BI-amping my A9's , will that result in much difference ?

Options
I happen to have an extra amp and I was going to get a 2nd set of speakers but then again..dont really need that. i just run a 2.1 system

so I thought maybe Bi-amp the A9's ..but how much better will it be if I do that? what would I need to do that besides 2 amps?

Comments

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,329
    Options
    Depending on the amplifiers in question, the difference could be substantial. I would certainly give it a try....
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• gentlejax
    Options
    since I dont have an electronic crossover and my amps dont have any filtering I am not going to attempt it. Im sure I would end up blowing a tweet or mid.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    gentlejax wrote: »
    since I dont have an electronic crossover and my amps dont have any filtering I am not going to attempt it. Im sure I would end up blowing a tweet or mid.

that's probably best. You can't level match unless they are the same amps, and you will just be sending way more power to the tweets than needed. If you want more power sell both and get a beefier amp...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • gentlejax
    Options
    its not so much needing power it was just had an extra amp. I dont think ill do it though
  • gentlejax
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Depending on the amplifiers in question, the difference could be substantial. I would certainly give it a try....

one of your favorites...m500t

• Inspector 24
    Options
    There’s a couple of good 200 W per channel amp’s for sale in the classifieds right now.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Forget the bi-amping, either keep the extra amp as a back-up, or sell it and use the cash to upgrade something else in the system.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • daddyjt
    Options

If you have a pair of 500t, do it. No level matching issues, and it’s not about giving the tweeters more power than they need, but more about freeing the tweeters from sharing power with the low end. As you push towards clipping, your tweeters will thank you for not being starved.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• tonyb
    Options

If you have a pair of 500t, do it. No level matching issues, and it’s not about giving the tweeters more power than they need, but more about freeing the tweeters from sharing power with the low end. As you push towards clipping, your tweeters will thank you for not being starved.

As you push towards clipping ?? The tweets will thank you...by not working.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • daddyjt
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

As you push towards clipping ?? The tweets will thank you...by not working.

All due respect, I should have been more clear -

As an amp runs out of power, it goes into “clipping”, whereby the tops of the wave forms that comprise the music are “clipped”, as the amp does not have enough power to completely form the wave. These clipped waves are seen by the speaker as short bursts of DC current, becoming longer as the amp is driven harder into clipping (more of the wave is clipped).

DC current in a speaker is extremely dangerous, as it radically increases heat. These effects are disastrous to tweeters (they are bad for woofers and mids, but not nearly as bad as for tweets). This added heat can quickly melt the glue that forms the voice coil of the tweeter, thereby ruining it.

The low frequency demands of music are most commonly what drives an amp into clipping, as the power required to move the woofers is exponentially greater than that required to move the small drivers of tweeters. In short, the bass causes the clipping, but the tweeters pay the price.

bi-amping allows the tweeters to be isolated (as they have their own amp) from the effects of woofers driving their amplifier into clipping. The result is better sound, and protection for your tweeters.

Just my own experience... take it for what it’s worth.

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• tonyb
    Options
    Bi-amping doesn't necessarily isolate the tweets.

If you have 2 amps, being driven by one volume control, your sending the same thing to each amplifier. Where most get into trouble with bi-amping, is they think they can crank on the volume dial because of all the power available. This usually results in overdriving the tweets, which is much easier to do than the woofers.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    I do agree though, that the woofers cause the issue and the tweets pay the price. Just my opinion, but bi-amping causes more issues than it's worth. Get a good amp, and know when to turn the volume down, and you'll never have to worry about blown tweets.

In 40+years, I've never blown a tweet in any speaker. Blown tweets are usually from user error.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • daddyjt
    Options
    In my earlier days, before I could afford a suitable single chassis amp, I biamped a few pair of speakers, but especially my Infinity Kappa 9 pair. The woofers on those speakers are sheer torture for an amplifier, and they can clip an amp very easily. Biamping was the way to go then, but now I have the McCormack and the Mark Levinson, either of which have no problem taming those (or any other speakers i own).

I completely agree on blowing tweeters (or any other drivers, FTM) being user error. The only tweeter I’ve ever blown was in my teen car audio days - and yes, completely user error;-)

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn