Anothet Tragedy in Dayton

Options
Prayers for both cities in these senseless atrocities. Nine dead last night in Dayton, Oh. About 8 miles from our home.

Comments

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    This thread already seems more twisted than the usual mass tragedy condolences thread. Why we now have a pic of the perpetrator posted is beyond me.
    Because he looks totally normal.

Would it be possible for you to remove the picture? I ask respectfully as this thread is for the victims, not the perpetrator. He does not deserve to live in infamy here.
    I will remove the picture, but I totally disagree with the reasoning behind the request. The BBC is one of the world's best news institutions IMO, and it was good enough for them. It also dispels the myth that we can tell who the bad guys are.

Meanwhile, a hate ridden post full of bile gets no request for removal, and two "agrees" (so far).
    Alea jacta est!
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    Would it be possible for you to remove the picture? I ask respectfully as this thread is for the victims, not the perpetrator. He does not deserve to live in infamy here.

^ ^ ^ THIS ^ ^ ^
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited August 2019
    Options
    So I was alerted to these terrible tragedies via this thread. OMG! Horrific events like these always make me a bit introspective, wondering how could this happen? What would compel someone to commit such a terrible crime? I don't have the answer, although I certainly have my feelings about it. We all do! As evidenced on this thread.

But what I do know that I am saddened, and grief stricken, for all those who have been affected. That I know is shared among each and every one of you.

My heart is still twisted in a huge knot, as our dear friend @kharp1, someone we all know, and love, had his father pass away recently. Kerry my continued thoughts and prayers your way sir!

Whether you believe in prayer or not, some folks here call it other things, IMO can be very powerful. Miracles do happen for sure, but the power of prayer IMO is healing. Healing for both the person you are praying for, and yourself, both physically and spiritually. Those times of introspection, or prayer, helps me cope, seek to understand, and receive peace. Healing.

Why do we do it? Thoughts? Prayers? It's called love. Love for your family, friends, and others you have never met, is such a powerful force, it's what makes us who we are.

I for one am focusing my thoughts, and prayers, for all the lovely people who have passed, and those affected, none of whom I have ever met, by this terrible tragedy.

To those people, my thoughts, my prayers, and my love, goes out to you. May you find peace, and healing, during these times.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options

Meanwhile, a hate ridden post full of bile gets no request for removal, and two "agrees" (so far).

It should have been removed, and if we had an active moderator, it would be gone. Thank you for pulling the picture. Tragedies of this magnitude, spread across the country like this... there is a decent chance somebody in our forum family has been touched by these events. My heart goes out to all affected.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Vegas.... As Kex has done, please pull the picture down. If anyone here wants to see evil, they can look elsewhere for it.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,062
    Options

Not true. I mentioned to Tony that he still had 15 minutes left to edit (delete) his post.

I appreciate you taking the picture down and I hope that Vegas follows your lead. I wish news outlets wouldn’t even give the shooters name much less show their picture. All thoughts and energy should go to the victims families.

Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    I agree that its past time to stop showing the perpetrators name or photo, do not be complicit in giving them their 15 minutes of fame. It saddens me that this is where we are in our society. Turn off the hate mongering "news." If they have no audience they have no advertisers and they will cease to exist. I'm doing my part on that front.

As in any slice of life there will always be a small minority that choose to sympathize with the perp rather than the victim for whatever reasoning. Sadly. We will have that here. I want to take the higher road and not get involved with the reality show that has become the American norm. I'm sure I will see many of you on that same road.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,518
    Options
    Thanks, Kerry for your wonderful post above. I’m sure it’s not an easy time for you right now.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    edited August 2019
    Options
    One sad part of all of this is that some people will be glued to to their TVs for weeks. Mass murder = ratings for all the news outlets. Kerry you nailed it.
    Peace,
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    Options
    The really sad thing is that those who lost their lives and those affected by these tragedies will soon be lost in the politicization of these tragic events. There will be pro gun vs anti gun, those who have prejudices and all other kinds of people coming out of the woodwork to explain why this happened. They will bring up video games and movies, they will speak about their upbringing and where the system failed. The tragedy is not only in the lives lost but the lives forgotten when the conversation turns to this. The media inadvertently gives attention to the perpetrator rather than the victim. Let’s do our part and honor those men, women and children here instead of recognizing the person who performed this heinous act.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I'm organizing and ripping some CDs today, including some I had never broken the shrink wrap on. I opened one of those just now and read a quote by the violinist inside. It seemed especially poignant in regards to the events that occurred this weekend in our country.

"The program for this recording was born out of my search for a sense of meaning in the days, months and years following the events of September 11, 2001. I believe that music begins when we cannot find the words to express what we feel. It offers us the gift of empathy, a way for us to collectively distill the experiences and events of the world in which we live. Music gives us a glimpse of the summit of who we hope we can be, while addressing the best and worst sides of who we are."

-Jennifer Koh

I agree with the overall sentiment she expresses, and hope we can use music to unite us at our simplest form, one human race, during these difficult times we're currently enduring in our society.
  • kevhed72
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Glad you changed your initial comment, it was a little callous.

This was meant for kevhed72's comment.
    Thats why I edited it after thinking about it....

• pelhamplace
    Options
    My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited August 2019
    Options

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    My thoughts and prayers got to these people who lost their loved ones, sisters brothers mothers fathers son's and daughters are all in pain and agony.

Please forgive those who voiced their opinion. I too have an opinion but I will keep it private, PM me if you want to know what I think is wrong.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,164
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Totally looks like a mass murderer... (also, shot his own sister).
    b5qq2ir0rin4.jpeg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49229054

Sometimes the eyes are telling, not so much in this case.

If he wasn't wearing them sunglasses you would be able to see his true beliefs and thoughts . BTW All this info is unwrapping quickly within the area this nut job grew up but the MSM won't let that cat outta the bag.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited August 2019
    Options
    oops

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    Options

If he wasn't wearing them sunglasses you would be able to see his true beliefs and thoughts . BTW All this info is unwrapping quickly within the area this nut job grew up but the MSM won't let that cat outta the bag.

If the agenda doesn’t fit the narrative... the loss of life sickens me, and I mourn for those lost and pray for their families.

Those twisting these twin tragedies to suit their agendas and raise money by exploiting the victims and their families... I hope there is a special place in hell for them.

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,164
    Options

If the agenda doesn’t fit the narrative... the loss of life sickens me, and I mourn for those lost and pray for their families.

Those twisting these twin tragedies to suit their agendas and raise money by exploiting the victims and their families... I hope there is a special place in hell for them.

I know the feeling oh too well.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    Everyone should take time out of their day to read the names of the victims of both shootings, in the same way the victims of 9/11 are respectfully read out publicly every anniversary. Read their stories, including the 86 year-old Grandmother in El Paso, the married couple celebrating their first anniversary, the motherless five year-old and what her life will be... Ponder the fact that Dayton was apparently the 251st shooting of four or more victims in the U.S.A. in 2019... meaning that by the end of this week, there will likely have been about five more that will not have been widely reported. Those names won’t even be known, but the tragedy that will alter those families for the rest of their lives will be just as shattering.

There is an in depth analysis on CNN of the Dayton perpetrator’s motives and links to a left leaning Twitter account, high school hit list etc. but why is this even relevant, apparently, to some? Because that too, fits a political narrative? We need solutions for a shared problem, not posturing.

Law enforcement will undoubtedly share more details in due course (following an actual investigation, conducted by professionals, not journalists and conspiracy theorists, maybe?).
    Alea jacta est!
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    And they still won’t discuss Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit... the killings go on there 24/7 and not one peep.

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    Can’t we all just get along?

Watch the following video - You MUST! NOW! And, listen to the words, too. You’ll feel better...really!
    https://www.kare11.com/mobile/video/news/local/land-of-10000-stories/putting-rivalry-aside-loon-pair-adopts-duckling/89-ce1f9633-ec64-4ef9-aa68-695b4e9f8375
  • kevhed72
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    You guys are dancing around the edges of politics in this thread, stop. It's a matter of time before the gloves come off and you all know it. For the sake of the forum, please stop.
    Well said...
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    Peace and solace to the family and friends of the victims or anyone affected. Love is the only solution and answer...

The Steve Wonder song 'Love's In Need Of Love Today' comes to mind...

The force of evil plans
    To make you its possession
    And it will if we let it
    Destroy ev-er-y-body
    We all must take
    Precautionary measures
    If love and please you treasure
    Then you'll hear me when I say

Oh that
    Love's in need of love today
    Don't delay
    Send yours in right away
    Hate's goin' round
    Breaking many hearts
    Stop it please
    Before it's gone too far
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited August 2019
    Options
    And they still won’t discuss Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit... the killings go on there 24/7 and not one peep.

Most of the homicides in Chicago, Baltimore, and Detroit are due to gang members killing each other over drug turf. If gang members started going downtown or to shopping malls and committing mass murder, you'd certainly hear a lot about it.

Historically, killings of organized crime perpetrated against other members of organized crime has received much smaller coverage compared to the case of a serial killer murdering ordinary law-abiding citizens.

Some serial killers, who were organized crime members, such as Al Capone and John Gotti, have even been glorified in the news and entertainment media.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    The mob typically focused on killing mob members only. Gang bangers don’t care who they kill. There is always an innocent little girl or high school kid with a bright future with no gang affiliation caught in the crossfire.

The simple truth of the matter is there are more mass shootings (4 or more victims) committed by these upstanding gang bangers in places like Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit, Los Angeles, etc.... that get no coverage whatsoever. My reasons as to why I feel this happens go beyond the simple “turf war” and would likely get me banned when a mod finally shows up.

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    No need to go into it. Every open minded person knows the history of this Country and how we got to this point in 2019. We know who is running the media and how they pick and choose coverage in order to form their own narrative.

Having grown up a minority in Detroit I might see things a little different than some others from the laid back smaller areas. Things like how relaxed the cops looks apprehending that mass murdered. Yet, I've had cops pull me over for minor things and seem uptight and nervous. Why is that? I'm clean cut, and have a clean record. I know why....rolls eyes.

Like I said, there is no need to go into it.

Hate, Gangs, Killings, Racism, Poverty, etc. America's slip is showing.... in 2019 we are the only wealthy nation that have these type problems in such severity. The numbers are staggering.

If we don't learn to love and look out for each other then nothing will change!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited August 2019
    Options
    The mob typically focused on killing mob members only. Gang bangers don’t care who they kill. There is always an innocent little girl or high school kid with a bright future with no gang affiliation caught in the crossfire.

The mob had/has no problem killing a non-mob member who was/is going to testify against them in court or even going so far as to assassinate a public official or police officer who was threatening their business interests. If that wasn't the case, people non-affiliated with organized crime would not need the services of a witness protection program.

People have been getting caught in the crossfire of "gang bangers" since gang bangers started banging. You seem to believe that drive-by shootings originated with south central LA street gangs. No. This practice began in Europe near the beginning of the 20th century.

22ivv566im6w.jpg
    Nestor Makhno in 1918.

The invention of the drive-by shooting is attributed to Nestor Makhno, commander of the Revolutionary Insurrection Army of Ukraine, at the beginning of the 20th century. This was long before motor vehicles became common. He combined horse and carriage with a machine gun in order to quickly assault targets and then flee before they could properly react. From Ukraine, the practice of drive by shootings spread around the world.

Motorcycle ride-by killings were a common form of murder used by drug lord Griselda Blanco during her years controlling the Miami cocaine trade routes in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Blanco herself died by this method after having been shot twice in the head by a motorcyclist in a drive-by shooting in Medellín, Colombia.

Drive-by shootings and bombings, particularly of family homes in the middle of the night, were also a popular method of execution and intimidation by Ku Klux Klan members during their hey day.

Prior to the rise of urban street gangs, drive by shootings with automatic weapons was a tactic associated with American mobsters. As is the case now, occasionally an innocent bystander would get hurt or killed in the crossfire.

Historically, gang violence perpetrated against other gang members has attracted relatively little coverage from the press, even when all-out wars were raging among rival organized crime families during the 1920s, 1930s, 1980s and 1990s. The media, and the public in general, were largely uninterested as long as only an occasional "civilian" life was taken in the crossfire.

I find it bizarre that you would wonder why victims of gang violence get so little coverage in the press when we live in a country that glorifies gun violence. Look at the number of popular violent video games. Look at the number of movie posters that have the hero holding one or more guns. Even more than that, look at the long history of gun violence in this country going back to the very beginning.
    Post edited by DarqueKnight on
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    It's those darn vidya games. It's 1993 all over again.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk