Too small room: Floorstanding ou Bookshelf speakers?

Options
I intend to build a modest home theater in a room measuring only 10.58 square meters (4.15m x 2.55m; height: 2.60m).
Given the small size of the space, is it utterly unfeasible to use Floorstanding Speakers, and is it mandatory to use bookshelve speakers, or is there any flexibility regarding this option?
My intention would be to buy the Pioneer AV VSX-534 5.2 Channels Receiver, as well as use a subwoofer.
What do friends think?

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    I'd go bookshelf speakers and stands. Given that they'll probably be close to the wall and possibly corner loaded try and go for front ported or sealed.

13.6 feet x 8.3 feet is a pretty small room, you may not even want or need a sub.

I'm in a 10ft x 10ft room for right now and my SDA 2B's sound ridiculous bass wise, it's overwhelming. I think I'm going to put them in storage and setup my Dynaudio bookies instead.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Welcome! Do you see this as being a permanent arrangement? If so, there are many great satellite speaker options out there, such as Polk's Blackstone TL Series. Definitive Technology's ProMonitor line is really nice, too. Either of these would work well with your receiver. That's how I'd do it.

On the other hand, nothing says you can't use towers. Also, bookshelf speakers usually go on stands, so they may also occupy a similar amount of floorspace as towers.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,873
    Options
    You can get floorstanders that have the same footprint as a bookshelf and stands.
    The will probably be better.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    In feet that’s around 13 ft by 8 ft with standard ceiling height. Either small to medium sized floorstanders or any size bookshelfs would work fine on the long wall. I would not bother with surround in that size room but would do 3.1 channels. Bookshelfs would be better if the system is on the short wall.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    The worst scenario would be having the seating against a back wall.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,004
    Options
    I have a very similar size room. It's 13'x9'. Right now I'm rotating 3 sets of speakers. Spendor S3/5's,Nola Boxer 2's,and Hornshoppe Great Horned Heils. The Hornshoppes are small floorstanders. I have great success with all three sets. I'm also running 3 subs.(just to smooth the bass out) 1 HSU VTF 2 mk3,and a pair of HSU stf 1's. Also,my room has a bit of acoustic treatment. To my ears it sounds very balanced.
    The speakers are on the 9' wall,about 34" out from the front wall.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    edited August 2019
    Options
    TEAforONE wrote: »
    I have a very similar size room. It's 13'x9'. Right now I'm rotating 3 sets of speakers. Spendor S3/5's,Nola Boxer 2's,and Hornshoppe Great Horned Heils. The Hornshoppes are small floorstanders. I have great success with all three sets. I'm also running 3 subs.(just to smooth the bass out) 1 HSU VTF 2 mk3,and a pair of HSU stf 1's. Also, my room has a bit of acoustic treatment. To my ears it sounds very balanced.
    The speakers are on the 9' wall, about 34" out from the front wall.

Those Hornshoppe Great Horned Heils look very interesting!
    I always wanted to build my own style speakers using the Original size Heil Air Motion Transformers. I still have my AMT1b's and will surely pass over owning them. My wife also has lay claim to them since we got married. :D If we divorce, she WANTS THEM. :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    I would opt to put speakers on the short wall to give seating more space behind, in a small room scenario. I would definitely go front ported.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    Hi Tony,
    I think Ed Schilling really did a great job with the Great Horned Heils. The magic is in his crossover. The Horns are so detailed,without being bright. I forgot where I read this discription, "these speakers are crisp like fresh lettuce." Or something like that.
  • Tony M
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Hi Tony,
    I think Ed Schilling really did a great job with the Great Horned Heils. The magic is in his crossover. The Horns are so detailed, without being bright. I forgot where I read this description, "these speakers are crisp like fresh lettuce." Or something like that.

I've read cross-over mods on speakers like my AMT1B's really bring the Heil Transformer to a higher level in that it blends the Heil better with what it's paired with.

I had an original sales flyer that came with the speakers. A scoundrel that I lent it to through it away. I wanted to bust his knee caps over that!!

The sales pitch was;

"Sound as clear as light"

I agree.
    The Heil's do female voices very well!
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    In a small room like that, I'd look at two different options.

1. in-wall for the front 3 and in ceiling for the rear. HTS 10 or 12 for the sub, Maybe a HSU VTF 1 or SVS SB1000

2. S15 and S35 mounted on wall with in-ceiling or S10 for the rear. Same options as above for sub.

I think one reason the wife let me get the LSiM-705 was she was seeing me measuring out my kids room for a man cave. She wants to make it her room,,, errr.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    Hi Tony,
    I think Ed Schilling really did a great job with the Great Horned Heils. The magic is in his crossover. The Horns are so detailed, without being bright. I forgot where I read this description, "these speakers are crisp like fresh lettuce." Or something like that.

I've read cross-over mods on speakers like my AMT1B's really bring the Heil Transformer to a higher level in that it blends the Heil better with what it's paired with.

I had an original sales flyer that came with the speakers. A scoundrel that I lent it to through it away. I wanted to bust his knee caps over that!!

The sales pitch was;

I agree.

Clear as light,crisp like lettuce. Is there a difference??
  • remomoreira
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »
    In a small room like that, I'd look at two different options.

1. in-wall for the front 3 and in ceiling for the rear. HTS 10 or 12 for the sub, Maybe a HSU VTF 1 or SVS SB1000

2. S15 and S35 mounted on wall with in-ceiling or S10 for the rear. Same options as above for sub.

I think one reason the wife let me get the LSiM-705 was she was seeing me measuring out my kids room for a man cave. She wants to make it her room,,, errr.

Thanks. :)
  • Tony M
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    Hi Tony,

The sales pitch was;

I agree.

Clear as light,crisp like lettuce. Is there a difference??

yea, one's plastered on their sales flyers, the other tastes awesome when it's chilled. :p