LA / Southern California

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I've been to Fred's not bad, I like Tacos El Gordo a little better, that's jut me. I won't go back to the Whaley ever again. Been there a few times nothing, last time we ran to the closest church.

Anything north of Disney is another state to me...
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Not sure if you can handle Bruce nooshin. Dude is a WEIRDO!

Just playing. I have had the pleasure to hang out with him in AZ. It's a good excuse to visit my favorite town in this state.

I do need to go to LA once in my life, haven't been to CA since I was a youngster and California Adventure opened for its first year.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    All are welcome at my place, except for Russ. I can meet him at the grooming shop and get him flea dipped first.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Had the high honor and privilege of having Al here at my home this evening. He is a great guy to hang out with. His daughter is a fantastic young lady. It was great to meet them both, if only for a very short time.

After a very eventful week in SoCal, it's good to be home. Had a wonderful time bonding with Katie, my "little girl" who's become a young woman in the blink of an eye.

John - it was awesome meeting you, Nooshin, and your son. For those of you in the SoCal area who haven't met John, You're missing out. He made us feel at home in his home. Katie and I loved, LOVED listening to John's system. To see the expression on Katie's face listening to the tricked out SRS's, the PS Audio gear, and the Triangle Art TT was amazing. John takes great pride in his system, and all we can say is 'wow'! He very graciously let Katie pick and choose all different types of music to listen to. He gave her a "concert" type audition with music by AC/DC, the Beatles, Def Leppard, ABBA (Yes, ABBA - I think Katie was even dancing a little to that one!), and many others.

It's too bad we were so exhausted from a LONG day of traveling and couldn't stay longer. A Big thanks to John for inviting us to hang for a bit - he's a first-class guy, and a great friend!

More to come later on the trip itself!
  • nooshinjohn
    Wish we could have had the day Al, perhaps next time. My family and I were happy to meet you and your daughter, and I get the feeling there may just be some SDA’s in your future as well.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    edited June 2019
    scubalab wrote: »

Met up with John. Pros - the concert-like experience; their hospitality; and his son is just too cute for words (he gave Katie a hug and kiss when we left). Cons - Now Katie wants a $30k+ stereo...

Thank God she doesn't want a Porsche! :p

Craigslist, OfferUP and Audiogon are your friends... :p

Sounds like you and your girl had a trip you will treasure for a lifetime, and that my friend, is PRICELESS!

I need your address as well. As I go through my vinyl and archive it, I would like to send your girl some of my LP's I will be getting rid of. If she is into CD's, I have a bunch of them to re-home as well.

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Love this thread. Another example of what CP is all about. Friends and community. So cool! :smile:

John one of these days I'll get back to the left coast! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    You better make certain my C8 is perfect first, or you will be sleeping in the bushes with Russ.

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    It's a well appointed Azalea. Great for entertaining guests...
  • nooshinjohn
    https://delaware.craigslist.org/ele/d/delmar-polk-sda-12/6881815042.html
    I see a great gift for your daughter coming soon...

I am the enabler... it's just what I do! :p

• scubalab
    I'm not sure they'll fit...

ukqlbpfbj8ne.jpeg
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Sounds like you packed an awful lot into that trip! Thanks for the report.
  • ddog
    ddog Posts: 230
    If you are in the San Bernardino area...you absolutely have to eat at Rosa Maria's on Siarra way and 40th in the north end of San Bernardino.
    Absolutely the best Mexican food you will ever have...

• jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Glad you guys got to spend some time in La Jolla. I've not been to many places that I like more than there, and the Grande Colonial Hotel was a great place to stay there. Sounds like an awesome trip!
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • scubalab
    jflail2 wrote: »
    Glad you guys got to spend some time in La Jolla. I've not been to many places that I like more than there, and the Grande Colonial Hotel was a great place to stay there. Sounds like an awesome trip!

La Jolla was one of our favorite things on the trip. La Jolla Cove is amazing with views that are so nice they look fake. I'd been there about 25 years ago when my roommate from Penn State was in Grad School at UCSD. I knew it was a place I had to take Katie to. I wish we had more time to putter around the town, stop at the Salk Institute, and Torrey Pines. Here a pictures from La Jolla Cove (from my phone - we have much better ones on the camera that I haven't downloaded yet).

c80aa25zcqu7.jpg
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,000
    Long Beach is my neck of the woods. Glad you had a mostly good time here. I've not been to the Iowa or Queen Mary. Need to do that.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    I've been to San Diego several times and loved it. I must say that I will never step foot in that state again unless absolutely necessary. I won't even explain why as I'm sure everyone knows why. It's all about principle!
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    scubalab wrote: »
    jflail2 wrote: »

La Jolla was one of our favorite things on the trip. La Jolla Cove is amazing with views that are so nice they look fake. I'd been there about 25 years ago when my roommate from Penn State was in Grad School at UCSD. I knew it was a place I had to take Katie to. I wish we had more time to putter around the town, stop at the Salk Institute, and Torrey Pines. Here a pictures from La Jolla Cove (from my phone - we have much better ones on the camera that I haven't downloaded yet).

c80aa25zcqu7.jpg

You have to see the beaches up North, Carmel is breathtaking but the people leave a lot to be desired.
  • nooshinjohn
    afterburnt wrote: »
    You have to see the beaches up North, Carmel is breathtaking but the people leave a lot to be desired.

Do the hotels up that was issue hazmat suits? I would imagine anywhere down range from San Fran$hithole must smell pretty ripe.

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Blacks Beach is where it's at for......

B)

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • scubalab
    treitz3 wrote: »

B)

Tom

NO!!!!
  • mrloren
    treitz3 wrote: »

B)

Tom

No, no way. A bunch of old people in the raw no no no. I still have nightmares from 30 years ago.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited June 2019
    Anyone from Barstow? I'm sure most have driven through on the way to Vegas from LA.

I joined the Marines to get out and travel and the stuck me at Edwards AFB! Go figure!
  • nooshinjohn
    A WM I used to date went to Barstow when she rotated out of Iwakuni. I went to El Toro. You are welcome to come on by any time you heard out towards Ventura.

I am also planning a trip to MCAS Miramar for their annual Airshow.

• mrloren
    CH46E wrote: »
    Anyone from Barstow? I'm sure most have driven through on the way to Vegas from LA.

I joined the Marines to get out and travel and the stuck me at Edwards AFB! Go figure!

It's BarStool only thing to do there is sit on a bar stool. When we did our 45 days of OP4 @ Irwin we couldn't go father than there.
    A WM I used to date went to Barstow when she rotated out of Iwakuni. I went to El Toro. You are welcome to come on by any time you heard out towards Ventura.

I am also planning a trip to MCAS Miramar for their annual Airshow.

I might go to this years air show, my son will be managing the L&L BBQ booth.
  • nooshinjohn
    Get your butts over here guys. I have a big 6 burner Weber and steaks waiting.

• mrloren
    Get your butts over here guys. I have a big 6 burner Weber and steaks waiting.

Sounds tasty thanks but I'm a 3 hour drive.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    That was an amazing list, I'm impressed you got so much in!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    mrloren wrote: »
    No, no way. A bunch of old people in the raw no no no. I still have nightmares from 30 years ago.
    Hahaha....I asked my old man when I was around the age of 14 where I should go riding my bike. I was outside of San Diego at the time, in El Calhone CA. He told me to just keep heading up the coast until I found Blacks beach, that I will know it when I got there.

When I returned home with a devilish grin, he knew instantly that I had made it.

They were not old the day I went.....dang, there were some lookers! Guess I got lucky.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~