LA / Southern California

Options
scubalab
scubalab Posts: 3,101
My wife and younger daughter are going on a Girl Scout trip June 8-15 to Savannah, GA. So, I wanted to take my 16-year old daughter somewhere cool. She's all into acting, singing, animation, etc. so I booked a trip to California for the same dates (6/8-6/15). I was considering a day or two at Disneyland & California Adventure (we were there back in 2014 and really enjoyed it), however, I'm hearing that our dates coincide with the opening of the new Star Wars stuff there and the crowds are expected to be VERY big. Plus, you need 'reservations' to even get into the new Star Wars land and there are none available at this time.

So, I thought maybe spend two or three in the LA/Hollywood area and a few days in the San Diego area. I found a "Go Los Angeles" pass that seems very reasonably priced and it includes a LOT of attractions - Universal Hollywood, Six Flags, Knotts Berry Farm, Warner Bros. Studio tour, Sony Pictures Studio tour, Madame Tussaud's, TCL Theater tour, several celebrity homes tours, Aquarium of the Pacific, San Diego Zoo, dolphin and whale watching tours, and a LOT more. Wondering if anyone has heard of these passes and if they are a good idea? Or if you think any of the attractions are over-hyped. I would also like to take her up to the Griffith Observatory and the Hollywood sign. We saw it when we were there in 2014, but it was just from a street below.

Anyone out that way (@la2vegas, @nooshinjohn, @BlueFox, others I may have missed) have any cool things you'd recommend? Open to a local's recommendations!

Thanks - Al

Comments

• Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    If you go to San Diego? There is Old Town. Food truck in Target parking lot. From a Seafood Co. $11 gets you a pile of awesome seafood mix.
    Good luck. Dwonmllj9wvf6.jpeg
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    Options
    Never heard of such a pass, but I live in So Cal, so it may not be available out here. From all the locations you stated that should cost around 1k per person not including travel. Have fun.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    edited June 2019
    Options
    PM sent... Where in SoCal are you @Recoveryone?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    Options
    San Bernardino and we are looking at going back into bankruptcy again!!!! SMH!!!
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    San Diego, The Zoo, Balboa Park, Sea World, Wild Animal park Tacos El Gordo for some of the best street tacos.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 616
    Options
    That’s an extensive list with lots of fun things to do. The Aquarium of the Pacific is nice to check out and can be done easily in a half day. Disney is always fun and just a couple of miles or so from the park is Knotts which has some great roller coasters and not as crowded. Lots of fun things to do. Great beaches up in down the coast.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office
    Yamaha A-S501, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Reagan Library and Air Force One...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    Great thread! @scubalab I hope you and your daughter have a great time in LA. I lived out there for a couple years. I'd give suggestions but I'm sure its changed a lot in the last decade since I was there.

On the other hand is there anyone in the San Diego area that has an open door policy to CP members? I'll be visiting the area from the 5th to the 11th with the exception of Friday the 7th as I already have plans that day.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I have one but I am 150 miles north of there... sadly nobody ever takes me up on it. :'(

• HzTweaker
    Options
    lol, I'll keep you in the loop via PM if I get enough time away to travel that far nooshinjohn.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited June 2019
    Options
    You've already got a good list going there, my girls enjoyed Huntington Beach as well especially around the Pier there are tons of shops and restaurants you can chill right in sight of the Pacific. If you venture into Beverly Hills my old haunt was a gastropub called Third Stop, great food, decent prices for LA and a cool crew of servers. Also in Westwood Village TLT Tacos is a former food truck that opened a storefront, right near UCLA. Good stuff!

There is a hike on the other side of Griffith that goes by the old batcave entrance from the 60s TV show, best views of the sign I have seen, and not as crowded. The added bonus is you are in front of it vs behind it like from the Observatory.

I loved LA!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• mrloren
    Options
    Parts of downtown San Diego look like that
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    All big cities in the country have areas like that.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,332
    Options
    Not all. You can scratch many off of your perceived list. Including all of the towns and major cities around me. SMDH. It may be norm for some but not all.

Mark my word on that. Get out of your bubble and you will see.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mrloren
    Options
    Oh my back on topic.

Carlsbad. I was raised there and totally forgot about it. Legoland is good. I don't know if they will let you pick strawberries anymore. There is a farm right there that has the best strawberries.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Go to MCRD San Diego and watch Marines receive their Eagle, Globe and Anchor and the title "United States Marine"... I believe graduation is still open to the public on Friday mornings.

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,332
    Options
    Sorry ladies and gentlemen. Let's get back to the topic at hand. My apologies for leading it astray...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • scubalab
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »

Well, Hot DAMN!! That's the hotel we booked! :#
  • scubalab
    Options
    Back on topic here (and no worries for the side track - it's all in good fun!). It's been a busy weekend and start of this week. We've booked our flights, got a rental car lined up, and purchased a 5-day "Go Los Angeles" card. Working on hotels tonight (want to plan good locations to stay based on what we want to do).

For those who said they weren't familiar with the Go Los Angeles card, here's a link:
    https://gocity.com/los-angeles/en-us/products/all-inclusive

Thanks to everyone for the tips and suggestions. Special thanks to John for taking time this weekend to give me a call and talk about some places to go and places that are over-hyped. Much appreciated @nooshinjohn!

We're definitely going to hit Universal for a day, as well as the San Diego Zoo. As for other attractions, the Queen Mary and USS Iowa are on the top of our list. After talking to John and showing my daughter the Reagan Library, we'll likely head that way to see it as well. She is a little bit of a history buff, so some historical places are definitely on the list, however, we're balancing it with other fun stuff as well. She's all about filmmaking, writing, animating, etc., so one or two studio tours will be a definite.

We're definitely going to have to look into the hike to the old Bat Cave entrance, @MrBuhl - that sounds very cool and a better perspective of the Hollywood sign than the back/side from the observatory.

As for food, I'm going to have to start a list of all these suggestions! We love tacos, and I'm sure we haven't had any near as good as some you all are describing, so one or two of those suggestions will be a must.

We were in Anaheim and LA briefly about 5 years ago, and before that, I was in San Diego a couple times as well as Pasadena when I was in College. Did a day in TJ too with my college roommate, his (now) wife, my (now) wife, and about 8 other college girls. Yeah... I won't dare take my daughter there now!

Since it's been nearly 25 years since I was in San Diego, I don't really remember much. I do recall that La Jolla was a very nice area with a cool town and some nice restaurants. One of my undergrad roommates did his Masters at UCSD and lived in Solana Beach near Delmar Downs, so that was the area we usually stayed. Any suggestions in the San Diego area are greatly appreciated!
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    edited June 2019
    Options
    4nknl9340iiz.jpg
    br51p0f74fa5.jpg
    When in San Diego make sure you go to Old Town, pretty cool place, and good eats the Mexican Cafe is a good spot to eat for traditional Mexican meals, however kitty corner from there is Fred's Mexican Cafe, absolutely the best Tacos in San Diego if your in Old Town highly recommended. I beleive the Del Mar Fair will be going on, plus The San Diego Zoo is a good time. I try to go to San Diego twice a year lived there before, plan on possibly retiring there living winters there that's the plan anyways, enjoy your time in So Cal.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Options
    I thought people were leaving California in droves?!
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,876
    Options
    We had good food and drinks at Frida's in Beverly Hills. We've also had very good sushi in Santa Monica 2x I just can't remember the restaurant. We also had some decent eats along Embarcadero in San Diego
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Had the high honor and privilege of having Al here at my home this evening. He is a great guy to hang out with. His daughter is a fantastic young lady. It was great to meet them both, if only for a very short time.

• HzTweaker
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    4nknl9340iiz.jpg
    br51p0f74fa5.jpg
    When in San Diego make sure you go to Old Town, pretty cool place, and good eats the Mexican Cafe is a good spot to eat for traditional Mexican meals, however kitty corner from there is Fred's Mexican Cafe, absolutely the best Tacos in San Diego if your in Old Town highly recommended. I beleive the Del Mar Fair will be going on, plus The San Diego Zoo is a good time. I try to go to San Diego twice a year lived there before, plan on possibly retiring there living winters there that's the plan anyways, enjoy your time in So Cal.

Thanks For the suggestion @gudnoyez ! On my last day in town I did visit Old Town, and you're right! The best Tacos ever!
    Had the high honor and privilege of having Al here at my home this evening. He is a great guy to hang out with. His daughter is a fantastic young lady. It was great to meet them both, if only for a very short time.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to hang out with ya while I was in San Diego @nooshinjohn . My days were planed out and already full of activities. Maybe next visit I'll have a little more down time to hangout.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    @HzTweaker I would have invited you to hang out in Santa Carnita but this soulless place is no place to vacation but we do have Six Fegs **** Mansion if you nedd your fair share of abuse.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    @afterburnt ..... if you are that close to me, why don’t you get your arse down here and say hi?

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    @afterburnt ..... if you are that close to me, why don’t you get your arse down here and say hi?

My damn schedule! When I am off I am trying to spend time with my kids or I am in Arizona. I should try to catch up with you cause you are like around the corner just down the 405, so that's like a State away lol
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Glad to here you had enough time in your busy schedule to squeeze in a trip to Old Town, everyone that I have recommended Fred's Mexican Cafe to has pretty much said the same thing. I plan on eating there again this September, plus we enjoy checking out the sights, did you have time to see the Whaley house?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • HzTweaker
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Glad to here you had enough time in your busy schedule to squeeze in a trip to Old Town, everyone that I have recommended Fred's Mexican Cafe to has pretty much said the same thing. I plan on eating there again this September, plus we enjoy checking out the sights, did you have time to see the Whaley house?

We didn't stop by the Whaley house, but I'll put it on the next trips itinerary(because I'll be going back for more tacos!). Thanks!