Phase Plug design for MW65xx

Options

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,189
    Options
    ^^^ Awesome Jazzhead, the more the merrier! The thing I still marvel at the most is how much better and real the high hat "tsssss" sound is. There is more tonal accuracy and there is discernable texture in the sound that was not there. Less smearing for sure. My advice to anyone on the fence is to take the plunge, carefully :)
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    Jazzhead wrote: »
    Happy Birthday America and a good 4th to all you fine Polkies. I finally got around to installing the @xschop phase plugs. The "surgery" went well and the sonic results make it well worth doing. I've gained across-the-board clarity and improvement in imaging/soundstage. I'm hearing more realistic reproduction, particularly in the range of vocals, strings, cymbals, drums. As @Gardenstater said these plugs introduce more detail and smoothness. Strings and synthesizers have a more realistic buzz, the overhanging tone of a cymbal between times being struck is very real. I'm getting more sound of fingers sliding on strings. I'm hearing nothing negative. My gear sounds very nice - I was playing Mark Knopler's "Dream of the Drowned Submariner" and it brought tears to my wife's eyes (a clear indication of success). I agree with @Gardenstater when he speculated about how many more speakers Polk would have sold had they sounded like this. That said, they would have sold at a much higher price point relative to the input of materials and labor. If you have the old (65XX) drivers I would definitely add these phase plugs and the @Gardenstater inner driver basket foam mod to the "must do" list. With the right mods these old speakers perform.

c479jbtkh3i4.jpg

Nice addition. Did you add thin felts or paint the cone areas?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    My RTi A7 mids @ Xschop for upgrade.

Thanks in advance Rob.

Tony.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 525
    Options
    I painted the cone area with gloss black Tulip fabric paint, thinned a bit. One coat.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • xschop
    Options
    Jazzhead wrote: »
    I painted the cone area with gloss black Tulip fabric paint, thinned a bit. One coat.

I still cannot tell the difference myself between felt or painted. Glad you are hearing the sonic improvments that I've experienced. I'm still going thru old jazz CDs listening to the new details being brought forth.
  • Jazzhead
    Options
    I was cranking the Rudy Van Gelder remaster of Wayne Shorter's "Adams Apple" (1966), and it just sounds fabulous. It's a big enough change that I am having to play with my speaker toe-in again as the soundstage bubble has become larger. Thanks again for pioneering this mod.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • xschop
    Options
    Wayne Shorter is still relevant and one of my favorites.
    If you can get ahold of Bob James' One album remaster, it's a whole new experience. Think I'll listen again on the 8TLs this weekend.

• xschop
    Options
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    My RTi A7 mids @ Xschop for upgrade.

Thanks in advance Rob.

Tony.

Worked on the RTi-A design today. I'll true the base interfaces up on manual lathe and test fit Monday before painting (I only have semi-gloss black on hand) then gluing/setting...

bw92362yq2b4.jpg

3tzkuhndqz3b.jpg

• gp4jesus
    Options
    Beautiful work so far, Rob. No rush w/the finishing touches 😊.

So many thanks in advance. Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • xschop
    Options
    I believe if you can cut the bass frequencies to these drivers, they will perform even better. Their suspensions are just not designed for low extension especially at higher volumes surely.
  • plastic_avatar
    plastic_avatar Posts: 690
    edited July 2022
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    I believe if you can cut the bass frequencies to these drivers, they will perform even better.
    There's a question... Even on things like the SDAs and Monitor 12, with their big honking passive radiators, do they do better when you take away some frequencies and shunt them to a sub?
    Less of that low-end distortion in the cones, meaning better control, meaning the phase plugs work even better?
    I imagine having a sub that has enough control is a key part, yes?

The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    I believe if you can cut the bass frequencies to these [mid] drivers, they will perform even better*. Their suspensions are just not designed for low extension especially at higher volumes surely.
    *I absolutely, whole heartedly agree! So sorry for the thread derail.

I strongly urge A7 owners who enjoy “spirited listening,” to take steps** to filter** and/or isolate** them from any signals below ~120 hz. Doing so will protect them and improve your mid range SQ.
    **1. redirect lower frequencies by XO to a subwoofer.
    2. Actively bi-amp the speaker*** For best results, remove the woofer LP filtering.
    3. Isolate the mids from the woofers with a divider****
    4. All the above!
    ***tried & succeeded about 6 months after purchase. Stops mid-popping
    **** my Tri-amp build thread. Has pics of the same

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/174880/tri-amped-rti-a7/p1

• gp4jesus
    Options
    @plastic_avatar

I don’t see why not.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    I believe if you can cut the bass frequencies to these drivers, they will perform even better.
    There's a question... Even on things like the SDAs and Monitor 12, with their big honking passive radiators, do they do better when you take away some frequencies and shunt them to a sub?
    Less of that low-end distortion in the cones, meaning better control, meaning the phase plugs work even better?
    I imagine having a sub that has enough control is a key part, yes?

FWIW I wasn't pleased with the results when I tried going active with my 1.2tls and cutting them off at 40hz. The bass from the 1.2tls wasn't as deep and when I tried to make up for the shortcoming with my 18'' sub it sounded "unnatural" for lack of a better term. I had to try it though and now I know.
  • xschop
    Options
    The 65xx drivers' suspensions ARE designed for low freq reproduction as well as midrange, whereas the RTiA 6.5" mids here rely on "roll-off". What Tony has done is the ideal solution as he described. The plugs will be icing on the mid-cake, especially ridding the heavier dust cap. And they'll look cool too😉
  • xschop
    Options
    Test run is a go...

52ebsdj4udwl.jpg

xqaz7mfsmyuh.jpg

• xschop
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Cleaned plugs with alcohol and hit with 2 light coats of gloss-black enamel. Close to what trim rings came as. Watching paint dry...

dda10h313mgu.jpg

at5vo7kpfist.jpg

A deeper investigation has that dust cap glue being some kind of very sticky polyurethane perhaps. I was removing any leftover perimeter glue via surgical tweezers and one area of the cap base ring detached easily. So removing it and glue entirely... Extra time well worth the bonus weight reduction an aesthetics....Plus I get to listen to Donald Byrd and Stanley Turrentine on the 5Bs.😁

ixgyfuc4mseo.jpg

ehbokz7nmpva.jpg

Post edited by xschop on
  • xschop
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I just need to find that elusive black marker for the short VC area that protrudes past the cone.

apkqivx3zr7j.jpg

qh29ch37ytvr.jpg

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    You're amazing!

B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    What solution did you use to clean up the last of the glue?

Looks fantastic.
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • Gardenstater
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I found this info. when researching phase plugs before I did mine. It is from SEAS who employs them in their driver designs quite often:

zaouf9jnv2zz.jpg

zp5ae35dvoxu.jpg

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    Options
    What solution did you use to clean up the last of the glue?

Looks fantastic.

70% isopropyl alc.

• gp4jesus
    Options
    Looking b e a utiful. You are the man, Rob!
    I believe if you can cut the bass frequencies to these drivers, they will perform even better. Their suspensions are just not designed for low extension especially at higher volumes surely.
    In connection w/Rob’s comment to anyone interested in dabbling behind my footsteps, I forgot to mention earlier, start w/a mid HP @ 125hz - that’s Polk’s purported spec. I’ve always had 4th order available so I can’t guarantee lower order @ 125 will work. To protect Rob’s meticulous work, gonna try higher frequencies, not to exceed 300hz.

Rob: PM to you later tonight

• xschop
    Options
    You can play them as low as you want. You won't faze the phase plug.
    I found some time to work and plug the other one so I can mail out Monday.
    I would suggest butyl matting entire frame as the shield on back of magnet will ring as well, then use thin layer Power-grab and re-do the inner frame foam pieces...

dtrg8shxo919.jpg
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    I can't tell it wasn't done at the original factory when it was designed when new.

NICE JOB! <3
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    I’m w/ya 100% on the butyl matting.

+1 w/Tony M!
  • xschop
    Options
    These were definitely fun. I learned some more Polk manufacturing practices. I think the Lsi-X drivers would be the same process to get them done and would convert a set when the time comes.
  • Jazzhead
    Options
    So, I've been reading about phase plugs and they supposedly prevent the cancellation of certain frequencies at the top of a driver's intended range. Seems to be the case. After living with these a while I'm hearing instruments/sounds that I have only heard a "suggestion" of before. Especially involving percussion - like steel drums, cymbals, etc. where there is a tone present where before it was just "one note". But it's present across the entire spectrum as well (vocals) Interestingly, imaging has become ridiculous for these old speakers (and they were good before). The original Polk materials that came with my speakers recommended a full toe-in toward the listener. As these speakers have continued to improve I have reduced that to almost none and I have a huge soundstage and the speakers are now profoundly disembodied. I'm for anything that makes the timbre of any instrument more realistic, and this mod really does that. Good stuff.
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
  • xschop
    edited July 2022
    Options
    The separation definition of male/female vocals by old school duets really caught me off guard.
    Never thought I'd delve into Ashford and Simpson era stuff, but it's also new sonic experience as well.

Minnie Riperton makes Mariah Carey sound haggish.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    How many of these little silver bullet gems are out there in the wild uninstalled? Step right up, everyone's a winner!
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS