What to do about ransom email sent to me?

Options
Changed my password. How did he get my password? I use exclusively iPad Pro and iPhone 6 Plus for internet. Thanks. D
zw51ezvfn988.png
MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,678
    Options
    LOL @ "SATISFYING YOURSELF" :p
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Options
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    Maybe, maybe not hacked.
    They may of gotten your password out of a hacked website.
    Either way, run the checks on your devices.
    DON'T PAY THEM.
    And Apple stuff is not immune to this stuff.
    That's BS Apple hype.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    And if they had control, they'd either hack your bank/credit card stuff, or
    Encrypt your drive. A ransom key to unlock your data is far more likely to
    Get them paid than this nonsense.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Send him one back, ask for 1000 bucks to not turn his arse into the police for trying to extort you.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    I got one and ignored it. Nothing happened. They lied anyway. I have a piece of tape covering my camera, so...... You folks can make anything you want out of that..... :D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    I'll pay it for you. I'm expecting a million bucks from a Nigerian Prince any day now.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,678
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    I'll pay it for you. I'm expecting a million bucks from a Nigerian Prince any day now.

Just a million? He offered me SIX million in 2008. I'm expecting it any day now.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Willow wrote: »

Just a million? He offered me SIX million in 2008. I'm expecting it any day now.

https://youtu.be/_QdPW8JrYzQ
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    That's just nasty. I hope the guy gets caught.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Don't pay the dude, even if it was true, 1000 clams and you can go buy a new computer instead.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,928
    edited September 2019
    Options
    jflail2 wrote: »
    Thanks to @jflail2 you should read that.

First of all, I hope for your sake that you do not engage in such activity in front of your iPad... that would be a bit sad 😂

Secondly, it sounds as though you have nothing to worry about. That was probably an older password (created a long time ago) and used on a website that was compromised (as outlined in the various security breaches that pop up from time to time), i.e. stored on some compromised server somewhere. That doesn’t mean you were not still using it for something today, which is why you might be worried.

Most importantly though:
      [*] Do not click on any links from that e-mail.
      [*] Do no respond to that e-mail.

Also, since you only browse on an iPhone or iPad, your life will be a lot safer and easier if you let Keychain manage your encrypted passwords. They will not only be very complex, but also different for every website or app that you use. In a case like this, it would be obvious that it was an old password and it would only give access to one service.

Keychain is incredibly convenient, because once created by either iOS, iPad OS, Mac OS, they are simply activated by TouchID or FaceID, and shared automagically between all your devices. What’s even more convenient is that iOS, iPad OS or Mac OS can also share the password between apps and websites: if you add a password for the Wells Fargo app in Keychain, for example, it will also be automagically shared if you decide to log in to your Wells Fargo account on Safari instead of the app.

The only password you really have to worry about is your AppleID.
      Alea jacta est!
    1. jflail2
      jflail2 Posts: 2,868
      Options
      There it is Kex. And if you’re not married to the Apple environment then 1Password works as well.
      2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
    2. WLDock
      WLDock Posts: 3,073
      Options
      Dabutcher wrote: »
      Changed my password. How did he get my password? I use exclusively iPad Pro and iPhone 6 Plus for internet. Thanks. D[/img]
      I've receiver the same email. Do not fear the email as its a commonly formatted email that has been going around for awhile.

What probably happened was a security breach on either your email or a site you signed up for that uses your email. Next, your email is probably on the Dark Web and could have been sold to some of these ransom entities out there. You can do a search yourself to see. Also some of the credit monitoring sites will show if your identity may have been compromised. I have the CreditWise service tied to one of my credit cards and it shows that my email password was exposed on the Dark web on sites like linkedin, myspace, hotmail. etc.

So, its best to run a search, find out where the breach happened and change all of the passwords.

The next thing I want to try is one of these password creation and storing software packages to go to a higher level of security.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
    3. westmassguy
      westmassguy Posts: 6,850
      Options
      Get those 2-3 times a year, even claiming they had compromising video from my cam. I laughed because I've never owned a computer with a cam, ever. Just ignore them.
      Home Theater/2 Channel:
      Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
      Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
      Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
      Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
      Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
    4. Kex
      Kex Posts: 4,928
      Options
      For those of you that do have laptops with cams that you never use, there is a tidier option to “hiding” your camera than tape. My work laptops run Windows, and for those, one of the first things I do is enter the BIOS settings (this may require turning off UEFI boot temporarily), and turn off the camera there. After that, the laptop does not detect any camera on startup, and acts as though none is physically present. It canot be turned on by you or anyone else.
      Alea jacta est!
    5. daddyjt
      daddyjt Posts: 2,322
      Options
      Check out the “Shut Up and Dance” episode (season 3, episode 3) of Black Mirror - quite relevant to this topic...;-)
      "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
      ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

6. kevhed72
      kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
      Options
      Kex wrote: »
      For those of you that do have laptops with cams that you never use, there is a tidier option to “hiding” your camera than tape. My work laptops run Windows, and for those, one of the first things I do is enter the BIOS settings (this may require turning off UEFI boot temporarily), and turn off the camera there. After that, the laptop does not detect any camera on startup, and acts as though none is physically present. It canot be turned on by you or anyone else.
      While I trust you sir, I will stick with my piece of yellow duct tape and tin foil hat!

7. sucks2beme
      Options
      Nobody on the internet has yet to hack duct tape.
      And its Red Green approved