Another SDA-1C Rebuild

Clarity CSAs for the High and Low Pass, Mills Resistors, SuperQ Inductors, New Canare 4S11 Interconnect with SpeakONs, Imported Binding Posts, With SpeakON Sockets, New MDF Mounts, @gimpod 's Circuit Boards. All new and existing inductors were hand tuned.

1a270aa4y56b.jpg
8av5trp1vgp1.jpg
0e1isd4momj9.jpg
inu97awcamkp.jpg
Home Theater/2 Channel:
Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer
Cables: Speaker: Furez 10/2 with GLS Locking Banana Plugs
Interconnect: Furez 10/2 with SpeakONs
ICs: Custom Furez by Douglas Connections
Den:
Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps
Carver CT-3 Pre, Carver C-500

dhsspeakerservice.com/
Exclusive Distributor of Gimpod's Custom SDA Circuit Boards

"And keep her under 70, would you, huh? Betty likes a slow ride"

Comments

• GardenstaterGardenstater Posts: 929
    edited May 7
    That's some nice work there! What did you use to pot the binding posts with? If it's hot melt glue, do you have to be careful not to melt the plastic with the tip of the gun? I'm going to be doing this soon to my 7B's when I put in my Cardas binding posts and rewiring with Cardas Litz. I'm also wondering what I'll find when I remove the glue around the brass fuse holder. I hope to be able to desolder and replace the wiring right up to the fuse holder.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub
    Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14 gauge, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • westmassguywestmassguy Posts: 6,627
    That's some nice work there! What did you use to pot the binding posts with? If it's hot melt glue, do you have to be careful not to melt the plastic with the tip of the gun? I'm going to be doing this soon to my 7B's when I put in my Cardas binding posts and rewiring with Cardas Litz. I'm also wondering what I'll find when I remove the glue around the brass fuse holder. I hope to be able to desolder and replace the wiring right up to the fuse holder.

Those are tinned copper crimp ring connectors. I crimp and solder them. The hot glue is applied only to make sure everything is airtight. It's not hot enough to melt the plastic.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Den:
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps

dhsspeakerservice.com/

• tophatjohnnytophatjohnny Posts: 2,906
    Beautiful work brother!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
    Beautiful work brother!

Thank You Brother
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Den:

dhsspeakerservice.com/

• gmcmangmcman Posts: 1,560
    Nice work Dave!
    gmcman wrote: »
    Nice work Dave!
    Thanks
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Den:

dhsspeakerservice.com/

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 16,339
    Nice Work as always Dave
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Nice Work as always Dave

Thanks Ivan
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Den:

dhsspeakerservice.com/

• xschopxschop Posts: 1,407
    I bet those 1C's will wake up. Very nice rebuild WMG.
    xschop wrote: »
    I bet those 1C's will wake up. Very nice rebuild WMG.

Thanks. He likes them
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Den:

dhsspeakerservice.com/

• JazzheadJazzhead Posts: 103
    Dave, you are the Crossover Meister. Sometimes I take the top hats off my speakers and just stare at the crossovers (you rebuilt). There's nothing better than great craftsmanship.
    Polk Audio original RTA-12 (1980) with 12 inch Polk Stands: acoustically/structurally/electrically modified, DHS Speaker Service/David Shirly rebuilt crossovers including Sonicap/Mills, Cardas silver/rhodium binding posts, Neotech UPOCC internal wiring, Sonic Barrier 3-layer, Dynamat, modified internal bracing, overdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged
    Ayre K-5xeMP line preamplifer
    Cambridge Audio Azur 840C CD player
    D-Sonic M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects, Virtue Audio single ended interconnects
    Furez 10/2 speaker cable/connectors in shotgun configuration
    VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables, Silnote Poseiden GS UPOCC power cable
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit/Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet
  • GardenstaterGardenstater Posts: 929

Those are tinned copper crimp ring connectors. I crimp and solder them. The hot glue is applied only to make sure everything is airtight. It's not hot enough to melt the plastic.

Thanks. I used the hot melt glue to fill some switch holes where I had installed some switches in the crossover cups for my 7B's (don't ask lol) and I had some issues with the tip of the gun melting the plastic but that was different where I had to poke the tip in pretty close so it probably won't be an issue for potting the binding posts if I'm careful.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub
    Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14 gauge, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 16,339
    There should be no reason to get the gun that close if you let it heat up a good long time and then just let the glue flow. When the glue stick gets to not flowing as well then let the glue gun sit a bit to get good and hot to completely melt the glue again.
    Jazzhead wrote: »
    Dave, you are the Crossover Meister. Sometimes I take the top hats off my speakers and just stare at the crossovers (you rebuilt). There's nothing better than great craftsmanship.

Thank You
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Den:

dhsspeakerservice.com/

• JE58JE58 Posts: 1
    Hello Everyone.
    Dave's work on my speakers was unbelievably well done...can't say enough about his quality.....but the kicker is the sound quality difference..
    I now hear passages in songs that I've never heard before.
    I did follow Dave's suggestions, and glued the driver magnets. resealed the enclosures, installed the hurricane nuts, spiked them, and dampened the drivers with dynamat and installed the sound absorbing material behind the 6.5" drivers.
    Am so very happy with his guidance in "waking up" my 1C's.
    Take care everyone...... JE58
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 2,156
    Those are beautiful! If you need to send them to me for burn in I'd be honored...
    One foot on audio nirvana and the other in the poor house.
  • FaustinFaustin Posts: 960
    Nice work Dave. As always................
  • aprazer402aprazer402 Posts: 1,857
    Very nice work as usual! Dave PM me a rough estimate of cost, as I have 1C's I would like something very similar done. Thank you.
    JE58 wrote: »
    Hello Everyone.
    Dave's work on my speakers was unbelievably well done...can't say enough about his quality.....but the kicker is the sound quality difference..
    I now hear passages in songs that I've never heard before.
    I did follow Dave's suggestions, and glued the driver magnets. resealed the enclosures, installed the hurricane nuts, spiked them, and dampened the drivers with dynamat and installed the sound absorbing material behind the 6.5" drivers.
    Am so very happy with his guidance in "waking up" my 1C's.
    Take care everyone...... JE58

Thanks Jeff
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Den:

dhsspeakerservice.com/

Faustin wrote: »
    Nice work Dave. As always................

Thanks Bruce
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Den:

dhsspeakerservice.com/