T50 tower speakers cutting out

Options
Both speakers independently cut out. Lightly tapping on the speaker cone fixes the problem for a while, then it starts cutting out again.
All connections are tight, and it doesn’t cut out when the speaker wires or terminals are jiggled.
What could be wrong?

Answers

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    Sounds like the internal wiring is loose. Take them apart and check the connections.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    I would start by cleaning the speaker terminals and your connectors first. How are your wires terminated?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    ^that was my initial thought. If the VC's of the drivers are damaged (ie the coil is broken/open), pressing the cone of the driver temporarily re completes the VC circuit and allows the speaker to play while the cone is being pressed in
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius