SVS SoundPath Ultra speaker cable review

Options
Clipdat
Clipdat Posts: 12,600
edited May 2019 in 2 Channel Audio
I've been on a bit of a "budget wire" kick recently, exploring various types of lower priced speaker cable, as well as balanced and single ended interconnects.

I'd heard a while ago that SVS got into the cable game, but finally decided to give them a go in my system after reading about them over in this thread: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/186015/svs-makes-cables/p1 - These speaker cables are "reasonably priced", at $96 for a 8' pair. I actually ordered 2 pairs - 4 wires total - so that I could bi-wire my PMC twenty.22 speakers using the 4 sets of binding posts on the back of my PS Audio S300 amplifier. Each channel features two pairs of posts, which makes bi-wiring easy even with cables that aren't inherently bi-wire - Thanks PS Audio!

8jeoro04c7j9.jpg

So just what are the SVS SoundPath Ultra speaker cables anyway? In my opinion, these are cables that are being marketed toward music lovers that haven't yet succumbed to the audiophile "sickness". In a way, kind of like a speaker cable meant for people who think all speaker cables sound the same. "My first aftermarket speaker cables", if you will. The focus seems to be on good materials, nice construction, quality terminations, and an attractive braided jacket.

Before we get started on the review, lets take a closer look at one of the marketing descriptors: "12 AWG stranded speaker wire – Each SoundPath Ultra Cable is made with two braided Dual Balanced conductors, with a total of 82 strands of 99.99% pure stranded copper across both conductors." (emphasis added by me)

So if I am interpreting that correctly, each two conductor cable is made with a total of 82 strands of copper wire, meaning each individual conductor consists of 41 strands of copper wire. So on the surface, these are being advertised as "12awg cables", but if I am understanding SVS's marketing material correctly, that's the total gauge of both conductors, not each individual conductor. I believe this is slightly misleading as most people are just going to see "12 AWG" and not read further. Correct me if I am wrong, but with standard 12awg stranded OFC speaker wire I was under the impression that each conductor is 12awg in size. I may have to reach out to SVS for clarification on this, since I feel that as written, the description on their website is difficult to fully understand.

Moving on to the physical cables themselves, they appear to be above average quality. If it weren't for the SVS logos on the banana plugs, I might guess that these were made by Audioquest. Definitely a nice looking cable, with a quality braided jacket that doesn't at all look or feel cheap. Another positive attribute is that I did not detect any foul or off-putting stench/aroma coming from the cables when I removed them from their packaging.

us5ha8iv76m7.jpg

I tested these cables for several weeks, including letting them sit undisturbed for 10+ days while I was out of town. I'm confident that they were able to fully settle in to my system. After weeks of listening, I took a page of notes about what I was hearing.

Let's get started with some of their positive characteristics. Tonality and accuracy are good. There's good "realism", meaning that piano and voices sound as they should. I'm not able to detect any blatant coloration. They have a neutral presentation that is not bright or fatiguing. Very detailed highs and upper midrange, and bass is not boosted nor is it reduced.

On the surface, hearing "more detail" immediately after hooking these up would potentially create buyer satisfaction for most casual listeners. However, in my opinion, there's many more elements of their performance that need to be considered aside from just detail retrieval.

On to their negative characteristics. The first and most blatantly obvious thing I noticed is that the sound seems to be mostly localized to the speakers themselves. The soundstage width seems narrow and relatively flat. The sound does not extend past the physical left and right edge boundaries of the speakers. While there is some amount of center imaging, there are no 3d stereo imaging effects at all which I found very disappointing.

Overall, their coherency is only average. The fact that the sound is so localized really takes away from this. It's as if the sound can't spread out and give each element it's own space, and as a result the coherency takes a big hit.

In regards to general musical engagement and enjoyment when listening with these cables, I wrote the following note: "Where is foot tapping and head nodding?". I was simply not being "drawn in" by the music I was listening to. I realize this is an extremely subjective observation, but it was one that I confirmed during several listening sessions. For this reason, I would rate their musical engagement factor as "average".

They do have some positive attributes, but unfortunately I feel that their negative ones outweigh them. Namely, how the sound is just so flat and physically localized to the speakers. No 3d imaging, no cohesive wall of sound. Your speakers are definitely not going to "disappear" with these.

That being said, let's take a moment to think about price to performance and who these are being marketed toward. I paid $192 to try these in a bi-wire configuration, to which I would say that is definitely not a good value. However, if most people are paying $96 for a pair, and they're able to hear an "improvement" over standard wire, then perhaps that would be money well spent.

Ultimately, even at $96 for a 8' pair, I personally cannot recommend these. I don't feel they bring enough to the table in terms of performance, and I think the money would be better saved and then put toward a higher level of speaker cable. Of course, your mileage may vary. These might have great synergy with other speakers below $1k for example.

In conclusion, I'm giving these a 5.5 out of 10.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    Well written, thanks for your review.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Nice, well written review, Drew.
  • Clipdat
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Thanks guys! Hopefully you didn't read it before I went back and cleaned up a few mistakes I noticed after I posted it. It's been a long day.

Anyway, as I was unhooking these earlier this evening and going back to the previous cables I was using, I was thinking to myself how it's unfortunate that some people might just think that their speakers are "supposed" to sound so localized.

It just wasn't pleasurable to have such a flat presentation. I don't particularly like it when it sounds like the music is coming directly from the speaker itself.

When I fired my system back up with the other cables, the difference was not subtle. The sound expanded and spread out, and my beloved 3d imaging effects returned.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    After all these years I've found that most of the time it is best to buy an audio product from a company that specializes in that product.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    Good reads, Great review!
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Fantastic review. Well done and Thank You.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Very good review! The cables almost look like audioquest type 4 with better bananas.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Clipdat
    edited May 2019
    Options
    For reference, I was comparing these SVS cables against the KnuKonceptz Krux 8' bi-wire speaker cable pair, which sell for $110 shipped: https://www.ebay.com/itm/KnuKonceptz-Krux-Interlaced-Braided-8-Gauge-Bi-Wire-Speaker-Wire-Cable-8-Pair/382747321152

http://www.knukonceptz.com/home-theater/speaker-wire/krux-speaker-wire/sp/krux-kable-interlaced-braid-3d-copper-8-gauge-speaker-wire/

These actually cost less (vs the equivalent "bi-wire option") and in my opinion easily outperform the SVS cables.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Well written Drew! Great detail, informative, and easy to read.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,442
    Options
    Nice write-up, Drew. So the KnuKonceptz cables offer the expanded stage and 3d imaging?

This sounds like a good setup. What are you using for front end and source for this configuration? And the associated interconnect cables?

I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    edited May 2019
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Nice write-up, Drew. So the KnuKonceptz cables offer the expanded stage and 3d imaging?

This sounds like a good setup. What are you using for front end and source for this configuration? And the associated interconnect cables?

Yes, exactly. Within about 30 seconds of playing the system with the Knu cables connected again, I noticed a wider soundstage and some 3d imaging effects returning. Most notably, it's just a much more enjoyable sound from top to bottom when it's not so localized to the speakers.

For this review the equipment being used was the following:

PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC/preamp connected to PS Audio Stellar S300 amplifier via Kopul Premier Quad Pro 5000 Series XLR cables.

Sources were Tidal via the Cambridge Audio CXN V2 connected with Audioquest King Cobra RCAs, and a Marantz CD6004 connected with Audioquest Black Mamba II RCAs.

Shunyata Venom 14 power cables used on all components except Marantz CD player which was using a generic 14ga power cord.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,055
    Options
    Well done sir. Very well written with good, honest (and understandable) feedback regarding performance.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Keep it up drew. I personally think you have better ears than mine and I’m happy to see the growth in knowledge you have gained from the few shows. If you keep on this path you might just find yourself doing professional reviews with a reputation to support them.

Agree. I think we have a budding freelance reviewer among us! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I was looking at the Krux cables. I was thinking of going down the DIY route to save some cash. How do you feel the banana connectors are from the already assembled pair? Lord knows getting decent banana connectors can cost a bit.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Clipdat
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I was looking at the Krux cables. I was thinking of going down the DIY route to save some cash. How do you feel the banana connectors are from the already assembled pair? Lord knows getting decent banana connectors can cost a bit.

These are the BFA style banana connectors that are used on the KnuKonceptz cables: https://www.ebay.com/itm/KnuKonceptz-eKs-BP2-BFA-Style-Gold-Plated-Banana-Plugs-Pack-of-4/390431170789

Regarding the construction and overall fit and finish of the KnuKonceptz cables, I would rate them as average. It's just two set screws on each banana plug that are screwed down into the copper wires, no solder. Either during assembly or shipping, some of the screws must've backed out slightly as a few of them felt like the wires were loose inside the banana plug. I checked each one and snugged up screws as necessary using a small flathead screwdriver.
    Post edited by Clipdat on
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »

These are the BFA style banana connectors that are used on the KnuKonceptz cables: https://www.ebay.com/itm/KnuKonceptz-eKs-BP2-BFA-Style-Gold-Plated-Banana-Plugs-Pack-of-4/390431170789

Regarding the construction and overall fit and finish of the KnuKonceptz cables, I would rate them as average. It's just two set screws on each banana plug that are screwed down into the copper wires, no solder. Either during assembly or shipping, some of the screws must've backed out slightly as a few of them felt like the wires were loose inside the banana plug. I checked each one and snugged up screws as necessary using a small flathead screwdriver.

Thanks! I'll probably end up getting my own connectors and do it myself. I was toying around with getting some Douglas Connection Bravo cables. If I go through with both I'll let you know my thoughts.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,637
    Options
    Nice review, Drew. Well written and very descriptive.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,027
    Options
    A lot of manufactures do not use Solder when connecting banana plugs, fwiw. I know Doug doesn't use solder on some of his products. Doesn't really make a difference, IMO.

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Dennyreffner
    Options
    This is interesting, as I had quite a different perspective after adding the SVS Ultra speaker cables! My old cables were a high end (for me anyway, $325) pair of Tellerium Q BlackII cables. They always sounded excellent, but in the never ending search to get better sounds, I just tried the SVS. For me, the stereo image got much clearer, and the balance and overall sound very clearly improved. I could really feel the guitar blazing on an Aerosmith song, and the delicacy of a Patricia Barber piano solo was fantastic! I put my Tellerium cables on EBay yesterday, lol! For my money the SVS Ultra cables are a winner!
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Thanks for the mini-review. What speakers are you using?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,442
    Options
    RTA-15TLs?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Dennyreffner
    Options
    Right now I am running a pair of KLH model 5’s. They sounded like tin cans at first, but I played them in an empty basement room for a solid week 24/7, and they gradually started to bloom! eventually added my first DAC, a Denafrips Ares II. My amp is an Outlaw Audio that’s kind of a beast. Threw in a Cambridge Audio music streamer. I am a pretty happy camper up here in the mountains in Colorado 🌞
  • Clipdat
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Cool, nice system. Glad the SVS speaker cables are working out for you.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. Hope you stick around and talk audio with us. We like to talk about all gear and speakers, not just Polk!
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,004
    Options
    Synergy is the name of the game.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    Just to be clear as I didn't see the clarification, a 12g cable is 12g each conductor not a combination of the 2. I never saw that in any speaker cable company.
    Thanks for the review, it was well written and easy to read. It's been a long time since I did a cable review.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.