Circuit City going downhill!

MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited May 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I went to CC today just to look around and man let me tell ya, their car audio section is a freaking joke now!

Their amp section is the worst Ive seen. Even worse than Best Buys!!!! They no longer carry the hi end Alpine V12 amps and apparantly they dont carry the MTX Thunder amps either. The only MTX amps they had are the new ones that are about half the price of the Thunder series and they look VERY cheaply made! I hope Im wrong about them but at $170 for a 125x2 MTX when the Thunder502 (125x2) is $350, the new amps look kind of cheesey.

As far as speakers go the best they had were the DB series.

Gawdamighty! What the hell happened?

A year ago they had Polk Momo speakers, Alpine V12 amps, MTX Thunder amps. Hell you could build a competition system with only CC bought parts. Now I would compare CC's audio section to that of Wal-Mart or even Autozone!

At least Best Buy carries RF's Punch stuff so at least they have a little credibility left.

Oh wait, I forgot that Circuit City carries Audiobahn.....whoopy :rolleyes:
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited May 2004
    The last car audio component that I bouht from Circuit City was a Kenwood PS200 amplifier and a 4ch Kenwood, the PS200 should tell you that it was a long time ago. I paid for them to install the amps. The install was a joke, they even put in the cheap RCA's when I had paid for Streetwire Interconnects. I ended up taking everything apart and redoing the install myself. Speakers were out of phase(wired incorrectly), and the install was crappy looking. I had always done my installs myself prior to that, and now eversince that. I went back and got my parts that I paid for. They also credited me back part of the install money.

The only time I go there is if my wife is at one of the stores right next to them, I take a little walk over to see what they have. Also as far as their staff, I have yet to encounter anyone there that knows more than what is printed on those little cards below the product. When they read that stuff to me after I asked them a question about it, I feel like telling them that I am not an idiot and that my Mom taught me how to read, but I just say thanks and walk away. I realize that they may not really like their job, but the way I see it is if you are being paid to do a job, do it right, and if you can't then quit.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2004
    Their first mistake was taking the salesmen off comission. Now theyre paying around $7/hr for a bunch of hip-hop teeny boppers to stand there with their 47 piercings and look at you with a blank stare. The old days, the salesmen were annoying but they new their stuff at least.

I remember back in the late 80s and early 90s, Circuit City installers were the top of the line. At least out here, all the CC installers used to work for the specialty shops around town til they got enough experience to move up to the big leagues.

Its a shame really. Pretty soon there wont be much of a difference between CC and Wal-Marts electronics section.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2004
    yeah...im REALLY surprised wal-marts havent started setting up little sound rooms yet
    BB and CC are getting ridiculous
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • pHilLyBluNt
    pHilLyBluNt Posts: 13
    edited May 2004
    Yeah man, let me tell you, BB and CC carry some quality stuff. If i had enough money to buy some new subs, i would buy 2 12" Dual subs from BB, or either 2 12" P Miller subs from CC. Cuz they're just awesome quality subs right there. (Just Playin) Yeah they used to have some good stuff, but now its just mostly junk.
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2004
    And whats with all this cheap-o crap CC is now selling? Verge and ESA? Who the hell are they?

I mean you walk in the CC car audio department and its almost laughable! If it werent for the good head units they still carry and Tsunami wiring and such they wouldnt have anything worth buying!

Hopefully Tweeter will smack em around some and theyll start carrying some higher end stuff. Maybe start carrying Coustic again and bring back the MTX Thunder and Alpine V12 amps. Then get some Infinity Kappa speakers and some JBL Power and GTI stuff! Now we're talkin'!

Right now Best Buys only claim to self respect are the Punch amps they carry. Even though theyve been in a slump the last few years I still consider RF to be pretty good gear.

• exalted512
    edited May 2004
    speaking of RF amps...i was going to install the one i got back today(warranty) and then i realized i lost my $380 cell phone
    after taking the back seat and sub box out of the truck looking for the damn thing, and breaking my arm rest(well, kind of, its not flush against the door anymore, it sticks out about 5mm), i went to sleep before i broke anything else
    and no i didnt find my phone, and no my amp did not get installed, and no my computer has not been sent from dell yet, and no i do not have the money to buy a new phone
    i love days like this:rolleyes:
    -Cody
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited May 2004
    is your phone on? if so call it and keep walking around with another phone and see if u hear it ring? pretty lame but it could work if it was on. hope you find it!

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    its on vibrate...
    im pretty much SOL and i already tried calling it and walking around to see if i could hear it vibrate...nothing
    i have NO IDEA where it could be
    the only thing i can think of is it fell out of my pocket sitting down some where
    i lost it at school...i think...
    i remember checking the time walking into the building and putting it back into my pocket before first period
    never had it out the rest of the day that i can remember, never take it out and leave it anywhere...if i take it out i look at the time and put it right in my pocket...went home to put it in the charger and it wasnt in my pocket...went back to school and couldnt find it anywhere
    i think im screwed
    i hope someone turns it in or something, but thats a fat chance
    im going to be pissed about this for a while...
    -Cody
  • swerve
    edited May 2004
    some lady was callin my cell a few weeks ago sayin i stole her sons cell phone... she is lucky I was at work sitting in the middle of a cube farm (bunch of cubicles) or I would have lost it. Good Luck with finding it though... I hate losing stuff.

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited May 2004
    What the heck are you doing with a $380 CELL PHONE anyway? I mean, my free phone sounds just as good as yours, but mine was free (dang 2 year contract though). Except for those PDA/Cell combos, I could never spend that much money on a dang phone. The cameras on them suck in image quality, and no one uses the other features anyway. My $.02
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • AustinKP
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by swerve
    some lady was callin my cell a few weeks ago sayin i stole her sons cell phone... she is lucky I was at work sitting in the middle of a cube farm (bunch of cubicles) or I would have lost it.
    Dude, that's awesome! I would have had fun with that lady. :D

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • swerve
    edited May 2004
    i had fun... i sat there and said
    "i don't understand" until she got pretty pissed and kept askin me to cooperate like she was a cop and caught me selling crack or somethin
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    i didnt pay 380 for it
    since i got a new contract, i got the phone for $100
    but if i were to buy a new one, itd cost me that much since i didnt get it with a contract
    and to add to all of this
    read this
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2004
    jeez... yeah, i'd have to say just let it slide. cause if you bring it up and the guy was a cop, then you could bring down a world of pain on yourself for the reckless driving bit. worst comes to worst, change your phone number.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    the **** part is i know for a fact is wasnt me...
    the dude is either making it up or got the wrong person
    but i think im going to let it slide just because i wont be in school much longer and ill be out of this town in a few months
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    where you goin?

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    college
    -Cody
  • swerve
    edited May 2004
    the town where my school is just lost all their cops... they fired the chief, then the rest of the team resigned!!!! so im runnin stop signs and yellin out the windows everyday after school....
    just kidding, but there are no cops in that town now...

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    the **** part is i know for a fact is wasnt me...
    the dude is either making it up or got the wrong person

I think he got the wrong person. I used to live in Texas and EVERYBODY drives a pickup out there! 40% Ford, 40% Chevy and 20% Dodge.

A little trivia.
    More than 10% of all the trucks sold in the entire world are sold in Texas! At first that doesnt sound like a lot but when you think about it its a **** load!

• neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    nuh uh... there's no way that's true, that's an incredible number of vehicles...

cody - where u goin to college??

swerve - man, your town must be total anarchy right now...

• swerve
    edited May 2004
    I don't live there, it's the town that they have the school in... 4 small towns commute to this town to go to school there. I don't like anyone over there so I stay away, the cops had a problem with harrassing (spelling?) as well.

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Texas A&M-College Station
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    swerve - oic... still kinda cool, no coppers

cody - do you know a major yet? i'm goin to carnegie mellon u in pittsburgh... physics (whoopee!!)

• TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited May 2004
    cody...did you have insurance on it? report it stolen..you'll get a new phone! just have to do a police report
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by TrappedUnder Ice
    cody...did you have insurance on it? report it stolen..you'll get a new phone! just have to do a police report
    nope...i was a dumb **** and didnt want to shell out the whopping $4 a month for insurance...
    ive had my old cell phone for 3 years and never so much as misplaced it...
    oo well...i get what i deserve
    and neo-im going into electrical engineering
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    edited May 2004
    Hey, I was doing CS, then switched to Computer Engineering. Same curriculum as EE until like halfway through my junior year. But then I switched to IT, then I switched to Technology Teacher Education w/ an IT minor. Thinking I'll finish this route...

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    and to top things off:
    dell said my computer had been built and tested and was being boxed
    checked the status yesterday and it said it was canceled
    after getting passed around the phone about 3 times i ended up having to re-order my computer because my old one apparently vanished and no one knows why
    so i ordered the same thing...and should be shipped the 25th...
    im just having so much luck lately...unfortunately its all BAD
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    nuh uh... there's no way that's true, that's an incredible number of vehicles...

LOL! Youve obviously never been to Texas! Thats pretty much all you see are pickups....which is really cool by the way! :D
    Texas A&M-College Station

Gig 'em Aggies!

• neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    pretty much all you see are pickups....which is really cool by the way
    eeew... i sincerely hope you're kidding :)

cody - major bummer... maybe you can get a discout for them being f*cktards?

• exalted512
    edited May 2004
    theres nothing wrong with trucks
    but in all honesty, no one else but america really has trucks
    i mean yes, there are other countries, but id venture to say that circa 85% are in america
    theres 3 trucks in my drive way...and one car
    -Cody