Retired! November 22d!

Options
2»

Comments

• mark090852
    Options
    Congratulation! I retired on August 1 and I'm loving every minute of it. I don't think I'll have any trouble with this new "every day is a Saturday" lifestyle.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,039
    edited November 2019
    Options
    As Bart Simpson once observed:
    Working's for chumps.
    I retired in January 2014 (now that I think about it); it's a good gig.
    I was gonna retire in December 2013, but our "HR Partner", to her credit, suggested coming back for a while in January, since the company's policy at the time was that any RFT employee on the books as of 1 January was eligible for the annual performance incentive/bonus payout in the spring.
    I worked for 3 weeks in January and got a very nice little surprise check later that spring.
    I mention this in case any of all y'all who are poised to retire might find this also to be the case. Doesn't hurt to ask, you know? :)
    Oh, I will also mention... I literally worked right up to the end. I was involved in a pretty big deal "task force" at the time (striving to get a new commercial manufacturing facility licensed by the US FDA in a timely manner), and we had a big meeting the last day that I worked. It ended up going until 6pm, after which I grabbed my last few possessions from my office and trudged out through cold rain/wet snow to the parking lot, in the winter darkness, to my car for the long drive from suburban Boston to NH. :p

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    @gp4jesus,
    Congratulations!
    Over 22 years ago I retired, moved from California to New Hampshire, and quickly absorbed all my available time by participating fully in the rearing of our two daughters, being (or trying to be) a far better husband to my wife than I could manage while traveling all over the world ~30% of my time, engaging in some aggressive conservation programs in our small seacoast town, fulfilling my responsibilities as an elected member of the planning board for our Town, and more or less neglecting the main thing I thought I would do in my early retirement years -- that is, write a book or two about my experiences working with and for Steve Jobs and Larry Ellison.
    I recite this autobiographical detail only to illustrate an observation I've made about retirement:
    Retirees fall into two groups --
    1. those who quickly immerse themselves in new tasks and challenges and within 6 months or so wonder how they ever had time to hold down a full-time job, and
    2. those who miss their work and the lifestyle it involved so much that after 6 months or so they stat looking for a second career to occupy their time.
    Whichever group you fall into, or if you define a group of your own, I wish you all the best!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    Whew! I’m more than convinced I’m in the first. Thursday I PUd our turkey, my Pastor asked “Do ya wonder how ya found time to work?” “Yeah!”

Felipe Natale!
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    @Moose68Bash - an addendum of your post:
    A third category:
    a beer in one hand, in the other either a fishing pole or a TV/cable/dish remote.

Felice Natale!
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Moose68Bash
    Options
    I haven't encountered many -- if any -- folks who have retired after 30 or so years in a successful working life and have been satisfied for long drinking beer and watching TV.

My hunch is that those who may have that inclination relatively quickly sort themselves out into my category 2.

PS: I didn't miss your humor! I just chose to respond as if you were 100% serious. :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• gp4jesus
    edited December 2019
    Options
    @Moose68Bash. sorry to burst your bubble w/an element of seriousness - I’m confident more than a few around here would be...
    ...satisfied for [a while] drinking beer and holding a fishing pole or watching TV.
    I haven’t “punched a clock” since Nov 21st. Haven’t had the urge to touch any beer or wine....but the year ain’t o-vah!
    Felice Natale!
    PS: why are my posts 2X spaced?
  • Moose68Bash
    Options
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    @Moose68Bash. sorry to burst your bubble w/an element of seriousness - I’m confident more than a few around here would be...
    ...satisfied for [a while] drinking beer and holding a fishing pole or watching TV.
    I haven’t “punched a clock” since Nov 21st. Haven’t had the urge to touch any beer or wine....but the year ain’t o-vah!
    Felice Natale!
    PS: why are my posts 2X spaced?

I agree completely with your edited version of my comment -- that is, with the addition of "[a while]" to the point I made.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,039
    Options
    I like to putter. I am pretty darned good at it, and I recommend it for those who can handle it.

B)

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I like to putter. I am pretty darned good at it, and I recommend it for those who can handle it.

B)

Well you certainly have enough ruff to make it a challenge.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    I look at this thread and all I can think of is, I can't wait. My brother, retired a few years ago now, reminded me. When your retired, every day is like a Saturday! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • gp4jesus
    Options

B)
    putter? I like to play “Social Golf” but I believe you’re talk in’ ‘bout sumthin else 🥴

• TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,002
    Options
    Congratulations!! 4 years from 1/1/20 and I'll be joining the ranks. But who's counting??
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    Options
    Congrats I have a ways to go
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    Congratulations man! I'm looking seriously at July 2020. That'll put me at 38yrs federal service. Really wanted to go 40yrs....I don't know, we'll see.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options

B)

This me as well, I've become very good at puttering. I stay busy, but at my own pace, which is pretty laid back.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    I'm simply at a point at work that I've been doing the same thing for so long, I'm bored to death with the repetition. Wasted time is a major pet-peeve of mine. I'd rather be traveling, putzing around the house (there's always something that needs to be fixed), or enjoying the hobbies I have, more often.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2