new to Polks...Just picked up a pair of SDA1B's...to mod or not to mod....

Options

Comments

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    B&K is another good option. Re. Adcom's lack of speaker protection, keep in mind the missing protection is if something internally goes wrong with the amp and it blows it WILL send the DC to your speakers. There are a couple of ways to combat that, a speaker switch is one (although I wouldn't advise one as it will introduce more to the signal path). There are upgrades that will add speaker protection to your Adcom as well.

I have only had a couple of issues with my GFA545 but they all involve me being stupid and all that happened was I blew a fuse in the amp channel.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • 91rtstealth
    Options
    haha..ok...good to know...

I was just thinking..
    as far as preamps go, is there any real downside to just getting a nice surround sound receiver with preouts and using it as a preamp? that way I could still use the channels from the receiver's power amp for some small speakers for tv/movies/whatever and use the preout and separate power amp to drive my big **** polks for listening to music...or is there a real noticeable difference when getting a dedicated 2 channel preamp?
  • codycatalist
    edited April 2019
    Options
    haha..ok...good to know...

I was just thinking..
    as far as preamps go, is there any real downside to just getting a nice surround sound receiver with preouts and using it as a preamp? that way I could still use the channels from the receiver's power amp for some small speakers for tv/movies/whatever and use the preout and separate power amp to drive my big **** polks for listening to music...or is there a real noticeable difference when getting a dedicated 2 channel preamp?

Is there a difference...yes. I have (and currently am) using an AVR pre outs to a 2 channel amp which is powering my 2.2 HT. Like they say an AVR is a Jack Of All Trades, Master Of None. Will it work and possibly sound pretty good, yes. Will it be taken to a different level with a dedicated 2 channel pre, yes.

That being said there are plenty Processors from reputable companies that sound great in 2 channel and can do HT as well.

The world is your oyster... Shuck it.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    All depends on your perception of " good enough" as listening to music goes. Some people are perfectly happy listening to a boom box. Let your ears choose. Don't rely solely on others opinions. Vintage electronic over 20 years old often sound dull compared to more modern electronics. It's all a journey.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    When it was me, I bought a real HT processor (not a HT receiver) and separate power amps. I just don't see any reason to screw around with receivers if sound quality is important. The whole point of receivers is to market a product with as many compromises as the market will bear in order to drop the price.

It doesn't HAVE to be that way, but that's the way it functions now.
  • 91rtstealth
    Options
    gotcha....this all makes sense. I'll continue the search for a decent 2 ch preamp...I've been looking at Adcoms and Nad's...they seem fairly affordable.
  • codycatalist
    Options
    Take a look at the older Denon PRA Preamps. They are cheap and sound nice.

• lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    Options
    I've been using a Yamaha RX-V665 into a variety of 2-channel amps with my 3.1TLs with no complaints. The V665 is pretty awesome.
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • 91rtstealth
    Options
    Take a look at the older Denon PRA Preamps. They are cheap and sound nice.

yeah..something like that looks nice...I would like something relatively newer so I don't have to worry about doing a total overhaul or anything like that...but mainly..i want a remote...haha...

I'm really considering just trying out a real high end (older) Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, HK, etc audio video receiver with pre outs. You can get fairly high end stuff for $100-200 on craigslist due to a lack of some modern video or surround sound feature that I could care less about. I really can't imagine that a separate preamp from 80's is going to sound 10 times better..
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • 91rtstealth
    Options
    ok...i'm just wondering what you guys think of this...

I'm probably going to get an Adcom GFA-555 and GTP-500..in fact, I found two of them together 4-5 hours from me. Anyways, I'm pretty sure i've decided on the power amp..just not sure of the preamp yet...

would you recommend I get an Adcom GTP-500, or a Marantz AV7005 processor that I found on Facebook Marketplace for $300 asking price. I'm tempted to get the Adcom because it's a purpose build preamp for listening to music with a phono section (apparently a good one too) and a remote...but that Marantz is newish and has everything I need (and more). ..wouldn't the more modern Marantz sound better? They make pretty damn good stuff..
  • jimmylee123
    jimmylee123 Posts: 105
    Options
    Bruh, listen to them first for a bit.. See if you like them.
  • 91rtstealth
    Options
    the guy with the adcom gfa 555 just told me that it's been on for almost 20 years straight and he has only turned it off a few times for a power outage...is this guy totally insane or is there something I don't know about high current amps?
  • codycatalist
    Options
    I really can't imagine that a separate preamp from 80's is going to sound 10 times better..

I wouldn't make that assumption, every separate preamp I have heard regardless of age sounded better than an AVR.

I'm probably going to get an Adcom GFA-555 and GTP-500

I haven't had the experience but from what I have read pairing Adcom Amps and Pre's usually doesn't sound too great unless you go the TOTL Adcom Pre.

the guy with the adcom gfa 555 just told me that it's been on for almost 20 years straight and he has only turned it off a few times for a power outage...is this guy totally insane or is there something I don't know about high current amps?

Constantly turning on and turning off a high current amp can shorten the life span as the sudden jolt to charge up the capacitors is a bit harsh on the caps.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    Many keep power amps on constantly, that being said the 555 is about ready for new caps. Very easy to work on.
  • 91rtstealth
    Options
    wow...I did not know this...it kind of scared me away from it honestly, but I trust your opinions...that's why I'm here..haha..

is that super draining on electricity or the opposite since you're not constantly charging up those giant caps?
  • 91rtstealth
    Options
    also....probably another newbie question...i'm way more familiar with car audio and pro audio (i'm a musician by trade)

with pro audio, you typically have to turn the pre amps on first, then turn the power amps on, otherwise you get a big pop that can damage your guitar cab, PA speakers, or whatever you're using...is it not the same with this stuff? I would have guessed I would have had to had the same powering on procedure....when turning on: pre amp first, then power amp....and when turning off...power amp first, then pre...to avoid the popping..
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Nice list you have going.... Here is a quick list of amplifiers i have & had & used on SDA's. Parasound 2250. Acurus 200×3 (sweet amp). Had Adcom 555 & 545. Denon POA2200 (sweet amp). Most all i did with seperates & could be used in HTfronts set up. All i listed never broke a sweat with SDA 1c 2B or Crs+ speakers. I did have a McIntosh 100wpc amp i never used on SDA's & i also had a NAD & Carver AVR100 (sweet) i used on B&W speakers & other Monitor Lsi speakers. So much out there. SDA's sound awesome on tube amps too :) . Keep in mind older amps may be due for refresh & some like the Adcom 555 can be upgraded. If the price is right & you got a local tech or DIY - you are styling. BTW lets not forget some Carver amps i hear about on CPolk. So many temptations

Dude that's a lot of amps! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • codycatalist
    Options
    also....probably another newbie question...i'm way more familiar with car audio and pro audio (i'm a musician by trade)

with pro audio, you typically have to turn the pre amps on first, then turn the power amps on, otherwise you get a big pop that can damage your guitar cab, PA speakers, or whatever you're using...is it not the same with this stuff? I would have guessed I would have had to had the same powering on procedure....when turning on: pre amp first, then power amp....and when turning off...power amp first, then pre...to avoid the popping..

Yes same process in this game as well. Not all amps have this characteristic but if you are going Adcom then yes Source/Preamp turn on > Amp turn on > Amp turn off (wait for the caps to discharge) > Source/Preamp off.

I personally DON'T leave my Adcom on all the time but that is due to lack of speaker protection and the fact I don't get to listen as much as I would like. I wouldn't worry about your electric bill going up keeping these on, they aren't 1000 watt Class A Monoblocks.

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    Nice list you have going.... Here is a quick list of amplifiers i have & had & used on SDA's. Parasound 2250. Acurus 200×3 (sweet amp). Had Adcom 555 & 545. Denon POA2200 (sweet amp). Most all i did with seperates & could be used in HTfronts set up. All i listed never broke a sweat with SDA 1c 2B or Crs+ speakers. I did have a McIntosh 100wpc amp i never used on SDA's & i also had a NAD & Carver AVR100 (sweet) i used on B&W speakers & other Monitor Lsi speakers. So much out there. SDA's sound awesome on tube amps too :) . Keep in mind older amps may be due for refresh & some like the Adcom 555 can be upgraded. If the price is right & you got a local tech or DIY - you are styling. BTW lets not forget some Carver amps i hear about on CPolk. So many temptations

Dude that's a lot of amps! :smile:

Ive had more. Heck i got the McIntosh for 25.00 mint with manual from a brain surgeon Dr :)
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I really can't imagine that a separate preamp from 80's is going to sound 10 times better..

I wouldn't make that assumption, every separate preamp I have heard regardless of age sounded better than an AVR.

I haven't had the experience but from what I have read pairing Adcom Amps and Pre's usually doesn't sound too great unless you go the TOTL Adcom Pre.

Constantly turning on and turning off a high current amp can shorten the life span as the sudden jolt to charge up the capacitors is a bit harsh on the caps.
    im not sure where you may have read the info on Adcoms. MY experience with Adcoms is different. Ive had 3-4 different preamps on Adcom amps ive owned. Both the 545 555 on SDA 1C 2b Crs+ & other brand speakers including 901 Bose (that explains it) speakers and with each lower end preamps & they all sounded pretty darn good for a amp under lets say 300 for amp & preamp. ... Heck i did some reading on the original Klipsch Heresys & they had bad reviews. I then paid 400.00 (mint/boxes) & hooked them to Yaqin MS30L tube amp with Yaqin tube cd player. Wow they sounded very good. Go n listen to it set up & let your ears decide. There are lots of amplifiers out there if its not for you

Post edited by boston1450 on
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    edited April 2019
    Options

Opps. Already answered
    Randy/Maine
  • codycatalist
    Options

im not sure where you may have read the info on Adcoms. MY experience with Adcoms is different. Ive had 3-4 different preamps on Adcom amps ive owned. Both the 545 555 on SDA 1C 2b Crs+ & other brand speakers including 901 Bose (that explains it) speakers and with each lower end preamps & they all sounded pretty darn good for a amp under lets say 300 for amp & preamp. ... Heck i did some reading on the original Klipsch Heresys & they had bad reviews. I then paid 400.00 (mint/boxes) & hooked them to Yaqin MS30L tube amp with Yaqin tube cd player. Wow they sounded very good. Go n listen to it set up & let your ears decide. There are lots of amplifiers out there if its not for you

Yeah that's why I had the disclaimer of not my experience lol. Just some things I read when I first got my GFA, I figure it's better to inform under the context of "whispers from the outside" than not.

I guess that's what keeps this whole thing fun is how different opinions and experiences can be.

• boston1450
    Options
    What Adcom you using ? I have always wanted to listen to a Gfa535 with some small bookies. Ive heard its quite the little amplifier. Maybe someday
    Randy/Maine
  • codycatalist
    Options
    What Adcom you using ? I have always wanted to listen to a Gfa535 with some small bookies. Ive heard its quite the little amplifier. Maybe someday

I have the 545 MK1, it works well in my room as the room isn't too big and this gives enough juice to get the SDAs to open up.

• 91rtstealth
    Options
    thanks guys...this is super helpful..I'm still thinking it over, but I think I might make the drive and pick up this combo...it seems like a good introduction for me to the world of separates...I don't have a super huge budget, and I love getting a lot for my money and I keep reading that these amps are pretty amazing for the money. However, it's an 8 hour drive round trip..haha...but if I can get the amp and preamp (both of which are the ones I've mainly been looking for), remote, original brochures, all in good shape from what I believe is the original owner for around $400, I should probably do this, right?
  • 91rtstealth
    Options
    hmm...I just found an Aragon 4004 Mark II near me for $600....anyone know anything about these? and are they common ground?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    hmm...I just found an Aragon 4004 Mark II near me for $600....anyone know anything about these? and are they common ground?

Very nice amp. IIRC they are not but can have the grounds strapped together for common ground.
    I'd reach out to Aragon in Indianapolis Indiana for confirmation.