Troubles with hearing dialogue

Options
124»

Comments

• honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Options
    Yes and now you have a dedicated power supply that is not having multiple components inside the chassis competing for juice from it-like you do with an avr.
    It's ONLY job is to amplify the signals sent to it and send them out to your loudspeakers.

On a side note I would give you the very same recommendation that I have given many, many people with surround systems.
    Lift the surround speakers up higher.
    That is one of the most common errors I see in most home theater systems. Use a movie theater as an example. Look at where the surround speakers are in a theater. There are actually written, published standards for how the soundtrack is mixed and where all of the loudspeakers are supposed to be.
    Lift them up another couple of feet and I PROMISE you WILL hear a difference for the better.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Congratulations, you are now hearing what all of your speakers are capable of, and it's NOT about how loud they can go, but how clear they can play. Pick some music you THINK you know inside and out and play it now, report back once done if you can drag yourself away from your system! :D
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    Yeah
    What she👆🏼 said
  • Bgoodfella
    Bgoodfella Posts: 107
    Options
    Yes and now you have a dedicated power supply that is not having multiple components inside the chassis competing for juice from it-like you do with an avr.
    It's ONLY job is to amplify the signals sent to it and send them out to your loudspeakers.

On a side note I would give you the very same recommendation that I have given many, many people with surround systems.
    Lift the surround speakers up higher.
    That is one of the most common errors I see in most home theater systems. Use a movie theater as an example. Look at where the surround speakers are in a theater. There are actually written, published standards for how the soundtrack is mixed and where all of the loudspeakers are supposed to be.
    Lift them up another couple of feet and I PROMISE you WILL hear a difference for the better.

How high should I lift up the speakers in the back? They are roughly 2 or 2'6 above the ears If i remember correctly
    (2) Rti A7's
    (1) CSI A6
    (2) FXi A6's
    Denon AVR - X4300H
    Monster 850i interconnects ( not sure what everyone hates about these - maybe my untrained ears are too innocent to know what's bad)
    Parasound HCA2205A amplifier
    Sony XBR65X900E TV
  • honestaquarian
    edited June 2019
    Options
    fuigoigvpbas.jpg

About the same height as the curtain rods, give or take a few inches.
    This gets them away from your ears and allows for more dispersion of the surround sound field in the room before it reaches your ears. Each and every person to whom I have given this tip (who actually followed it) over the last two decades reported back an improvement.
    Don't forget to run the Audyssey again after you move them, so it can account for the change in distance. Or if you know how you can manually change the distance yourself after pulling out a tape measure.
  • Bgoodfella
    Bgoodfella Posts: 107
    Options
    Really? Weird I set them based off of looking at various diagrams for home theaters. I may give it a try and see what it's all about!
    (2) Rti A7's
    (1) CSI A6
    (2) FXi A6's
    Denon AVR - X4300H
    Monster 850i interconnects ( not sure what everyone hates about these - maybe my untrained ears are too innocent to know what's bad)
    Parasound HCA2205A amplifier
    Sony XBR65X900E TV
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    Bgoodfella wrote: »
    Really? Weird I set them based off of looking at various diagrams for home theaters. I may give it a try and see what it's all about!

At least you have them up on the walls already. I have seen MANY home theater systems with the surround speakers sitting on stands or on tables at or below ear level (including one just two weeks ago)
    Again if you go to any movie theaters take note of where they place the surround speakers. They are where they are for a reason and there are published standards on their placement (as well as the placement of every loudspeaker in that theater)
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    I think the current height is fine, considering they're on a wall directly behind the seats. Movie theaters may mount them higher, but that's based on dispersing the sound over a greater distance. Think about drawing a line from your ear to the speaker, and then consider the angle of that line. The further you get from the listener, the higher the speaker will be to maintain the same relative height.

There's not a whole lot else you can do with this layout, IMO. How's it sound?
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    There are also published reports that say to mount them 2-3' above the seated listening position, which is where the OP seems to have them. This is a home, after all, and not an actual theater, so that's also got to be taken into account; theater ceilings are much higher.

I had a pair of small(ish) R15s that I used for surround duty years ago, and I played around with where they were located quite a bit. I even had them up in the top corner of the room (8' off the floor, about 4' above SLP) and I found having them near the ceiling made them sound worse. When I replaced them with FX500i surround speakers, I mounted those behind the primary location, about 2' above the SLP. The in-walls that replaced those are in the same location. If he can move them around (*without too much fuss), it's certainly not a bad thing to try.

I do agree that having them on or near the floor is not a good idea at all ;).
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • BjornB17
    BjornB17 Posts: 752
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I've always had this problem with RTi center channels in many different room and equipment configurations. It seems to me like there is a resonance within the voice frequencies that muddy up dialogue a bit. Part of why I'm looking forward to upgrading to LSIm's as I've heard that the first thing people notice in relation to RTi center channels is dialogue clarity.
    KEF Q150 | Rythmik F12 | Yamaha Aventage RX-A780
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    @Bgoodfella
    How has everything progressed with the system?
    How is the Parasound?
    How is the Denon?
    Were you finally able to get through to them?
    Have you made any changes to the speaker positions?
    If so did it make any difference?
    Looking forward to an update.