Ferrofluid replacment

Options
So I have an older SF center channel that I picked up a while back. My AVR has started to go into protect mode at high levels and although I will be ready to upgrade that soon (receiver ) I wanted to try something that I read might help the situation.
The Sonus Faber center has a fabric tweeter that’s ferrofluid cooled. Obviously this being an older tweeter, the fluid might have been bunked up and not doing its job properly.

I ordered the fluid and started work.
Removed the tweeter from the enclosure and separated the magnet from the face/coil

pyazta04c4gm.jpeg
xf3qnxshh0lw.jpeg
2g8p2i25j2dl.jpeg

I then took some of the soaking strips included with my ferrofluid purchase. Curled them to fit into the gap between magnets and soaked up as much as I could with that.

uirv7rzmw1ik.jpeg
5tuum61koc46.jpeg

For the final part of the prep, I took some alcohol swabs and cleaned in the gap and also the voice coil (very carefully) and alll was clean as a whistle.

i11ouvut1y82.jpeg

I then took the Ferrofluid and cut off the tip of the applicator and proceeded to fill the cavity. I’m sorry I didn’t get any shots of that as I was focused on getting it filled correctly and didn’t think about it until done. This part was tricky as the fluid wants to hang at the surface and not drain down into the cavity. I felt like this part was a little guesswork and put what I thought was the right amount. Here is a shot of the fluid

pmppykfzp3i5.jpeg

After all was done I put it all back together is this part was the most surprising. The tweeter has come alive. At least 3-5db increase in output. Wow. That was worth $7
Very happy and now have the confidence to tackle again should the need arise.

Comments