.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,989
    Options
    msg wrote: »

This is some seriously funny shite lol...

Dan, seriously brother, you’ve got a family to think about. Forgot about the car dude...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Dan, seriously brother, you’ve got a family to think about. Forgot about the car dude...

Tesla S would make a fine family car -- 0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds in Insane Mode & 2.8 seconds in Ludicrous Mode. As Rolls Royce used to put it: adequate.

• mantis
    Options

Kids are older now,24 and 21 no real need for all the extra room. My 3rd row has never been sat in.
    Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    gu87x6y9qr6r.jpeg
    Thats the Red one I test drove which is 2 cars down from my Durango.
    Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    4wu312fljfsh.jpeg
    This is Frostbite. It's dirty but it's a pretty killer color.
    392 T/A package with a Dynamics Package which gets you into those killer wheels at 275/40r20 Width
    Dan
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    Options
    Go for it...….. we aren't getting any younger... thou being behind the wheel of noticeable HP makes us feel a lil younger again......
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,627
    Options
    mantis wrote: »

Kids are older now,24 and 21 no real need for all the extra room. My 3rd row has never been sat in.

Well then take it out for that extra 1/10 of a second....

😉
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Get the widebody if you really want to do it right. The difference in grip alone is worth it. Do not buy at least until you try one.

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,713
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Well then take it out for that extra 1/10 of a second....

😉

Honestly, with how far back it is, it'd probably help with weight transfer on launch. Probably better to take out the 2nd row and front passenger seats. That's about 100 pounds right there, good for a tenth or so.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    JCG Trackhawk.

VERY easy to get over 900whp without killing the transmission.

JMHO.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mantis
    Options
    Get the widebody if you really want to do it right. The difference in grip alone is worth it. Do not buy at least until you try one.
    They had a few of them there. It's a $6000.00 upgrade. It's wider tires front and back with a track suspension. 305 wide tires on Devils Rims

Dan
  • mantis
    edited August 2020
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    JCG Trackhawk.

VERY easy to get over 900whp without killing the transmission.

JMHO.

it's been a long time since I had a fast car. Last one was a 1987 Buick Grand National that I got into the 11's.
    The Scat packs can also get into the 11's with just a tire upgrade. It's completely different how it dishes out power. It's right from idle where the Buick had to build boost for it to scar the hell out of you. The Scat Pack can shred the tires from Idle which is nuts.

I'm actually a bit sick and tired of SUV's even if it was a Track hawk. My neighbor has a SRT Jeep and it's amazingly fast. It also drinks gas like there is no tomorrow since it's heavy. I can't imagine what the MPG would be on a Track Hawk. Not to mention they are around 80-100k which is out of my price range.
    Dan
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,915
    Options

You've earned it, get it. I got rid of my big SUV after my kids went to college, one finished the other didn't.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • mantis
    Options
    You know it's been 15 years since I owned a car. Sure we have a Audi S4 which is my Son's Car that I purchased for him and My wife has a Dodge Charger that I also purchased for her and she had 2 SUV's prior in a Jeep and a Nissan Xterra.
    So I think it's time for me to go back to owning a car again and enjoy driving more. The Durango is a great comfortable pretty quick SUV and I have been pretty damn happy with it.

So here's how it went. My Son and I are car nuts. I have been talking about putting a Toy in the Garage for some time now. But life keeps pushing that dream back and driving pretty expensive to me SUV's aren't helping me get closer to that goal.
    I have an extremely hard time with anything used as I have been driving new cars forever. So my Son said " Why not just get your toy now, then find a Daily later so you at least get your toy?". That really struck a nerve and I have been wanting a Challenger or Charger for myself for years. So I'm on a quest over the next few months to go this route. It really didn't snow at all last year and has been less and less over the past few years. I plan on Daily Driving the Challenger or Charger for awhile until I find a suitable daily Driver like a used something maybe even a Pickup or something all wheel drive.

Either way this is extremely fun to learn all about them, research the hell out of them, Test drive and build them on the website trying to figure out the right build.

Dan
  • rooftop59
    Options
    I just hope you don’t get furloughed again or straight up fired and have to choose between a car payment and a mortgage. Is your job secure? Can you cover six months of living expenses from your savings account? These are the kinds of questions I ask myself before thinking about buying a very expensive toy...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • mantis
    Options
    I just hope you don’t get furloughed again or straight up fired and have to choose between a car payment and a mortgage. Is your job secure? Can you cover six months of living expenses from your savings account? These are the kinds of questions I ask myself before thinking about buying a very expensive toy...
    Thanks for the concern. I already got 2 car payment Mortage etc. The Challenger or Charger I pick up will replace my Durango . My Durango was 55k so I'm use to high payments. The Challenger/Chargers come in under that for my builds so I feel good about the move. I can't live in fear especially now considering what the world is like. My Business is actually doing better since all this madness as people are enjoying their homes even more.

I think life isn't worth living if you don't have toys. I have lived for over 15 years without a toy in the garage and I really Need/Want one bad. Since we Built this house back in 2002, the goal was always to use the basement for a dedicated theater , Office, Play room , Gym and Laundry room. Well, that never happened due to life this and that etc and my Theater dreams have been crushed for the entire time we have been here. It's not that important to me to build the Basement which when I spec'd it a few times was over 75k.

Cars my entire life have been a deep passion of mine, we go to Car shows( Before the virus) all the time. And I look and dream about getting back to my strongest passion. I have many hobbies This, Cars , Guitar , Mountain Biking , Martial Arts, Lifting weights etc and I'm 50 years old now and I don't want to find myself 65 and still didn't go for it.

Dan
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2020
    Options
    ... or pay cash.

(unless a loan with an interest rate very close to zero can be obtained)
  • rooftop59
    Options
    @mantis “I think life isn't worth living if you don't have toys”

Man, 50% of Americans don’t have a life worth living...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • rooftop59
    edited August 2020
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    ... or pay cash.

Yes that’s what we do: buy slightly used and pay cash. I bought a 2014 expedition EL king ranch in 2018 with 40k miles for $30k. A new comparable expedition would have been $85k. Pay out “payment” to a sinking savings account that will then pay for the next car.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,524
    Options
    I think you just convinced me. Do it!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    ... or pay cash.

Cash is always best. I bought my car for cash, and my next (and final) car will be with cash.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,103
    Options
    @mantis “I think life isn't worth living if you don't have toys”

Man, 50% of Americans don’t have a life worth living...

Oh they do, they are just doing it at 18to28% interest
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I concur (re: cash), but, in full disclosure: We've financed identically two vehicle purchases in our married lives.

The first one we bought new, we essentially self-financed (i.e., borrowed against our own money) -- this was in the days when interest rates were crazy high. The net cost of doing that, in those days, was fairly low: 3%

In 2016, Mrs. H financed a good chunk of her new CR-V (after a substantial downpayment). The interest rate was so low (0.9%) for that time that it was more cost effective than spending the cash.

We do not like debt -- even "good debt."

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited August 2020
    Options
    The Challengers are awesome, but they are everywhere.

If you just want a toy get a vette for the same money.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I would, and did, rather spend $80K on a stereo versus a car. A car sits idle 99% of the time, while a stereo can be played 24/7. Of course everyone is different. To each their own. Enjoy the car.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    edited August 2020
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I would, and did, rather spend $80K on a stereo versus a car. A car sits idle 99% of the time, while a stereo can be played 24/7. Of course everyone is different. To each their own. Enjoy the car.

80K? My system cost less than your systems sales tax.

Ok I'm fibbing.
    My system cost less than 1/4 of your sales tax.