LSIM tweeter issues

13»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    What is the highest position on the volume knob that you go to?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jimsvm
    jimsvm Posts: 307
    Here is a good one, I clipped my carver 200 x 5 in two channel on my 705s .It was hot. My centre 706 ends up with a popped tweeter, and no issues with the 705s . I only have the 3 speakers on the sunfire. The carver seems to be ok . Yes volume control . Turned 55 this month , not much wiser its seems . O wizer whiskey , ice please lol. Any input would be appreciated. Tks

Rec rm vm30 micro pro 3000 akai 2 channel. ht anthem MTX 5 channel anthem P2 statement anthem 325, 8 channel Martin Logan power amp for 4 ceiling ls900 2 and outdoor polks, 2 JL 110’s subs panasonic 65" plasma lsim 705’s , 706c, L200 and Control 4 garage rig monitor 10s crossovers by VR3, dynamat, RDO-194's, new drivers. psw 111 Pioneer 9040 BDP53fd 100 " screen Nakamichi HD projector, and Panasonic 65” plasma.
  • F1nut
    Check that you didn't cook a resistor instead of the tweeter. If it is the tweeter you'll need to order one from Polk.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Niophant
    Niophant Posts: 6
    Old thread, but I popped the tweeter on my 706c today and thought I'd share how I did it. I've had the LSiM's for about 6 months now, give or take and I've put them through their paces on several occasions. I was originally powering just the 707's and 706c with an Emotiva XPA-3 gen 3, but I decided to swap out my crappy sounding Yamaha RX-A3080 receiver for an Emotiva RMC-1L and upgrade the amp to an XPA-7 to power my rears (2x 702f/x) and my ceiling speakers (2x 900-LS). To get the 707's LOUD I would have to crank the Yamaha up to 0db, maybe even +2 if I really wanted to crank it, and then I was pushing the edge of distortion in the bass. With the RMC-1L -3db is possibly distorting on certain tracks and -5db is loud enough to shake the walls with the bass. I was listening to Lizzo at -5db in "reference stereo" mode after having listened to several other different tracks, just enjoying the speakers. I switched it over to "surround mode" to A/B the difference in sound stage and separation when after maybe 15-20 seconds there was a pop and my 706c tweeter was dead. I have 2 friends coming over on Saturday (today is Thursday) to watch Godzilla vs Kong, so pretty poor timing. I overnighted a tweeter replacement and if I'm really lucky it'll get here in time.

Anyways, hopefully before we completely lose our hearing they'll have stem cell injections to grow back those cilia in our ears so we can crank it up and do it all over again 🙃
  • Hansvelton
    Hansvelton Posts: 151
    Just read all this.

Have we gotten an actual Db level yet?
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited April 2021
    The OP hasn't been here in a year and a half lol. One thing that comes to my mind is that dB levels, which wouldn't be hard to measure with a phone app for chrissakes :) are very dependent upon room size and distance to listening position.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Hansvelton
    Hansvelton Posts: 151
    The OP hasn't been here in a year and a half lol. One thing that comes to my mind is that dB levels, which wouldn't be hard to measure with a phone app for chrissakes :) are very dependent upon room size and distance to listening position.

I have old eyes. Forgive me! I thought this was a 2021 thread..... :D
  • jimsvm
    jimsvm Posts: 307
    Hi all , thanks F1nut. Replaced the tweeter all was ok. Hi volume levels was the culprit. Has the lsim tweeters been discontinued? I’m in need of 4. Thanks for looking.
    Rec rm vm30 micro pro 3000 akai 2 channel. ht anthem MTX 5 channel anthem P2 statement anthem 325, 8 channel Martin Logan power amp for 4 ceiling ls900 2 and outdoor polks, 2 JL 110’s subs panasonic 65" plasma lsim 705’s , 706c, L200 and Control 4 garage rig monitor 10s crossovers by VR3, dynamat, RDO-194's, new drivers. psw 111 Pioneer 9040 BDP53fd 100 " screen Nakamichi HD projector, and Panasonic 65” plasma.
  • F1nut
    jimsvm wrote: »
    Hi all , thanks F1nut. Replaced the tweeter all was ok. Hi volume levels was the culprit. Has the lsim tweeters been discontinued? I’m in need of 4. Thanks for looking.

https://www.midwestspeakerrepair.com/shop/home-audio/tweeters/polk-audio-1-tweeters/polk-audio-rd2513-1-1-inch-dome-tweeter/

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    In need of 4 ? Maybe you should address why you need to crank up the volume dial so much to get crisp sound. Just as a rule of thumb, once you start going over-10 on that volume dial, your entering the danger zone.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    Was there a question since April 2021?

President of Club Polk

• No sir ,I believe my original post was in 2019.
  • F1nut
    jg17512 wrote: »
    No sir ,I believe my original post was in 2019.

Ha, I didn't realize you were the OP.

President of Club Polk

• Yea ,dropped in for a visit,I still have the lsim 707s.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    I loved the sound of the 707’s. For the price paid the value proposition was off the charts. Unfortunately Polk made a few mistakes with the line.

Polk seemed to misjudge popularity and had tons and tons of stock to close out at the end at ridiculously low prices (or they had very little control of their dealers, Adorama was selling the LSI series for like 30 percent of retail) killing the worth of the line. And two, not supporting the speakers past sell off. While my 707’s were always gonna be a stop gap until I was able to move up in the Focal line, if I had t have had the tweeter issues they would probably still be in my room.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • I couldn't agree with you more stangman67,fortunately I didn't pay full price for mine,so I wasn't impacted quite as much.I still have all 4 of mine plus the c channel.I don't use them as mains,so I'm probably going to experiment with them abit more,the finish is pretty nice so I hate to turn them into book ends.I've been looking at replacing the tweeter with a morel et448,or possibly replacing the mid/reenter with a morel tm4055-8 and a totally different crossover,For now there out of my listening room.wreuzamdxkcv.jpg
  • jg17512
    jg17512 Posts: 32
    Nothing is impossible, sounds great so far,expected from Morel drivers..
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Thank you so much for taking that photo while barefoot.
  • jg17512
    jg17512 Posts: 32
    Lol, I'm not one to dress up for the occasion.