Preorder Cybertruck for $100 down

MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Call before midnight tonight!
    Operators are standing by!

Elon's been puffing the magic dragon again.

On the other hand, the biggest boy model is s'posed to tow 13,000 lbs.

Now... when's the Tesla Tractor comin' out? I mean, Lamborghini makes tractors, right?

:)

Elon Musk is a performance artist* masquerading as a visionary.

edited November 2019
    I do like that they went so edgy with the design. I'm curious to see how big it actually looks on the road. I watched a youtube review of the launch even and I think the most interesting thing they said is that it's much bigger in person than you expect. I don't think I'd buy one for a number of reasons, but I'm excited to see one once they get out into the wild.

Also pleased to see that the pricing is inline with normal truck pricing. I feel like they could have charged quite a bit more on the top model if they wanted to. I like it when something this edgy is priced to actually get on the road vs just being a statement vehicle. This seems to make a statement, while actually hitting all the functional points of a pickup.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    I like boxy things but... Wow, definitely not my taste, lol
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    was that an Onion spoof above?
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    was that an Onion spoof above?

Nope! Apparently they spent a good amount of time talking about the strength of the glass. They did some drop tests from a much larger distance onto some mounted sheets without an issue. But this 100% was an authentic failed demo, which is kind of funny. Apparently they were able to change out the glass before they let guests ride in the truck for the quick mini test rides.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Still clever marketing even if the guy was throwing like a five year old girl. The glass breaking brings a lot of free publicity.

Apparently the price is supposed to be competitive with any full size truck. It's not really a truck though, it's an SUV with a bed in it. Sort of like a Honda Ridgeline.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    That's ugly. Looks like a concept car.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    edited November 2019
    Things a Honda Ridgeline will not do:
    • Travel 500 miles on a tank.
    • Tow 14,000 lbs.
    • 0-60 in 2.9s
    Alea jacta est!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    A Ridgeline has a 19.5 gallon gas tank and can easily go close to or above 500 miles on a tank of gas on the highway. And it can be refueled in five minutes. Hook any consumer truck or trucklet to a 14,000 lb trailer and it won't be going very far unless it's running a diesel engine. I think that weight limit speaks more to the construction quality planned for the structure and rear suspension rather than real world usage. :)

I'm more impressed by their new Roadster.
  • Kex
    To be fair, neither will get to 500 miles in real world conditions.

The Honda will have a low fuel warning at about 17 gallons consumed. Sure, the highest specifications “might” get 25 mpg on the highway if there aren’t too many steep uphill grades, so that’s about 425 miles, but the highest tow capacity available is a mere 5,000 lbs.

The Tesla would also suffer from steep grades, and might not have a charger available at a convenient location, so it would probably and up needing a charge that doesn’t involve a detour at around 425 miles as well.

The biggest question for which there is no answer in my view is: what is the actual towing range with 14,000 lbs. It’s bound to be much less than 500 miles (for the $70K 3 motor variant).
    Alea jacta est!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Ugliest thing I have ever seen. Giorgetto Giugarro comes to mind for their inspiration, but he was a design genius. That thing looks like it was built in a new backyard in Louisiana.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Kex
    Interesting specification comparisons... LINK
    Alea jacta est!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    That is one ugly "fruck"
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Looks like the transport from "Aliens". Better chain it to the garage at night, so it doesn't ugly away on you.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Sad thing is that it will sell. People just love to have the newest and most different things. Many of these new MB and BMW half SUV half sedan looking vehicles are ugly as heck but because they have that emblem on it, it will sell.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Looks like a pregnant DeLorean...
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Kex wrote: »
    Things a Honda Ridgeline will not do:
    • Travel 500 miles on a tank.
    • Tow 14,000 lbs.
    • 0-60 in 2.9s

Things a Honda Ridgeline will do if you buy it then spend another $40,000 on it to equal the $70,000 Tesla:

[*]Travel 500 miles on a tank with the fuel cell you added while modding it
    [*]0-60 in who knows because $40,000 buys you a shiteload of hp and tq

Probably not tow 14,000 pounds even if you put a dog box transmission in it with straight cut gears. Maybe somebody could fab an adapter plate for a diesel transmission though.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Kex
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Isn’t that a tad harsh, Mr. Hardy? After all, love ’im or hate ’im, the Model S has been around (delivered to customers) since 2012, and on the whole, there aren’t very many horror stories. Even the number of notorious AutoPilot failures, or battery fires, are extremely low in comparison to many ICE vehicles immediately after their release. Unwanted acceleration (with sometimes fatal results) from the Lexus ES350 comes to mind (and other Toyota models), but there are multiple class action lawsuits out there from serious mechanical failures too.

On the whole, the Model S, Model X and Model 3 seem to make their owners very happy, and on paper at least, they are very capable.
    Alea jacta est!
  • bbeacham
    bbeacham Posts: 141
    Let’s not forget SpaceX, which seems to be doing quite well.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    bbeacham wrote: »
    Let’s not forget SpaceX, which seems to be doing quite well.

I guess if I could drive one of those things on the moon, I would give it a try. Otherwise......no.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    edited November 2019
  • mhardy6647
    a reasonably interesting 'report' on the new truck, with a buncha photos.
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/22/20976539/tesla-cybertruck-test-drive-electric-truck-pickup-video-features-price-elon-musk

I don't think this was posted earlier in this thread; if it was... my apologies!

My suspicion - this is no more, or less, than a typical Musk/Tesla in-joke. He/they hate modern trucks, the schlubs that buy them and all that both (the trucks and the schlubs*) represent in 2019. So... he/they have their little joke. Their fans will eat it up and relish the irony (e.g., the shattered shatterproof window shtick). Pretty sure that the intersection of the Venn diagram of "folks who want pickup trucks in 2019" and "Tesla fans" is pretty small.

Not a fan of him/them or their antics. I know he's a hip, happenin' rich, "innovative" tech bro. I don't think that's a real recipe for world-changing success, sorry.

iph2zdklgxvj.png

edtulvvtb6he.png

6cqmnmgc658k.png

fme0azackety.png

olr7dwfdr9xv.png

• mhardy6647
    Kex wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Isn’t that a tad harsh, Mr. Hardy? After all, love ’im or hate ’im, the Model S has been around (delivered to customers) since 2012, and on the whole, there aren’t very many horror stories. Even the number of notorious AutoPilot failures, or battery fires, are extremely low in comparison to many ICE vehicles immediately after their release. Unwanted acceleration (with sometimes fatal results) from the Lexus ES350 comes to mind (and other Toyota models), but there are multiple class action lawsuits out there from serious mechanical failures too.

On the whole, the Model S, Model X and Model 3 seem to make their owners very happy, and on paper at least, they are very capable.

They do indeed.
    Doesn't change my opinion of Musk or his ventures.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-worker-part-of-finger-cut-off-injury-not-reported-2019-11
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Looks like something I designed.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    Looks about as aerodynamic as a wall. I'm not a fan at all. I fail to understand why we need an impenetrable vehicle? Was not just 1 or 2 weeks ago one of the cars was involved in an accident and they could not get in to save a driver. Just think now it will be armored panels and armored windows. It was just proven to be a problem with the door handles that failed to release to allow emergency folks access.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/hayleycuccinello/2019/11/22/elon-musk-net-worth-cybertruck/amp/
  • mhardy6647
    Based on the rollout, not much need to worry about access through the windows :#

Here's another take on the Cyberpunk Cybertruck (FWIW).

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2019/11/elon-musk-cybertruck.html?utm_source=PMNTNL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=191122
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Interesting comments about Elon Musk for sure! I tend to agree, although the work he is doing with SpaceX is something that NASA is finally getting on board with. Landing a man or woman on Mars is certainly visionary. If anything, he certainly gets attention.

Interesting also that the electric vehicles these days seem to purposely style their vehicles nowadays, to look different. Head scratching for sure. But the idea is IMO, to make a statement, one can look at it from far away and know that it is electric. Not just by putting a badge that says electric, on a vehicle that looks like all the rest.

I do miss the days when vehicles had more style, than they do today. Yup, I'm stuck a bit. Gotta look to the future I keep telling myself!

But, looking around a bit. Found this little electric beauty! :smile:
    wfi9k9tzskds.png
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1962-chevy-e-10-electric-truck-450-hp-runs-high-13s/#chevrolets-e-10-concept-electrifies-hot-rodding-world
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.