When is Polk releasing a new speaker line?

Options
rburgess714
rburgess714 Posts: 616
Just curious when Polk is going to come out with a new line that best the LSIM series? Any insights or speculation?
Living Room
Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office
Yamaha A-S501, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    There was something in the works, but at this point I don't think they are going to offer them. Sadly, Polk seems more interested in releasing lifestyle products that don't work instead of making what they have always been known for, hifi speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    There was something in the works, but at this point I don't think they are going to offer them. Sadly, Polk seems more interested in releasing lifestyle products that don't work instead of making what they have always been known for, hifi speakers.
    If that's true they'd better start paying a lot more attention to the Customer Service and Troubleshooting sections of this Forum. Never thought I'd see the day that mediocrity was an acceptable standard for them. :angry:

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    This is interesting. Like my biz, that is setup for mass production, high volume products for profit. Very difficult to develop a niche, most likely lower volume product that would be profitable. I imagine Sound United is not very different.

At least in my biz, It literally takes the same amount of resources to develop a low volume product as it would one that sells over 100,000 units/year. From design, engineering, validation & testing, manufacturing, etc. In order to make money, you would have to charge an exorbitant price to make the business case.

On a personal level, it saddens me. But I work for a company that has to make money for it's shareholders.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Who know's.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »
    Who know's.

Didn't you have the inside scoop at one time? The heck with that NDA, cough it up! :p
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    The corporate strategy some years ago appeared to be to maintain Polk as a budget friendly brand and Definitive Technology as a higher performance brand. In terms of design there is nothing really wrong with the LSiM speaker line. It still looks contemporary and performs well. Since Polk has been selling the LSiM line at half price for years now, it appears that is not the intended market position for the Polk brand.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Which is ironic in my opinion as I always considered Def Tech inferior.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rburgess714
    Options

That’s what I recalled but hadn’t heard anything about it in awhile. That’s too bad but I guess the mass market demands sound bar and Alexa enabled garbage.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    Shoot, you ain't the only one. Sandy asked me what I thought of his TOTL speakers at a demonstration in Charlotte a couple of years back. I just smiled, nodded my head and left the room as quickly as my feet could get me out.

Reminded me of an old Cerwin-Vega setup my friend had back in the day....but worse.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Shoot, you ain't the only one. Sandy asked me what I thought of his TOTL speakers at a demonstration in Charlotte a couple of years back. I just smiled, nodded my head and left the room as quickly as my feet could get me out.

Reminded me of an old Cerwin-Vega setup my friend had back in the day....but worse.

Tom

Reminds me of my experience with some speakers that will remain nameless at an audio show. I walked in, stood there for a moment to get a listen. A rep walks over and asks me for my thoughts. I put my fingers in my ears and headed for the door.

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Polk has something in the works.
  • verb
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Polk has something in the works.

Tease! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Yeah, it's been in the works for years now. Don't hold your breath.

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Options
    Well at least it's still in the works and hasn't been shitcanned.
  • rburgess714
    Options
    Well at least it's still in the works and hasn't been shitcanned.

Do tell.
    Living Room

Office

• Clipdat
    Options
    Reminds me of my experience with some speakers that will remain nameless at an audio show. I walked in, stood there for a moment to get a listen. A rep walks over and asks me for my thoughts. I put my fingers in my ears and headed for the door.

Pretty much my experience in this room at Axpona. It was shocking how bad it sounded. Unlistenable.

dftoit6a7x5l.jpg
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Do tell.

I already did. :)
  • verb
    Options

Pretty much my experience in this room at Axpona. It was shocking how bad it sounded. Unlistenable.

dftoit6a7x5l.jpg

Oh no! Not the Macs?!? :smile:
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited May 2019
    Options
    @treitz3 that was golden ear and they did sound terrible

Definitive was always home theater first, of which, they are awesome. Sandy gross was far better at marketing than anyone else at Polk. He knew how to market definitive as a higher end brand, from a parts stand point, they have always been one tick above the rti line.

Lots of smart decisions from how the lines were developed and built. Imo

The new def tech lines are awful
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    Ah, you are correct Trey. Thanks for clarifying. It was Golden Ear...Tritons or something like that. I've heard more accurate bass coming out of Russ' posterior.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    edited May 2019
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    ... I've heard more accurate bass coming out of Russ' posterior.

Tom

Well, @lightman1 represents a large-ish enclosure; his Fs is probably pretty low, you know?
    (although I really don't want to dwell too much on thinking about how his port is tuned)

:#

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    Thank god it's not a sealed enclosure...
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Thank god it's not a sealed enclosure...

True, but that power port has been plugged for years now.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Just saw this thread. I wouldn’t expect anything remotely resembling a decent speaker ever again having the Polk name. Their owner is interested in maximizing profit while keeping costs to an absolute minimum. After that cow is milked dry then that’s it.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    JBL re-introduced their classic line, why can't Polk audio resurrect their Monitor line?

A new Monitor 7, heck yea! :p
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • rburgess714
    Options
    guess we will see but doesn’t sound promising
    Living Room

Office

• BlueFox
    Options
    Because Polk Audio no longer exists. It is just a name for the current owners to milk until it no longer is worth anything. Then it will be retired.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Because Polk Audio no longer exists. It is just a name for the current owners to milk until it no longer is worth anything. Then it will be retired.
    Whoa, you're quite negative tonight. I'm thinking that since you retired, maybe you didn't even realize it was Friday!?! :p
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Sorry. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Beer and retirement- quite the combo...