PS Audio Stellar S300 power amplifier

Options

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,596
    edited March 2019
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Interesting they don't have a traditional power supply.

The power supply is integrated into each ICEpower module.

300AS1.jpg

300AS1_scale.png
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    Yup, you can see that black vinyl coated AC mains cable coming from what appears to be an IEC power module on the top right in the photo I posted before, going to the first ICE module (the one on the right), and another one (maybe "Y" connected?) going to the other one.

plv2tr4z3gxn.png

PartsExpress sells the ICE modules, FWIW, if you get the urge to roll your own amp with 'em.

They're available with or without the power supplies onboard.
    Seems like a good, outboard linear supply might be a nice way to go with 'em... but who knows?

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/audio-amplifier-boards-modules/3464?N=23287+4294967118+4294960619&Ne=10166&Nrs=collection()/record[endeca:matches(.,"P_PortalID","1")+and+endeca:matches(.,"P_Searchable","1")]&PortalID=1

https://icepower.dk/products/amplifier-power-modules/
  • Clipdat
    edited March 2019
    Options
    That's cool that those parts are available for hobbyists! Too bad the one they use inside the S300 isn't available.

From what I understand about how PS Audio integrated these, the "magic" comes from their analog gain cell input stage. I believe they "voiced" this section to add some "tube-like" qualities, as well as control other elements of their performance.

So, as it seems like in DACs, the actual implementation of the available technology is the skilled/challenging part.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    I am thoroughly blown away with the performance PS puts into these pieces. Amazing tech and incredible sound for the $$
    So excited to get up and running.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,426
    Options
    I can't get over the performance you guys are seeing out of these things. Pretty cool. I'd love to check out some of this gear. I'd probably have to glue lead weights to it just for placebo.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    I know, That's what I was thinking.

But Bob Carver made his rail amps and at 40 lbs or so put out 3,000 watts and ran cool too. I had one. The Sunfire 600X2.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • OldSchoolPolk
    Options
    I believe these units all use the Icepower ASX700 module:

PS Audio Stellar 700 - $2,998 (a pair)
    Bel Canto Black EX - $11,990
    Legacy Powerbloc2 - $1,700
    Parasound ZoneMaster 2350 - $1,295

I'm saving my pennies. I've never read a bad review of the PS Audio units. The Parasound has the most flexible in/out control so it's a contender as well.
    HT: Marantz NR-1603, Oppo 981, Def Tech SM55, SVS PB-1000
    BR: iPad Mini, Audio Engine A5+
    2C: Parasound ZDAC V.2, Sony DA80ES, Sony XDR-F1HD, SVS Prime Tower, JSE .6 Infinite Slope
    Office: MBAir, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, JBL LSR-308
    Projects: Polk RTA12, Polk Monitor 7, Revox B225CD, BIC 3-TM
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2019
    Options
    It is fair to expect that for-profit audio component companies include "added value" design elements and/or hardware to these off-the-shelf modules when they "productize" :p them. I have no doubt that the "analog modules" added by PS Audio to their amps are doing something. It would be interesting* to see what's in 'em and/or what they're doing, of course. :)

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    If I had the resources, this would be my next audio purchase (along with the matching PSA Stellar preamp of course! :D ).
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Clipdat
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    * Will be interesting, if, e.g., Stereophile tests 'em. JA will do some quantitative assessment as a counterpoint to the froofy audiophile prose that makes up the bulk of their reviews! :)

https://www.stereophile.com/content/ps-audio-stellar-m700-monoblock-power-amplifier

https://www.stereophile.com/content/ps-audio-stellar-m700-monoblock-power-amplifier-measurements
  • joecoulson
    Options
    These things are beasts. If there is one thing about the Elacs that they did well it’s the power handling. The bi amping with the mid/high having the lower ohm rating showed me that. They love power. And these have it for days.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    * Will be interesting, if, e.g., Stereophile tests 'em. JA will do some quantitative assessment as a counterpoint to the froofy audiophile prose that makes up the bulk of their reviews! :)

https://www.stereophile.com/content/ps-audio-stellar-m700-monoblock-power-amplifier

https://www.stereophile.com/content/ps-audio-stellar-m700-monoblock-power-amplifier-measurements

Very cool, thanks for sharing those -- although I was asking about your 300. Very different performance parameters than a Class AB amplifier, based on JA's measurements.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Yeah. It'd be nice if they reviewed/measured the S300, but I figure the measurements of the M700 are "similar".
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2019
    Options
    That is probably true -- probably just offset in "output" relative to the M700.
    Shape(s) of the curves probably similar.

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    Looked up a photos for those (e.g., me!) who might be curious.
    d2xaz47f64sn.png

FWIW, I've never (well, not since I was college-age) considered price a very good marker for degree of 'fi'.
    Man do those ICEpower modules with the built in power supplies clean things up. This Steller line looks to be a nice move by PS Audio.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Are these ICE modules produced by the same company that produced the ICE amps for Pioneer Elite receivers? I thought Pioneer and B&O had some kind of joint venture for designing the ICE modules in the Elite models and now I hear a Danish company is producing the ICE modules for PS Audio. I understand the other components associated with the ICE modules vary (perhaps substantially) given the various price points and other constraints or lack thereof in the final products, but just wondering if we're talking about the same or similar ICE modules? Just don't be calling me ICE curious.... Lol.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    Options
    I have to say, the more I listen to this amp the more I'm amazed. Seriously, at $1499 new it's a bargain and I only paid $950 used :^ / I'm just stunned.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Clipdat
    Options
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    I have to say, the more I listen to this amp the more I'm amazed. Seriously, at $1499 new it's a bargain and I only paid $950 used :^ / I'm just stunned.

See guys? It's not just me who thinks it's amazing. :)
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2019
    Options
    or, another interpretation is that these amps don't retain their resale value very well...

;)
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Options
    @Clipdat How long are the XLR’s between the pre and the power amp? Thanks.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    $950 used isn't that far off new considering Wally sells them for $1199 on a regular basis.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    stretchl wrote: »
    @Clipdat How long are the XLR’s between the pre and the power amp? Thanks.

10 feet. Why do you ask?
  • Clipdat
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I had an incredible musical experience earlier when I listened to a song I've probably played 80 or more times, and tonight heard particular elements of it in a new way.

It literally felt like certain elements of the song were wrapping around my head, like I was hearing them from the side and also coming from behind me. This crazy sensation served to completely envelop me and put me inside the music, and as a result I felt like I was closer to it than I've ever been before. I could fully appreciate every single sound within the song, however minute, with crystal clear detail and clarity. I was getting performance out of my speakers and system that I didn't think was even possible.

I can't recommend the PS Audio Stellar Preamp & S300 stack highly enough. If you are on the fence, do it. Either hit up Wally at Underwood or order it directly from PS Audio with the 30 day trial. If you love music you really owe it to yourself to hear what this gear is capable of with your speakers.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, with the 30 day trial you literally have nothing to lose - and everything to gain.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    $950 used isn't that far off new considering Wally sells them for $1199 on a regular basis.

You mean Underwood? Well you can't find a listed price under $1499 anyway. I have no idea what most people are paying. Regardless, it's worth it.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Drew - dont forget the PMC's which have been waiting to be pushed by this setup
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Well they didn't sound like this with the Bryston, that's for damn sure.
  • gvera
    gvera Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi,

I am willing to buy this amp or the M700 monoblock along a Stellar Gain Cell pre.
    The problem is I live in Uruguay and we have 220V/50hz here and I want to buy them in USA and import them as it is way more cheaper that way.
    Wally (from Underwood) says it's simple to convert the power supply from 110 to 220 by just resoldering the input wires.
    As it seems you have opened and checked the boards, is this true?
    Is it easy to see what you need to change?
    Thanks for any help.
    Regards,
    Gustavo
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Sounds like he said “buy them in USA”
    If the buyer takes US bought merchandise back to his home country, how is a dealer liable?